filming documentary at Gastons this year

Re: filming documentary at Gasons this year

And to counter point Doc's post, Gaston's is more about the people that attend than the planes they fly. Sure, Aviation is the thread that holds us together, but ultimately it is the people and their stories that is what Gaston's is all about.

Okay, this might be kinda long, I don't blame you if you ignore it.

I have a particular bone to pick with producers of many of the documentary style, or event driven filmography. It seems like the producer or director or both get so caught up in themselves, and the pie-faces around them that they completely forget what they are there to cover!

For example, I often watch the RM classic car auctions. Now, the idea is that fine, vintage auto are sold to over-fed, over-moneyed idiots on TV. Invariably, the camera will spend about 15-45 seconds on the face of some announcer/buyer/seller/auctioneer that I couldn't give a wet dribbly spit about, and a quick 3-6 second shot of the car/chassis/interior/engine/wheel/etc.

So, I implore you, keep the camera off the talking heads. And please, please I'm begging you - I absolutely don't want to know about the new puppies that the pilot/owner/operator has. I don't want or need to know about his flying career over the last 40 years in the Yukon. I don't care at all that the pilot's wife's aunt was Amelia's next door neighbor back in the 20s. If it's about Gastons, then keep it focused on the planes, facilities, flying, landing, TO, acro, formation, camping, distance trip, gadgets, gizmos, and basically anything that doesn't involve some overweight gray haired puss on the camera. If you have to have someone on the camera, please find a good looking, scantily clad woman, that knows at least a modicum about GA.

<insert smiley icon here>
Well the problem here is that Gaston's is as much about the people, friendships, and camaraderie as anything. Yes, there are some cool planes there, but it isn't a plane show. There'll be some acro, but not much (any?) of a show for folks on the ground. It's about the neat people you meet there, mostly fellow pilots or at least aviation enthusiasts.

Okay I see where this is going.

Clearly I am the minority that has an interest in aviation, not old farts talking about flying from the glory days.

<disconnecting>

It's not about the old farts talking about glory day flying. It's about the freindships that are forged and renewed with people from near and far through our common love of airplanes. It's about sharing that joy by the giving and reciveing of rides and talking about the love of flight with other people that get it.

Missa

Kumbaya.

Oops, I thought I disconnected from this thread. So we're not going to have old farts talking about the glory days? I'm more confused. I've been to many, many fly-ins and it sure seems like old-fart-glory-days to me. And I'm an old fart.

Kumbaya.

Oops, I thought I disconnected from this thread. So we're not going to have old farts talking about the glory days? I'm more confused. I've been to many, many fly-ins and it sure seems like old-fart-glory-days to me. And I'm an old fart.

See, it's not about you then. :goofy:

I'm not going to start naming (too many) names, but there are a LOT of folks at Gaston's who are multiple DECADES from being considered "old farts." Jesse. Tristan. Kate. Tony. DIANA!

I'm not going to start naming (too many) names, but there are a LOT of folks at Gaston's who are multiple DECADES from being considered "old farts." Jesse. Tristan. Kate. Tony. DIANA!

Think you can get Tristan, Kate and Diana to dress scantly for the Documentary to make Doc happy?

Last edited:

Think you can ger Tristan, Kate and Diana to dress scantly for the Documentary For Doc?
I'm pretty sure it's a definite "no" for Diana, though we all know it would be a flattering picture. OTOH, maybe we can get Jesse to model his PoA thong as Tony throws him in the river while wearing his (in)famous T-Shirt!

I'm pretty sure it's a definite "no" for Diana, though we all know it would be a flattering picture. OTOH, maybe we can get Jesse to model his PoA thong as Tony throws him in the river while wearing his (in)famous T-Shirt!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :hairraise:

Hi all,

Looks like I am going to be out at Gastons this year filming a documentary about Gastons and the fly in. Maybe you know or not but I produce the Aviation Video Podcast for Jason Miller and On The Flight Line. http://www.ontheflightline.libsyn.com/

I am writing the script, well as much as you can for a documentary film, and I am looking for ideas on what to add into the script and shot list so I don't miss any good stuff. So I wanted to ask you all if there is anything that you would like to see in the film. Are there any activities or "can't miss shots" that you can think of.

I am also looking for people that would like to be interviewed on film, as well as volunteers for flights and maybe some air to air filming.

This is a low to no budget film so any help would be great. I might need some grips as well if anyone would like to hold a mic or reflector for a bit one day.

The Gasons story is one I have wanted to tell, on film, for some time now. And with your help we can really make a beautiful film.

Thanks in advance.
-Will

Well heck, now we have to arrainge a crash.....

This thread has taken an interesting turn. :eek: :D

Actually capturing Gastons will be quite difficult. Gastons can be whatever you want it to be. Some visit, some fly, some eat, some rest, some swim, some fish, some hike, some watch, some party, some cook, some play cards, some read, some acro, some give rides, some get rides and yes some old farts talk about the glory days. If Will captures all of this, he's da**d good.

Bottom line DOC, if you don't like it don't watch it.

Bottom line Dave, Will posted on this forum for advice. I gave him some. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I never know until the last minute, what's the date this year again?

Officially June 6 , 7 , 8. Some people will be showing up on the 5th (as will i).

I'll do the crashing if someone puts up a plane....

I can probably find an old run-out AgCat in the middle of a bean field around here somewhere. It would be like old times for you. ;) Heck.. I'll even thrown a little malathion in the hopper so you get the full odorous effect.

I can probably find an old run-out AgCat in the middle of a bean field around here somewhere. It would be like old times for you. ;) Heck.. I'll even thrown a little malathion in the hopper so you get the full odorous effect.

Hmmmm.... Could make an interesting video, even do a "How to crash" video. Not many planes I can think of I'd rather do it in than an AgCat.

Advice is one thing DOC. You gave him your personal opinion. He didn't ask for that.

In fact I did give advice. I told him to cover the aviation related events and keep the face time to a minimum. You were the only one that came back with a snotty comment about my advice. Everyone else disagreed with my post, and also expressed an OPINION. Including you!

You might also want to learn a bit of idomatic English as well. Here's the dictionary entries for the word 'advice':

advice
noun
  1. An opinion as to a decision or course of action: counsel, recommendation. See opinion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] ad�vice [/SIZE][/FONT] � (
abreve.gif
d-v
imacr.gif
s
prime.gif
) [SIZE=-2] KEY [/SIZE]�

[SIZE=-1] NOUN: [/SIZE]
  1. Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.
I'm done here. Film what you want.

Last edited:

I am a middle-aged fart, and there are a number of young farts as well.

In point of fact, at Gaston's, you find many farts of all ages and compositions.

In point of fact, at Gaston's, you find many farts of all ages and compositions.

LOL, Spike.

Now that's funny right there:yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2
Advice is one thing DOC. You gave him your personal opinion. He didn't ask for that.

In fact I did give advice. I told him to cover the aviation related events and keep the face time to a minimum. You were the only one that came back with a snotty comment about my advice. Everyone else disagreed with my post, and also expressed an OPINION. Including you!

You might also want to learn a bit of idomatic English as well. Here's the dictionary entries for the word 'advice':

advice
noun
  1. An opinion as to a decision or course of action: counsel, recommendation. See opinion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ad�vice [/SIZE][/FONT]� (
abreve.gif
d-v
imacr.gif
s
prime.gif
) [SIZE=-2]KEY [/SIZE]�

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]
  1. Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.
I'm done here. Film what you want.

Out of curiosity, why did you quote me in the above?

Gosh, I'm sorry to see this thread take such a negative turn.

It really is a shame Diana. A person wishes to do a documentary of our little weekend and all we offer up is ridicule and arguments. Maybe the first chapter of the documentary should be "Gaston's, where asking a simple question results in getting your ass handed to you". Sad, really sad.:mad::mad:

Will, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2

Out of curiosity, why did you quote me in the above?

Hmm, I don't know? It wasn't supposed to do that. Perhaps I clicked on your post by accident, and didn't notice, sorry. Fixed it.

Make it stop! Make it stop! I can sing better than that! :D

Speaking of guitars...is anyone bringing an instrument to Gaston's? Scott...Eamon...anyone? I keep offering to play the spoons, but no one seems interested. :dunno:

Hi all,

I am sorry this has started some controversy or stress. I wish nothing more then to have everybody getting along and having a good time. With that I want to kinda spell out what I am planing for this film. And maybe speak to some of Doc's concerns.

First I do want to thank Doc for his input. I did ask for input so I will take it. I would also like let Doc know, and everybody ells, what kind of production company we are. First, we are all pilots. We all have a passion for aviation and film making. We are a low budget film company trying show the rest of the world why we fly. We are not NBC news or the Discovery channel. We are aviators trying to make films about aviation.

Gason's, to me, seems to be one of the more magical fly ins I have heard of. And I would love to share that we anyone that will watch. I want this film to be about old and new friends coming together, from all over, because of this message board, Gaston's, and aviation. I hope to capture the beauty of the Gastons resort, and the magic that pulls you all there. The film will be shot in beautiful 1080p HD in a very photographic style. We will be filming interviews but we will ask you all to talk about Gaton's and what it means to you. I will profile the resort it's self as well and show it to be a great flying destination. I want to show the comradery us pilots share when we are all together. I want to film the landing contest and what ever happens. Basically I want to capture everything I can and put together a touching film about us.

The film will be hosted by Jason Miller from The Finer Points podcast. Jason is not old, fat, or graying. That would be me and the reason I am behind the camera. :)

Oh and of corse we will be showing the airplanes too. After all I am an airplane nut like the rest of us.

Does that sound ok to everybody? I am hoping to get everybody's support and or help with this. I will understand if you don't want to be on camera and that is fine, I don't like being on camera either. But I would really like for everybody to have a great time and have fun. If we can all do that, and I know we will, then it will show on film and we can make a beautiful movie together.

Thank you all for the support you have shown in this thread. I can't wait to be there to experience it with you all.

Thanks again and we will see you soon
-Will

It really is a shame Diana. A person wishes to do a documentary of our little weekend and all we offer up is ridicule and arguments. Maybe the first chapter of the documentary should be "Gaston's, where asking a simple question results in getting your ass handed to you". Sad, really sad.:mad::mad:

Will, my apologies.

There is only one person that made this turn for the worse, the problem with this thread isn't any bigger than that.

Will,

Thank you so much for doing this. As the filmmaker, make whatever film you'd like to make. As the person funding it and doing the work, that is your prerogative. What anybody else says thinks is only their opinion, and you can't please everybody. You're the one with your name on it. Put out the film that you want to put out and it will tell the story in your way. What anybody else thinks is irrelevant. Kudos to you for putting all of this together.

There is only one person that made this turn for the worse, the problem with this thread isn't any bigger than that.

Will,

Thank you so much for doing this. As the filmmaker, make whatever film you'd like to make. As the person funding it and doing the work, that is your prerogative. What anybody else says thinks is only their opinion, and you can't please everybody. You're the one with your name on it. Put out the film that you want to put out and it will tell the story in your way. What anybody else thinks is irrelevant. Kudos to you for putting all of this together.

Thanks Jason,

What I really have in my head about this film and the way I plan of shooting it is so you all can tell the story. In documentary film making the producers and directors may have a good idea about what the story should be. But it can change, and usually does.

I have a good idea now of what the final will look like, but really when it comes down to shooting the event or story one needs to let it tell it's self. I have things I have planned on capturing for sure. But the rest is really watching the story unfold in front of the camera, and hoping I am able to capture it. So really you all are going to be helping in the creation and the final script, if you will. It should be a good one. I can't wait.

Thanks again.
-Will

Will, Don't let my discouragement of other poor productions by other film makers get in your way. I encourage you to capture what you want in your production. My rant, first was prefaced by letting folks opt out, and I did that with good reason because it was going to be critical. Anyone making a film that hasn't faced critics(after the fact) is a new one to me. Additionally, I put a note at the end to try and lighten the mood, cause it was kind of gloomy. I tried to disconnect from this thread, two posts after my first. That didn't happen.

I'm occasionally a crotchety old guy(I think that's what you meant Missa, not a 'crotchy' guy, which a whole different thing ;)). However, anyone can go back in my post history, and see that I'm not particularly negative, or harsh. I will defend a position that I think has merit, but usually unless called out, I'll let stuff lie.

Lastly, focusing on the job at hand, I have an example that just popped up on the red board. Serendipity? Maybe. Have a look and see what you think. This sample was an award winning short film, about one of the most well known faces in the world. Please note that in the film, there is no time when there isn't a plane, helicopter, or flying sequence for the entire film. Yes, there's a few face shots, and a voice over which is fine. But the focus of the film is aviation, and one person's journey in aviation.

http://www.asterpix.com/console/?avi=8525571

I wish Gaston's would allow plane camping, I would sincerely like to attend, but plane camping is my interest. Everyone please have a good time, enjoy, and fly safe, and my apologies as well for the negative turn, and my part in the conflagration.

<really, and truly disconnecting> :cheerswine:

Shucks, Doc, it's all stuff.

Sure wish we could find a way to get Mr. Ford to show up at 3M0. Now that'd be something, wouldn't it?

Back