Fancy Car or Cheap Plane?

MultiMediaWill

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Will
I have $100,000 to buy either a Nissan GTR or a cheap plane. I am a PPL. What would you recommend?

EDIT: I'm 20 btw

Last edited:
As a fellow young person who made the same decision and went with the plane - if I could do it all over again I would buy the car. You will get way more girls - assuming that's what you're after. Mine turned into a maintenance boondoggle and soon we had $150k into a $100k airplane. If you buy a new GTR you don't need to worry about that.

What's more important for you? Driving or flying?

Plane and/or additional ratings. I would look into a good club or shared ownership so maintenance costs don't hold you down.

And, this depends on a number of other factors.

You're asking a guy who drives a 2002 Ford Focus with 105K miles, no A/C, and bald tires?

Depends what you want to do with the vehicle. $100,000k buys a plane that will get you places 3 times as fast as the Nissan. The cost of maintenance, and amount of down time will be about the same if you try to match performances as closely as possible, and if you are operating on the street with the car, you will have legal costs as well to contend with. If you are planning to put the car on the track to go racing, the comparative would be a competitive aerobatic airplane. You can get a good Pitts S1x and campaign it for a couple of years just for the price of acquisition of the Nissan, then you have about $40k to spend to make it competitive and another $100k annual campaigning costs if you want to compete in one of the mid-upper classes. If you want to campaign in a Stock class, you're looking at about $25k annual campaigning costs.

The question is, what would you enjoy more? :dunno:

I have $100,000 to buy either a Nissan GTR or a cheap plane. I am a PPL. What would you recommend?

I vote hands down for a cheap ($10k) car AND buy a plane with 'most' (about $80k) of the leftover. Keep a little emergency fund (around $10k) for both. You can adjust the numbers a little to suit yourself, but everybody has a car.

As a fellow young person who made the same decision and went with the plane - if I could do it all over again I would buy the car. You will get way more girls - assuming that's what you're after. Mine turned into a maintenance boondoggle and soon we had $150k into a $100k airplane. If you buy a new GTR you don't need to worry about that.
I have seen people buy junk and pay through the nose to make it airworthy but 150K that's got to be record. Just what could have cost that much not to see it when you bought it.

Last edited:
I'd buy a new Corvette and with the left over get an RV-4 or a Glasair I.

Cheap car, low-end aircraft, and save the rest for the total cost of aircraft ownership.

At age 20 insurance on a hot car will eat you up. At 27 I still pay more for car insurance on my now 9 year old car than I do for the plane and at 19 when I bought the plane and the new car, let's just say yikes!

Just something to consider.

My grandfather used to say we buy our problems.

Since I already have a cheap car and a cheap plane, I'd just keep the $100K and spend it on blow, hookers, aviation lawyers, and Dr. Bruce consultations.

Too bad your not in the DFW area, one of my renters has a GTR and we have 2 and 4 seats planes to check out.

Buy the plane, cheap car, rent the girl.

I have a low 10 second C6 & Cherokee 235.

GTRs are fast but ugly.

GTRs are fast, but I bet I have more fun driving my Saturn. I put it on track and if I wad it up I wad it up so I drive it HARD. I've noticed that the more expensive the car the less of its potential is used by the average driver and many people are slower in super cars as a result.

So buy a cool super car to get laid, buy a cheaper (but still fast) used car if you actually want to drive fast.

I'd do a GXP or Redline GM kappa chassis if I were to do it again. (Or just go ape and buy a 10+ year old viper)

I know a lot of people who focus/ed on getting laid, many work at retail stores janitors and whatnot after they knocked up a dud of a women...

Others are divored getting soaked on child support

You're asking a guy who drives a 2002 Ford Focus with 105K miles, no A/C, and bald tires?

Try a set of Kelly Charger GTs. The price is reasonable and they're pretty good.

- Matt, who drives a 2002 Focus, 124k miles, everything works and the tires are about half tread.

I have seen people buy junk and pay through the nose to make it airworthy but 150K that's got to be record. Just what could have cost that much not to see it when you bought it.

FWIW I think David defaulted to the most expensive way to fix anything. :lol:

Part of his "all out" personality.

I know a lot of people who focus/ed on getting laid, many work at retail stores janitors and whatnot after they knocked up a dud of a women...

Others are divored getting soaked on child support

How is this even relevant to the thread?

I have a low 10 second C6 & Cherokee 235.

GTRs are fast but ugly.

Honestly Mr. Hernandez, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

You're 20. Don't blow your money on cars or airplanes. Put it away towards retirement. You'll be way ahead of the game.

That is coming from a guy that had a GTO and now has a G8.:D

GTRs are fast, but I bet I have more fun driving my Saturn. I put it on track and if I wad it up I wad it up so I drive it HARD. I've noticed that the more expensive the car the less of its potential is used by the average driver and many people are slower in super cars as a result.

So buy a cool super car to get laid, buy a cheaper (but still fast) used car if you actually want to drive fast.

I'd do a GXP or Redline GM kappa chassis if I were to do it again. (Or just go ape and buy a 10+ year old viper)

There are exceptions to that, a couple years ago a kid wadded up daddy's Enzo at Moroso speedway.:eek: Million dollars down the drain..:rofl:

If you really want to drive hard and fast, buy a real race car. For $100k you can buy someone's IMSA Trans Am car, spares, and trailer ready to hook up and go campaign.

Honestly Mr. Hernandez, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

Huh? Sorry I guess I don't speak 20 year old talk any more. I guess when you reach the ripe age of 26 like I have, one tends to make sense.

Are you saying GTRs aren't ugly? Cause the whole racing scene agrees with me, aside from gtr owners.

You appear to want a social status type object, clearly a plane won't be as visible as a FANCY 90K GTR on the streets.

Why settle for a top of the line gtr? Since your so cool "bro"..... Grab the Gallardo, put that in your lock box for your kids.

EDIT: I'm 20 btw

GTR: Rent the GTR for a weekend and get it out of your system.

Plane: Depends on what you're planning to do with it.

So why GTR? Sure it's a good car if all you want is to be able to set fast lap times. Recommend you look into a 911 or an Aston. Better yet, you can get a 3-4 year old DBS for the same money. At the end of the day do you want to have a Nissan with a V6 or an Aston with a V12?

GTR: Rent the GTR for a weekend and get it out of your system.

Plane: Depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Rescinding this advice.

Rent both. You obviously don't know WTF you want to do in life yet. ;)

LOL.

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: Ive been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have
taste. But Im not on anybodys "A" list, and Saturday night is the
loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes
yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this
morning, which tells me only one thing. Theres too many
self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!
Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener,
sir... Youd be a connoisseur.

Don't be a wiener, buy something with style that will hold it's value. And if racing is the goal, buy one that someone already dialed in and save a lot of money. If you go cheaper on the plane you can likely get a hell of a nice car as well.

I never needed a car to get snatch though, so you may want to get the GTR.

If you get the car you won't be driving around peacefully bellow the speed limits. So it makes no difference.

Sure it does, the car will get tickets daily and impound fees... The FAA will give him a slap on the wrist.

Thing is, of you're after either to pick up girls, you're barking up the wrong tree. You want to impress a girl, buy a house.

There are exceptions to that, a couple years ago a kid wadded up daddy's Enzo at Moroso speedway.:eek: Million dollars down the drain..:rofl:

If you really want to drive hard and fast, buy a real race car. For $100k you can buy someone's IMSA Trans Am car, spares, and trailer ready to hook up and go campaign.

Yep, my first track day a guy wadded up a F360, shame was I was faster than he in my v6 station wagon:D

Back