Fancy Car or Cheap Plane?

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: Ive been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have
taste. But Im not on anybodys "A" list, and Saturday night is the
loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes
yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this
morning, which tells me only one thing. Theres too many
self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!
Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener,
sir... Youd be a connoisseur.

Don't be a wiener, buy something with style that will hold it's value. And if racing is the goal, buy one that someone already dialed in and save a lot of money. If you go cheaper on the plane you can likely get a hell of a nice car as well.

I never needed a car to get snatch though, so you may want to get the GTR.

I'm not sure where everyone in this thread thought I was buying the car to pick up girls. In fact, I never even mentioned anything of the sort.

Not quite sure what you mean there.

You what mate?

Meaning I don't know what you mean.

U+WOT+M8+description+.+http+www.facebook.com+martin.w.keating_079b02_4051759.jpg

You what mate?

Meaning I don't know what you mean.

You pointed out that an inverted low pass will probably be illegal or at least frowned upon. Well...if you guy a GTR you won't be driving it very legally either.

Then skip the bling bling car and buy a used EVO

Then use a small portion of what's left to learn to drive 10 10ths and go forth fast

Last edited:
I'm not sure where everyone in this thread thought I was buying the car to pick up girls. In fact, I never even mentioned anything of the sort.

Well, you also never answered what you wanted it for either, it makes a difference, so why not state the intent for the vehicle.

I suspect the 100K isn't earned. When someone goes through the effort to earn and save 100K, they usually know why they're doing it.

The whole story then smells a little like BS.

Most folks that earn 100K the hard way are trying to figure out where to put it to work and not be liquid.

That said, maybe he earned $1M the hard way and 100K is just ****ing money. Ya never know. ;)

Just sayin'... Something smells fishy.

There's always getting it the old fashioned way, inherit it or win a law suit.

I suspect the 100K isn't earned. When someone goes through the effort to earn and save 100K, they usually know why they're doing it.

The whole story then smells a little like BS.

Most folks that earn 100K the hard way are trying to figure out where to put it to work and not be liquid.

That said, maybe he earned $1M the hard way and 100K is just ****ing money. Ya never know. ;)

Just sayin'... Something smells fishy.

I acquired slightly over $1,000,000. 90% is invested already. You mad bro?

Well, you also never answered what you wanted it for either, it makes a difference, so why not state the intent for the vehicle.

Well I think the title of the thread tells us what he's after.

Fancy car or cheap plane. Which is kinda funny that he considers a GTR a fancy car because its just your average run of the mill street car when you start talking about exotic or expensive cars.

If you want to see fancy cars, try a weekend in Hollywood, you wont see anything less then Lambo's/Ferrari's & Porches. If your in the DFW area, try going to Dallas Performance, where a twin turbo system for the Gallardo costs 95K alone. Thats two turbos......

Ahhh, being 20 had its moments. :lol::lol:

You're asking a guy who drives a 2002 Ford Focus with 105K miles, no A/C, and bald tires?

I am in this boat. I just paid a few hundred to fix some transmission problems on my 2004 Ford Ranger with 149K miles in hopes of it lasting just long enough for me to finish up my PPL training. I just need something to get me to work and the airport and back. :D

If you want my opinion, I would say that you have a great problem to have. One that shouldn't be decided by what some people on a forum say.

There's always getting it the old fashioned way, inherit it or win a law suit.

Nope. There's a little something called bitcoin. I bought 1000 BTC back in 2010 for around $.01 per coin. I sold all my BTC when the price hit around $1070 per bitcoin a few weeks ago.

Fast, fun and under $50K, get a used Shelby GT500 convertible!:D Sporty, fun to drive yet reliable and you can get them fixed just about anywhere.:D
The other $50K buy a decent 172/Archer and have fun.:D

Well I think the title of the thread tells us what he's after.

Fancy car or cheap plane. Which is kinda funny that he considers a GTR a fancy car because its just your average run of the mill street car when you start talking about exotic or expensive cars.

If you want to see fancy cars, try a weekend in Hollywood, you wont see anything less then Lambo's/Ferrari's & Porches. If your in the DFW area, try going to Dallas Performance, where a twin turbo system for the Gallardo costs 95K alone. Thats two turbos......

Ahhh, being 20 had its moments. :lol::lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hollywood doesn't hold a candle to SoFlorida for fancy cars. I see everything imaginable at the marina on a daily basis. The Nissan is no better or worse than dozens of other factory performance cars. I wouldn't buy any of them new when I can go to The Adult Toy Store down the street and buy any of the best at a year old with hardly any miles on them already loaded with the performance equipment for half of what a new one would cost. This area is saturated with that kind of stuff, cars are the cheap toys down here.

Personally if I wanted a driver in that price range, I'd get an Aston Martin, but if he likes the Nissan, that's his prerogative. The Nissan is more likely to get him tickets from cops while a DB7 is more likely to get him respect from them. The DB7 is also a much nicer driving car and a convertible to boot.

Nope. There's a little something called bitcoin. I bought 1000 BTC back in 2010 for around $.01 per coin. I sold all my BTC when the price hit around $1070 per bitcoin a few weeks ago.

Good on ya. So, the question still stands, what do you want the machine to do for you? $100k will buy you my 310 and nice car.

Cars are for chumps. If I had FU money I'd structure my life so as to rarely drive. BTW any bike outclasses any car as far as the ladies are concerned. Buy a 100K on a car and David will swoop your girls with his old guy sport bike. Sounds like you don't need to drive anywhere buy a motorcycle and a fun plane and live next to it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hollywood doesn't hold a candle to SoFlorida for fancy cars. I see everything imaginable at the marina on a daily basis. The Nissan is no better or worse than dozens of other factory performance cars. I wouldn't buy any of them new when I can go to The Adult Toy Store down the street and buy any of the best at a year old with hardly any miles on them already loaded with the performance equipment for half of what a new one would cost. This area is saturated with that kind of stuff, cars are the cheap toys down here.

Personally if I wanted a driver in that price range, I'd get an Aston Martin, but if he likes the Nissan, that's his prerogative. The Nissan is more likely to get him tickets from cops while a DB7 is more likely to get him respect from them. The DB7 is also a much nicer driving car and a convertible to boot.

Ain't that the truth. Never seen more fancy cars or massive yachts. Every direction I look there's a Bentley or better. There's a spot up near Boynton, I believe, where I saw the biggest yacht I've ever seen. And of coursed it was parked at the private dock across from the mansion.

That's awesome!
What sort of Flying do you want to do?

Ain't that the truth. Never seen more fancy cars or massive yachts. Every direction I look there's a Bentley or better. There's a spot up near Boynton, I believe, where I saw the biggest yacht I've ever seen. And of coursed it was parked at the private dock across from the mansion.

That was likely Gallant Lady, Moran's boat, she's a medium sized yacht, the big ones don't fit in there.

Yea but the Iron Man Mansion is in Hollywood :wink2: that counts for something :lol:

I acquired slightly over $1,000,000. 90% is invested already. You mad bro?

Nope. Not at all. The words were carefully chosen if you read them literally. Folks who gain the easy way don't have any idea what they plan to do with it.

Therefore the advice stands. Rent both. ;)

(I also received an inheritance this year. It has no bearing on what I said. Read it again carefully with no assumed emotional content. :) Mad? I guess some people are that way. I only get mad at those who acquire by being leeches on society... Politicians. ;) )

That was likely Gallant Lady, Moran's boat, she's a medium sized yacht, the big ones don't fit in there.

:yikes:

This one was parked (moored? not much of a boat guy) on the intracoastal side. Driving north along the street, on the left (intracoastal side) are the private docks, and on the right (beach side, across the street) are the mansions.

So where are the biggest yachts kept? I've seen some huge ones behind the houses along Las Olas, too. But I'm guessing the biggest ones don't fit in there either?

At twenty if you have not finished college, or even begun, then i would buy a two year old honda civic , go to college. After graduating with a good degree, and having a decent job, I would buy a 3-4 year old 911 Carrera, and probably a nice 201 mooney. Is there more money coming? Or is this it? If it's all you got, 100 grand will go quickly. I had a pal who's son , after his father died, went thru 2 and a half million quite quickly, in spite of a college degree, now broke . Among other things he bought were a new 911, a 12000 dollar Rolex and lots of short term friends. Easy come, easy go!

At twenty if you have not finished college, or even begun, then i would buy a two year old honda civic , go to college. After graduating with a good degree, and having a decent job, I would buy a 3-4 year old 911 Carrera, and probably a nice 201 mooney. Is there more money coming? Or is this it? If it's all you got, 100 grand will go quickly. I had a pal who's son , after his father died, went thru 2 and a half million quite quickly, in spite of a college degree, now broke . Among other things he bought were a new 911, a 12000 dollar Rolex and lots of short term friends. Easy come, easy go!

Stop picking on the Congressman. Sheesh Jimmy! It was only campaign donations. ;)

Did it occur to you to read the thread?

Have you driven a GTR yet?

While they are wickedly fast, in my opinion they are not much fun to drive. There are too many electronic controls, which takes away from driver involvement. It's almost as if you're driving a video game as opposed to using true car control skills.

You might get around the track faster than a Porsche 911, but the Porsche will generate a huge smile.
Even the lower-powered Cayman S is so much more fun to drive than the Nissan.

A few years ago I had a pile of cash in the bank, and came really close to buying a new Aston Martin.
Then I remembered I have a brain, and purchased more real estate instead- Real estate that generates income every month. I enjoy looking at Astons on ebay, as they are going for half-price now. Glad I didn't throw that much money at a car.

Have you driven a GTR yet?

While they are wickedly fast, in my opinion they are not much fun to drive. There are too many electronic controls, which takes away from driver involvement. It's almost as if you're driving a video game as opposed to using true car control skills.

You might get around the track faster than a Porsche 911, but the Porsche will generate a huge smile.
Even the lower-powered Cayman S is so much more fun to drive than the Nissan.

A few years ago I had a pile of cash in the bank, and came really close to buying a new Aston Martin.
Then I remembered I have a brain, and purchased more real estate instead- Real estate that generates income every month. I enjoy looking at Astons on ebay, as they are going for half-price now. Glad I didn't throw that much money at a car.

Uwotm8

Did you even read the thread?

Cool story brother

Bit coins

Lol those are the cliff notes. Enjoy ;)

I read the whole thread. The question originally asked is totally immature which is why college might be the next step. 900 grand invested right now , if that's the amount, will barely keep the car and airplane going provided there is a nice home already in the cards, which will demand mortgage payments, up keep, repairs, lots of taxes as property taxes are out of sight now due to manufacturers having left the country. Stock market returns are not real great, savings account brings in nothing, etc. I'm only going by what has been offered. Complete picture unknown. Need Paul Harvey to ask for.....the rest of the story!

:yikes:

This one was parked (moored? not much of a boat guy) on the intracoastal side. Driving north along the street, on the left (intracoastal side) are the private docks, and on the right (beach side, across the street) are the mansions.

So where are the biggest yachts kept? I've seen some huge ones behind the houses along Las Olas, too. But I'm guessing the biggest ones don't fit in there either?

Yeah, that would be Gallant Lady, if you ever bought a Toyota product, you helped buy his fleet.

The big ones aren't 'kept' anywhere, when they come into port, they have to use the commercial piers due to their draft (depth of the hull/props under the water). You'll see them at the cruise ship berths in Ft Lauderdale. All the stuff you see in the ICW and inland waterways is going to be small to medium stuff up to about 260' near the Port Everglades entrance.

While you deride others, you still haven't answered the only question that is pertinent, what do you want this machine to do for you?

While you deride others, you still haven't answered the only question that is pertinent, what do you want this machine to do for you?

I don't even know what that means... The use is irrelevant and each option would have different uses.

Also, not quite sure why everyone says to go to college. I'm already AT college.

If you don't even know why you want the car then you don't need it.

You have a lot to learn. Enjoy college.

If you want to be somebody different buy the plane. If you want to be just like everyone else, get the car. Not everyone can fly a plane and it sets you apart as an achiever.

I don't even know what that means... The use is irrelevant and each option would have different uses.

Also, not quite sure why everyone says to go to college. I'm already AT college.

Well then take your pick of what you want to do, fly a nice plane or drive a nice car. We can't help you with that decision, that's a personal choice. The only potential thing we could give you advice on is which would suit a certain use better. Since you're on an aviation board I'd suspect on a pure enjoyment basis, most people would say buy the plane, but that's a personal call only each individual can make for themselves.

As for already being in college and not knowing what deride means, hell, entrance standards at your college must be awfully low.

Back