FAA Issues General Aviation Medical Rule

Pucker factor in the event of an emergency. Seems legit

Now if we could just use that vacuum as backup power to the gyros...

As someone who has flown 8 times as PIC to the Bahamas, they could absolutely care less about you having a current medical certificate. The ONLY things the Bahamas care about when you arrive are:

1) Current passport
2) Plenty of money

I can't speak for Canada or Mexico

The point is not what they typically ask for, but what the law requires. By your logic, you can fly forever domestically without any medical.

I've been waiting on the sidelines for this, time to ping Bruce. I'm sure his phone/email is ringing off the hook now

:crazy:

I've been waiting on the sidelines for this, time to ping Bruce. I'm sure his phone/email is ringing off the hook now

:crazy:
In all the previous threads on this, Bruce's attitude was that no doctor in his right mind would sign off on it. I guess my doctor is out of his mind :)

In all the previous threads on this, Bruce's attitude was that no doctor in his right mind would sign off on it. I guess my doctor is out of his mind :)

I have a condition that will require a one time SI before I can enjoy the new BasicMed regulation, and he is the right person to get me through it.

I have yet to talk to any doctor that I know, and I live in a country club golf neighborhood so there is no shortage of them there, that would not sign this. They tell me they sign these types of documents on a regular basis. The DOT requires truck drivers to get physicals and many truck stops have doc in the box locations where they are in and out in minutes, kind of like a CVS Minute Clinic for truckers. There is a market for these types of docs and there is no shortage of docs willing to put ink on paper for a few bucks. While I respect Doc Bruce and even used him for consultation, his opinion on this matter does not match the feeling I get from my own doc and the ones I play golf with.

Heck, there were no shortage of docs out west willing to write to prescriptions for weed. I am sure many doctors are against that as well, and yet, every corner had a dispensary where a doc would say, "What is your symptom? I get depressed when I run out of weed? Here is your prescription :)"

Speaking of CVS Minute clinic. I was at one 2 weeks ago getting some folks a pre-deployment physical and asked them. She showed me their latest newsletter and it made pretty clear they would be doing them too...

Many of the people saying no doc would sign it are the same people saying it would never pass.

It amazes me that the same person who would not be allowed to fly (possibly because of something wrong with his/her anus) might not be allowed to fly a small plane, but could legally rent a uhaul truck, load it to the gills, and drive it at 70 mph, with closure rates of twice that with opposing traffic, with only a few feet and a yellow line between him/her and his/her potential victims.

I'm not sure I agree this should be 100% legal...:eyeroll:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you intend to fly to Canada (or Mexico, Bahamas, etc.) even once, this entire new rule is completely useless to you. Am I missing something?

Not that I'm aware of, but that is not a downside. This new rule hurts nobody but benefits many.

Bull$#!+. Getting my butt checked may be important to my life span or it may not; that's MY call or my doctor's call. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my ability to keep the pointy end forward and the oily side down.

Jim

Despite the profanity and the bold face, we agree. Reread my comment.

OK, the comprehensive physical calls for inspection of the anus. My third class did not. Now I have to think which way I want to go?

maybe the final rule will allow for self exam, similar to the breast exam

Lol! Anus exam. Hopefully that doesn't include a finger. :eek:

That comprehensive physical looks more in depth than my class II. What a waste.

Are the doc in a box places run by "State-Licensed Physicians" or are they PAs? In my little town we only have one SLP (my primary care) the other practice in town while I am sure overseen by an SLP in theory only ever has a PA in the office. If you want to see the SLP you have to go about 45 minutes to another office.

"Huh?" Department.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but from the FAQ in the new AC 68-1:

Q: Can I use BasicMed to act as a safety pilot, rather than holding a medical?
A: Only if you’re acting as PIC while performing the duties of safety pilot. BasicMed applies only to people acting as PIC; it cannot be exercised by safety pilots who are not acting as PIC but are required crewmembers.
Another one. I have not read through the whole new material but I have been trting to figure out if a third class medical certificate qualifies as a "comprehensive medical exam" within the past 48 months or whether a pilot over 40 whose current medical expires for 3rd class privileges May 31 must get the exam right away.

Lol! Anus exam. Hopefully that doesn't include a finger. :eek:

That comprehensive physical looks more in depth than my class II. What a waste.

I would say that it is similar to my annual physical. I imagine he will just do the normal physical and then just quickly check down the boxes.

I wanna know what my tattoos may reveal about my ability to pilot an aircraft....

Identify you if your tat's survive the crash?

That is correct - it's just another identifier in case you crash.

My PCP, nor my AME have ever asked me about tattoos.

And the reason I know my (and your) answer above is true, is because when my AME was making a rather detailed note on my very simple tattoo during my last medical, I asked him why he was doing so. His answer was "Well, it's grisly and morbid, but it's in case you need to be IDed after an accident."

Last edited:
"Huh?" Department.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but from the FAQ in the new AC 68-1:

Q: Can I use BasicMed to act as a safety pilot, rather than holding a medical?
A: Only if you’re acting as PIC while performing the duties of safety pilot. BasicMed applies only to people acting as PIC; it cannot be exercised by safety pilots who are not acting as PIC but are required crewmembers.
Another one. I have not read through the whole new material but I have been trting to figure out if a third class medical certificate qualifies as a "comprehensive medical exam" within the past 48 months or whether a pilot over 40 whose current medical expires for 3rd class privileges May 31 must get the exam right away.

The way Congress wrote the law, for better or worse, they specified that the relief was for those acting as pilot in command. For the FAA to interpret otherwise would require the regulation go through the normal rulemaking process and delay the process, so the FAA did what Congress said. Too bad Congress didn't seek technical assistance from FAA for this when they were drafting the reauthorization bill.

Same issue with the 3rd class medical not qualifying as a "comprehensive medical exam" because the law didn't specify that it was.

Not that I'm aware of, but that is not a downside. This new rule hurts nobody but benefits many.

Not a downside, just a non-obvious weakness that might be render it useless for many pilots.

has anyone seen the form that my doctor must sign and were would i find a copy of said form ? i must say it looks like i was wrong on this whole topic. also anyone think that now that trump is going to be pres and though of as aviation friendly might have something to do with the swift passage ?

also anyone think that now that trump is going to be pres and though of as aviation friendly might have something to do with the swift passage ?

Nope. And he isn't sworn in yet anyway.

The way Congress wrote the law, for better or worse, they specified that the relief was for those acting as pilot in command. For the FAA to interpret otherwise would require the regulation go through the normal rulemaking process and delay the process, so the FAA did what Congress said. Too bad Congress didn't seek technical assistance from FAA for this when they were drafting the reauthorization bill.

Same issue with the 3rd class medical not qualifying as a "comprehensive medical exam" because the law didn't specify that it was.
Same response as elsewhere. I agree. It's just weird.

has anyone seen the form that my doctor must sign and were would i find a copy of said form ? i must say it looks like i was wrong on this whole topic. also anyone think that now that trump is going to be pres and though of as aviation friendly might have something to do with the swift passage ?
The new AC 68-1 has a draft sample of the form.

Everything in the reg is in the statute which was signed into law in August.

Last time I was at my primary visit, I asked my doc if he would sign off on something like this, he said no problem. I didn't know back then how detailed the exam was so didn't mention that, but I get a comprehensive every year anyway and it looks like he would just have to exam few more places.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder what this does with regard to medical limitations. For example, currently both my driver's license and 3rd class medical say I have to wear corrective lenses. If I were to have LASIK and have that requirement removed from my driver's license, could I then fly without lenses? Or would I also have to get a new 3rd class that didn't have that requirement?

AC 68-1 says "Any restrictions on a driver’s license (e.g., corrective lenses, prosthetic aids required, daylight driving only, etc.) also apply under BasicMed." But unless I missed it, it doesn't really address if the restictions that are on the FAA medical certificate still apply. I personally don't think so, but it's not totally clear.

I wonder what this does with regard to medical limitations. For example, currently both my driver's license and 3rd class medical say I have to wear corrective lenses. If I were to have LASIK and have that requirement removed from my driver's license, could I then fly without lenses? Or would I also have to get a new 3rd class that didn't have that requirement?

AC 68-1 says "Any restrictions on a driver’s license (e.g., corrective lenses, prosthetic aids required, daylight driving only, etc.) also apply under BasicMed." But unless I missed it, it doesn't really address if the restictions that are on the FAA medical certificate still apply. I personally don't think so, but it's not totally clear.

I was curious about this, as well. I'm not a night flyer (and don't intend to be one), but I wonder if the whole "Not valid for night flying or color signal control" thing is null.

Once your medical expires, my reading of the regs is any restrictions expire with it.

I was curious about this, as well. I'm not a night flyer (and don't intend to be one), but I wonder if the whole "Not valid for night flying or color signal control" thing is null.

Talked with AOPA about this specific issue and they believe it is a self certification issue (i.e. every flight). I agree with that assessment as the color vision testing plates aren't great at showing who can tell the difference between the light gun signals. Or like the example above, laser surgery to correct vision means corrective lenses actually make things worse.

1) This is still a government required medical. One difference is you don't need to go to an AME, but if the GP doesn't sign off on it you're still not flying (unless you doctor-shop.)
2) It does nothing for entry. You still have to meet the current 3rd class restrictions (have you ever...)

1) This is still a government required medical. One difference is you don't need to go to an AME, but if the GP doesn't sign off on it you're still not flying (unless you doctor-shop.)
2) It does nothing for entry. You still have to meet the current 3rd class restrictions (have you ever...)
Exactly. I can see how it would benefit those that were previously able to obtain SIs, but it does absolutely nothing for those who have been battling the OKC bureaucracy without success.

I don't care how AOPA tries to spin it, this isn't a win for GA.

At most, it's "Okay, I'll give you this peanut to shut you up for a while." It'll help a few, but it won't suddenly open the flood gates. And it certainly is still not a "fair" policy when compared to all the other ways you can legally risk your life, and the lives of others.

Personally, I'm keeping my 3rd class. It took me 5 months to get it, my SI, and my SODA, then another 3 years to get healthy enough to get rid of the SI. And I hope to fly bigger, higher, and faster in the future. Luckily, I've got a great AME who is a friend and also an avid aviator. He won't pencil whip anything, but he knows how to get thru all the BS and get the job done. (Actually, it's because of him that my health has vastly improved.)

I just wish the FAA would concentrate on commercial and high altitude/high speed ops, and leave the little guys alone. We're not more dangerous than the 80 yr old driving his massive RV down the highway, while he counts the days until the big one.

wondering what you meant by this?
Before the details were announced from the FAA, there was a lot of talk/speculation that LSA prices would tank based on the expectation that previously LSA limited pilots would suddenly be able to fly bigger aircraft.

The original sport pilot DL medical is what drove prices up to begin with.

not going to work for me,but i hope it helps others. i do not think the $250k fine and jail-time on the doctors form to be signed is a good thing as he will be on his own as his med malpractice insurance will not help.

It means, for example, that if I decided to go get a CPAP just to see if it makes me feel better, I don't have to jump through the horrendous (most likely lifelong) bullpoop that the FAA in their infinite rectal craniosity foist on private pilots without any real warrant.

Last time I was at my primary visit, I asked my doc if he would sign off on something like this, he said no problem. I didn't know back then how detailed the exam was so didn't mention that, but I get a comprehensive every year anyway and it looks like he would just have to exam few more places.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
wait till he sees the form:eek:

Talked with AOPA about this specific issue and they believe it is a self certification issue (i.e. every flight). I agree with that assessment as the color vision testing plates aren't great at showing who can tell the difference between the light gun signals. Or like the example above, laser surgery to correct vision means corrective lenses actually make things worse.
Yeah, I asked AOPA about this too, and they told me much the same thing. Although I wasn't terribly impressed with the rep's suggestion that "it really only applies if you got ramp checked and then you could just say you were wearing contacts..." :rolleyes2:

I'm with you guys, common sense says if I've had my eyes fixed then I no longer need corrective lenses. But we all know how the government can lack common sense!

not going to work for me,but i hope it helps others. i do not think the $250k fine and jail-time on the doctors form to be signed is a good thing as he will be on his own as his med malpractice insurance will not help.
Yep.

I just found some video of the revised exam, as tested in the secret FAA Aeomedical Branch laboratory in OKC:

Back