FAA Issues General Aviation Medical Rule

I am way to lazy right now to read all this. Can I just keep doing it like I am now? Get a Class 3 from an AME every 2 years?

Sure can. I'll have to maintain a class II for at least another 20 yrs so it's of no use to me either. Just have to roll the dice and hope nothing pops up on my annual AME visits. ;)

Seems to be a lot of grumping from folks with pretty standard 3rd class medicals. The only way to make things much easier for those folks would be to eliminate the 3rd class entirely, which we all knew wasn't going to happen. For many, many people with SIs or even conditions that don't require an SI but require monitoring and additional information for issuance, this is a vast improvement. And for everyone, you don't have to worry about tracking all your doctor visits and stupid forms. You can go to the doctor without fear that you're going to have to disclose the visit the the FAA, which may decide that whatever you had requires six months of hoop jumping. Unless it's something serious, you're on your own. For most people, whether you're medically for to fly will just be a decision for you and your doctor.

Hence, why I posted that poll. People with standard 3rd class medicals can keep getting them if they wish as far as I know. Folks with SIs (me included) get a huge break from all of the record keeping, phone calls, expense and waiting on OKC. One of a few reason why I have not been an active pilot for 2+ years, sad to say. But, with this, I will be getting current and will be looking at buying. Van's or Tiger in my future.

Wonder what this will do to rentals and sale prices? I wonder how many people that didnt bother with their medical and dropped flying will find out about this and get back into renting or owning.

Wonder what this will do to rentals and sale prices? I wonder how many people that didnt bother with their medical and dropped flying will find out about this and get back into renting or owning.

Another aspect of that -- how will rental businesses document compliance, and will insurance companies (now or in the future) put any additional limitations on policies beyond the FAA rules.

Lots of insurance forms have to change, I know that.

They all ask for last FAA medical date, and many policies have specific wording that says "FAA Medical" that will have to be re-issued or letters sent stating "we accept the new thingy" to aircraft owners and clubs.

Another aspect of that -- how will rental businesses document compliance, and will insurance companies (now or in the future) put any additional limitations on policies beyond the FAA rules.

They all ask for last FAA medical date, and many policies have specific wording that says "FAA Medical" that will have to be re-issued or letters sent stating "we accept the new thingy" to aircraft owners and clubs.
How do these insurance companies currently handle insuring LSA's flown by Sport Pilots?

How do these insurance companies currently handle insuring LSA's flown by Sport Pilots?

I called AVEMCO about that about a year ago. The answer was as long as you meet the FAA requirements for LSA and/or Sport Pilot, you are covered. I have a Private Cetrificate and a current Class III but was going to drop it so I asked.

Cheers

Here is an answer from the EAA on the insurance issue.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/01-12-2017-eaa-insurance-solutions-aircraft-insurance-and-medical-reform-a-ok?

That video is wrong. He says you have to have seen a physician within the past 4 years. No, you have to have a physician do a physical exam per the FAA checklist and sign off that you meet the standards. For me that means I'll need to get my doctor to do a physical and sign me off AFTER the final approval of the form (the current form is a draft) and AFTER I can take the on-line course, which isn't expected to be finalized for a couple of months. Doing the math, best case, I might get BasicMed compliant in April or May. With my May 30th expiration of my SI and the 30 days prior that I need to submit for SI renewal, I'll probably need to be prepared to jump through the SI hoops one more time.

.. you have to have a physician do a physical exam per the FAA checklist and sign off that you meet the standards. .
I call that a "medical."

For those guys on a SI, will your PCP take the liability of signing you off as safe to fly? Time will tell...

I call that a "medical."

For those guys on a SI, will your PCP take the liability of signing you off as safe to fly? Time will tell...
My PCP says he will sign it, despite my eye condition that I have an SI for.

Ditto. My SI is for a procedure that fixed a problem. I had been sick and passed my medicals without comment. When the problem got fixed I had to get an SI. Talk about a worthless waste of time and resources. My doctors have said they'd sign the form. By the way, read the Physician Declaration form. It does not say you're safe to fly. It says the doctor, following the FAA checklist for a physical exam, did not find anything that would make you unable to operate an airplane. BIG difference.

I will just go to my AME and ask him to do a physical instead of SI crap. Can't fly to Canada or Mexico, but that's fine for now...if I ever want to cross that bridge, will think about it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

By the way, read the Physician Declaration form. It does not say you're safe to fly. It says the doctor, following the FAA checklist for a physical exam, did not find anything that would make you unable to operate an airplane. BIG difference.
But unlike AMEs they have not been specifically trained and certified to make that determination.

I think the FAA could have just waived a lot of the dumber SIs and extended the 3rd class to 4 years, and saved everyone a lot of effort with pretty much the same results.

I never had an AME who did any doctoring. I strongly disagree that they were trained to do anything special other than to handle paperwork. My primary doc has a way better handle on my health than any AME ever did.

I never had an AME who did any doctoring. I strongly disagree that they were trained to do anything special other than to handle paperwork. My primary doc has a way better handle on my health than any AME ever did.
OK, it'll be fun when the thing goes into effect and we start seeing the anecdotes on PoA on refusals.

It'll be fun? You have a very strange idea of fun. I don't wish ill will on anyone whether they use the new change or stick with third class.

Any time I have the opportunity to reduce government interference in my life I'll do so.

That video is wrong. He says you have to have seen a physician within the past 4 years. No, you have to have a physician do a physical exam per the FAA checklist and sign off that you meet the standards. For me that means I'll need to get my doctor to do a physical and sign me off AFTER the final approval of the form (the current form is a draft) and AFTER I can take the on-line course, which isn't expected to be finalized for a couple of months. Doing the math, best case, I might get BasicMed compliant in April or May. With my May 30th expiration of my SI and the 30 days prior that I need to submit for SI renewal, I'll probably need to be prepared to jump through the SI hoops one more time.

My SI is due in February so I will have to do the paperwork this one last time. My class three will then be good until next February when I do my annual physical again anyway so no issue there.

But unlike AMEs they have not been specifically trained and certified to make that determination.

I think the FAA could have just waived a lot of the dumber SIs and extended the 3rd class to 4 years, and saved everyone a lot of effort with pretty much the same results.

Except they would need to remove the if you have ever been denied part. This allows you to resolve most conditions with your doctor and not have to prove to the FAA it has been done.

It'll be fun? You have a very strange idea of fun. I don't wish ill will on anyone whether they use the new change or stick with third class.

Any time I have the opportunity to reduce government interference in my life I'll do so.
It isn't reduced, it just changes its name.

My SI also expired at the end of May, but I have no intention of renewing it. As soon as the FAA releases the final form I plan on scheduling my annual physical and having him do the exam. I don't anticipate having any gap in my flying privileges. I would hate to try to renew the SI and have it be denied for some reason or have the FAA decide they need more tests and I have to comply or it will result in a denial, locking me out of BasicMed.

Does anyone have stats on the number of medical certs with SIs of various types?

Not dealing with an AME and not dealing with the RFS, both agents of a government agency, is a reduction to me. I will need a physical from my chosen doc but I already needed that prior to going to the AME and subsequently to the RFS. One doctor does the work, two government agents finger the file and add nothing. No value. Pushing paper for pushing paper's sake.Silliness.

How is it not reduced? I no longer need to sit through hours worth of eye tests every year that my ophthalmologist says are pointless for my condition. I don't have to wait 6-8 weeks (and possibly longer in the future) for Oklahoma City to get around to reviewing and issuing my medical, and then end up with a new medical that expires in 10 months because they go by application date and not issue date. I don't have to worry about a denial locking me out of all PIC flying unless I manage to get it overturned. Now I can go to my annual physical, paid for by my insurance company, have my doctor perform a few extra tests and fill out the form. Then I'm good to go for four years. The online course seems like a non-issue. I'm thrilled about this new law.

See my earlier posts. Sleep Apnea SI currently to stay in compliance I have to get >6 hours 75% of the nights there are times I sleep only 4-5 hours and I end up laying in bed breathing into a machine for an hour just to be in compliance. I know the machine is good for me when I am sleeping I don't need the nanny state to force it on me when I am not.

Last edited:
Not to mention how many pilots don't seek medical care because they are concerned about losing their medical. Now you can go to the doctor and resolve the issue and so long as it isn't an impact on your ability to fly you are good to go.

Not to mention how many pilots don't seek medical care because they are concerned about losing their medical. Now you can go to the doctor and resolve the issue and so long as it isn't an impact on your ability to fly you are good to go.
This new rule does nothing for the poor bastards that have been denied due to specious reasons.

Keep in mind Congress drafted the law that directed the regulation requirement.
Who wrote the actual words in the bill? Juan Trippe's executives?

I really wanted DL medical but you had to know that just wasn't happening once congress got involved.
Supposedly it almost was, but there was on dip from FL on the committee that opposed it.

I chose an AME close to home and he happened to be a urologist. Not even joking. He checked my prostate and made me cough with his hand on my sack. Was I molested?
Yes.

You are obviously a glass half empty guy. But there are other's who look at it as a glass half full.
No, I'm a glass is too big guy.

BTW, I've reported your post as a personal attack. Enjoy your time off.

BBTW, it is improper to use an apostrophe in a plural.

Well this was a giant waste of time. It is basically the same as a 3rd class medical. I have to have a physical for work but is that considered "comprehensive"? I'll keep doing as I have been doing so there are no "interpretations" of the rules.

If you are healthy and have no issues then it is actually a little more burdensome. But if you have any kind of health issue that puts your medical at risk then this is brilliant. We all know that there are only two kinds of pilots - those who have have significant health issues and those who haven't yet. The big win for us is that you no longer have to fight with the FAA about whether or not you are good to fly. You have to discuss it with your doctor, someone who is much more qualified on your medical condition than a bureaucrat in OKC.

If you are healthy and have no issues then it is actually a little more burdensome. But if you have any kind of health issue that puts your medical at risk then this is brilliant. We all know that there are only two kinds of pilots - those who have have significant health issues and those who haven't yet. The big win for us is that you no longer have to fight with the FAA about whether or not you are good to fly. You have to discuss it with your doctor, someone who is much more qualified on your medical condition than a bureaucrat in OKC.
And if Welby thinks you're not good to go, do you just go down the street to Dr Vinny Goombats and throw him a Franklin for a signoff?

There have been a lot of hay made about this. But the langueage

No, it's reduced. You obviously have not had to go through the pain of an SI.

Getting excited - drooled over airplanes today on Trade-a-Plane and I haven't done that in a long time.

Back