FAA Issues General Aviation Medical Rule

Oh, grow up. Getting your butt checked is an important part of living long enough to exercise your flight privileges. You should have been doing that with your family doc anyway.

Your assuming that I was going the direction of 3rd class to avoid it when there is the option of going the comprehensive route to get it. You grow up. Nanny nanny boo boo

Oh please, is this actually quoted somewhere?? If so, that's too good not to share! lol

"3.Section for the Physician to Complete with Instructions for the Physician
Section 2307(b)(2)(C)(i) of FESSA requires the checklist to include a section for the physician to complete, that instructs the physician to perform a clinical examination of the
following:
•Head, face, neck, and scalp;
•Nose, sinuses, mouth, and throat;
•Ears, general (internal and external canals), and eardrums (perforation);
•Eyes (general), ophthalmoscopic, pupils (equality and reaction), and ocular motility (associated parallel movement, nystagmus);
•Lungs and chest (not including breast examination);
•Heart (precordial activity, rhythm, sounds, and murmurs);
•Vascular system (pulse, amplitude, and character, and arms, legs, and others);
•Abdomen and viscera (including hernia);
•Anus (not including digital examination);
•Skin;
•G–U system (not including pelvic examination);
•Upperand lower extremities (strength and range of motion);
•Spine and other musculoskeletal;
•Identifying body marks, scars, and tattoos (size and location);
•Lymphatics;
•Neurologic (tendon reflexes, equilibrium, senses, cranial nerves, and coordination, etc.);
•Psychiatric (appearance, behavior, mood, communication, and memory);
•General systemic;
•Hearing;
•Vision (distant, near, and intermediate vision, field of vision, color vision, and ocular alignment);
•Blood pressure and pulse; and
•Anything else the physician,in his or her medical judgment, considers necessary."

OK, the comprehensive physical calls for inspection of the anus. My third class did not. Now I have to think which way I want to go?

Once you get that anus exam we know which way you'll go! :rofl:

Oh almost forgot the warning if you feel a hand on each of your shoulders, beware, unless of course you enjoy that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Oh, grow up. Getting your butt checked is an important part of living long enough to exercise your flight privileges. You should have been doing that with your family doc anyway.

I have been, but as shown above, given the choice, some people may elect to stick with third class...

OK, the comprehensive physical calls for inspection of the anus. My third class did not. Now I have to think which way I want to go?

Yes, your third class did (See here). Your AME probably used the allowable medical judgement to let it go.

My SI expires at the end of May, so I'm thrilled that the rules go into effect May 1st. No more SI for me!

77 pages. That has the touch of a gaggle of FAA attorneys, not just one.

"You guys go out and make this as onerous as possible for them to abide by; we really don't want to have to give them what the legislation called for"

I'm still confused the more I read this thing:

• The individual understands that he or she is prohibited under Federal Aviation Administration regulations from acting as pilot in command, or any other capacity as a required flight crew member, if he or she knows or has reason to know of any medical deficiency or medically disqualifying condition that would make the individual unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner; and
• The individual is aware of the regulations pertaining to the prohibition on operations during medical deficiency and has no medically disqualifying conditions in accordance with applicable law.

So...if you have one of the previous disqualifying conditions (which a lot of people have not been going back to get their third class medical because of), you are still not supposed to be flying...? Or, is this up to your physician to make the determination as to whether or not you should be flying. Seems like not a lot has changed, other than having the individual possibly make the determination...? :confused:

Yup, if you know there is something wrong with you it's on you not to fly, as it's always been. I think that's how I read the above.

Hmm..so basically those that have been out 10 years because they couldn't pass a 3rd class medical still will not be able to fly..how does this help? It only helps those who recently could not pass a 3rd class. Older than 10 years your still out because you have to take a 3rd class physical and pass.

Hmm..so basically those that have been out 10 years because they couldn't pass a 3rd class medical still will not be able to fly..how does this help? It only helps those who recently could not pass a 3rd class. Older than 10 years your still out because you have to take a 3rd class physical and pass.

I think the people that really benefit from this law are people like me who are on a Special Issuance and have to jump through hoops and pay for unnecessary tests every year in order to renew it.

What does your anus reveal about your ability to pilot an aircraft?

My medical is due 2/28/17.... if I get the Third Class... will this qualify me for 4 years... just had a comprehensive done last year when we switched providers...

I think the people that really benefit from this law are people like me who are on a Special Issuance and have to jump through hoops and pay for unnecessary tests every year in order to renew it.

It also seems like the conditions for a special issuance are more conservatively defined. From my initial reading, it seems like mental history such as clinical diagnosis and treatment of Depression or ADD/ADHD are no longer a requirement to pursue a special issuance, and can therefore obtain a class 3 certificate.

From the rule:

Section 2307(e)(1)(A) states that a mental health disorder is limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of: • Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts; • Psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual: (i) has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or (ii) may reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, 42 hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; • Bipolar disorder; or • Substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in § 67.307(a)(4) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations. Section 2307(e)(1)(B) states that a neurological disorder is limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following: • Epilepsy. • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause. • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause. Section 2307(e)(1)(C) states that a cardiovascular condition is limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following: • Myocardial infarction. • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment. • Cardiac valve replacement. • Heart replacement. The FAA is implementing the requirements of section 2307(e)(1)(A)-(C) in § 68.9(a)(1)-(3).

Not a DL"medical" = FAIL

Exactly. AOPA can stop patting themselves on the back now.

As was said above, if you are relatively healthy, you might as well just keeping getting a third class.

And if you have issues.....you still have obstacles to flying.

I just don't see how this is a win for anyone.

Exactly. AOPA can stop patting themselves on the back now.

As was said above, if you are relatively healthy, you might as well just keeping getting a third class.

And if you have issues.....you still have obstacles to flying.

I just don't see how this is a win for anyone.
As others have said, it looks like a win for those who are currently flying under an SI where they would otherwise need to prove over and over that they are healthy enough to fly, if their condition is not a barrier at the moment.

It also helps those who are flying on a regular medical who, in the future, develop a condition that would have required an SI. Remember that even with an SI you can't fly when you are experiencing symptoms that would ground you. You need to abide by what the letter says.

Last edited:
If you're healthy, it seems like just renewing your third class every 2 or 5 years is easier.
Probably so, at least under 40. If you're over 40, there's no reason you couldn't have the AME do a 3rd class AND do the comprehensive checklist. That way after two years you can revert to BasicMed. Either way though, I don't encourage folks to look for reasons to see a doctor less; preventive health care is a good thing and this can easily be done in conjunction with a yearly physical as well.

Yes, your third class did (See here). Your AME probably used the allowable medical judgement to let it go.

Or you could have specifically requested it:

"Digital Rectal Examination: This examination is performed only at the applicant's option unless indicated by specific history or physical findings."

Darn, so CFIs still have to get the medical the way I read it (flying for compensation).

The FAA has found that, in conducting flight training, the PIC is not carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire, nor is acting as PIC of an aircraft for compensation or hire.

Seeing as I have an SI for sleep apnea this will simplify my life (I think). I am due to send in my paperwork in February to get my SI renewed it is always a juggling act since I have to visit my Primary Care physician get him to process the paperwork then send it to my AME so he can issue me a my medical before it runs out. This way when I go to my doctor for my annual physical I just will have him fill out the checklist sign and done good for another 4 years. I will probably just have him do it every year while I am there and just push it out another year.

I really wanted DL medical but you had to know that just wasn't happening once congress got involved. This is all feel good crap anyway.

Yes! The FAA doubled my doctor visits and blood work required to get my SI. This will save me $500-700 a year in medical fees.

One glaring discrepency here. 61.113 only applies to the pilot in command. While it allows private pilots and flight instructors who are acting as pilot in command to not have a medical, if they act in another required crew member position (notably safety pilots for simulated instrument flight) you can't use it. Of course, if your safety pilot is otherwise qualified to be PIC, they could be PIC for the operation without a medical.

I guess I need to keep my Class III if I'm flying cocaine back and forth from South America. Geesh.

You have to have a class II to exercise the commercial privileges. So if they pay you...:)

"After meeting the initial requirements to fly under the reforms, pilots will need to visit any state-licensed physician at least once every four years and take the free aeromedical factors online course every two years"

So when does the clock start on the "once every four years" ?

If you med cert expires before May 1, then do you have to visit the state-licensed physician before can fly after May 1st ?

"3.Section for the Physician to Complete with Instructions for the Physician
Section 2307(b)(2)(C)(i) of FESSA requires the checklist to include a section for the physician to complete, that instructs the physician to perform a clinical examination of the
following:

•Anus (not including digital examination);

Never understand that one

So when does the clock start on the "once every four years" ?

If you med cert expires before May 1, then do you have to visit the state-licensed physician before can fly after May 1st ?

Yes. Once you're medical is no longer valid, you have to have had both the MEDICAL CHECKLIST and the COURSE COMPLETION.

There's no grace period for people with recent valid medicals.

Seeing as I have an SI for sleep apnea this will simplify my life (I think).

I wonder how this will work. If one was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was self-grounding, do they still need to go to get an SI?

Just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Had to change doctors as my original AME I guess was peeved at the new legislation and is no longer providing AME services. I don't use my AME as my general practicioner, so was forced to use the only remaining AME in our area.

I guess I need to keep my Class III if I'm flying cocaine back and forth from South America. Geesh.

I think operating a "dead head" leg returning the cash from the U.S. is allowed under the new medical, so you just need to change flight direction:confused::p

Just passed another physical. I can go to sleep for awhile.

Yeah...me too. Plus, kinda quitting flying for the foreseeable future so by the time I can get back to it everyone will have it sorted out. :D:cool:

Good grief. That's enough to scare anyone off of flying.

Speak for yourself. I chose an AME close to home and he happened to be a urologist. Not even joking. He checked my prostate and made me cough with his hand on my sack. Was I molested?

He wasn't very good, he passed me but said that "OKC would probably be contacting me" and it's unlikely that they will give me a medical. I tried to find him to stick my 3rd class in his face but he retired a few months after my exam.

Too bad this medical reform would not apply to me since I never applied for a medical in the first place. Oh well, I guess I might still pursue a sport pilot license and maybe gliders as well. By the way I am trying to go on the AOPA website to check if they revised the medical reform FAQs but the website is either very slow or down at this time, at least for me. It seems there is a lot of web traffic checking out the new medical reform regulations.

Back