F150

I never figured out the guys with the Dodge Diesels that would chip them up and all this other stuff for towing loads. I told them they were nuts, as delivered from the factory the engine was able to break every transmission they put behind it, why add more power/fuel to the situation?

Small penis syndrome?

I bought a new F150 Ecoboost a couple of weeks ago. FX4, four door, loaded to the gills.

I traded in my 2008 Chevy Duramax, I don't need a 3/4 ton any more and wanted the nice ride.

My feelings on the Ford? It runs great....better than the Duramax. But the fuel mileage is horrible. They advertised 22 mpg on the sticker, and I'm getting 11.2mpg. The dealer told me today to let the motor break in to 5 to 10k miles, I told him he was nuts. A gas motor doesn't need a long break in like a diesel.

If it doesn't get better soon, they are going to get their truck back.

Jeebus, how and where are you driving that thing? My supercrew 4x4 gets 19-20 on the highway -- and that's real mileage, 70-75 MPH with the cruise set and ALWAYS at least a 10 MPH cross wind, since I drive in Nebraska. In town it's all short trips in hilly areas, and I get around 14. If I hadn't gone for the slightly taller gears it would do better, but it still gets better mileage than the 4-liter V6 '03 Sport Trac it replaced.

I bought a new F150 Ecoboost a couple of weeks ago. FX4, four door, loaded to the gills.

I traded in my 2008 Chevy Duramax, I don't need a 3/4 ton any more and wanted the nice ride.

My feelings on the Ford? It runs great....better than the Duramax. But the fuel mileage is horrible. They advertised 22 mpg on the sticker, and I'm getting 11.2mpg. The dealer told me today to let the motor break in to 5 to 10k miles, I told him he was nuts. A gas motor doesn't need a long break in like a diesel.

Im curious as to what method your using to identify your actual fuel mileage? Are you doing the "fill it up, drive and refill" divide miles driven by gallons pumped. or using what the "display" is calling your average mpg?

Using the old fashioned way, fill up, divide by the miles. I don't trust a vehicles computer.

It's about half highway, half city. I drive it no different than my Duramax that I was getting about 17mpg. It does have the 3.73 gears.

Do I drive it like a little old lady going to church? No, but I don't drive it like Ian Stewart either.

If I'd known I was gonna get such crappy mileage, I would have gotten a Raptor.

I'm getting 16.5-17.5 in my EcoBoost Crew cab 4X2, mostly around town, back and forth from home to work. 11.2 is bad in any truck, even my 18 year old son gets 12-13 in his 5.4 4X4 and he drives it like he stole it. I haven't had any complaints about mileage with the 3.5, had one friend that complained about a shuddering on acceleration...............it was the rev-limiter. :hairraise::hairraise: He wasn't getting great mileage either. :rolleyes:

I use the truck's computed mileage... I've checked it a number of times using mileage vs. gallons to fill and found it to be right on the money.

The 3.73s will definitely cost you mileage. Shouldn't be THAT much though. It will take a few hundred miles for the ECM to adjust to itself, your driving, etc... but I'd expect it to stabilize within 500 or so.

I have 1000 on the clicker as we speak. I'm gonna take it in this week and make them reflash it.

And I even tried to put Super in it to see if it helped at my last fillup.....actually made the mileage worse.

And I even tried to put Super in it to see if it helped at my last fillup.....actually made the mileage worse.

Super does not have more energy. It won't make mileage better. Use whatever octane is required by the owners manual. Any higher is a waste of money.

Depending on the state the "super" may have ethanol which will indeed hurt your mileage. In Nebraska the "regular" does not have ethanol and costs more then the premium because of that.

All fuel in the greater DFW area has ethanol in it. Mandated by the EPA to try to clean up our air......guess they don't realize that the smog is mostly coming from Houston and Mexico.

It did make the turbo's more pronounced.

Small penis syndrome?

I guess, I could never figure it out. Mine did great pulling even with the 3:54 gear box stock and ate a 5 speed tranny in a 100,000mi. Why pay for more fuel to break your equipment faster.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Same mistake people make with planes. The reality is if you want to reduce operational cost you have to reduce speed. The HP turbo singles that go up looking for those big TAS numbers get temp limited sort of like turbines do. The air runs out of capability to absorb more heat.

That doesnt sound right on the mileage......I work at a ford dealership (parts dept) and we have had zero complaints about fuel mileage out of the ecoboost....weird

I have a number of clients who use Ford trucks in their business, real work. Their mileage is much better than that (one of the reason the trucks’ sales continue to improve). Something definitely is not right!

I did a search on the issue, seems it is more common than Ford is letting on. Probably the reason the GM tried to fight me when I asked for a reflash.

Super does not have more energy. It won't make mileage better. Use whatever octane is required by the owners manual. Any higher is a waste of money.

Depending on the state the "super" may have ethanol which will indeed hurt your mileage. In Nebraska the "regular" does not have ethanol and costs more then the premium because of that.
They ocasionally bust filling stations for labeling/selling the EtOH gas as regular in NE and improving their profit margin. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's not commonly done. IIRC, it was a handful of atations off the interstate.

I did a search on the issue, seems it is more common than Ford is letting on. Probably the reason the GM tried to fight me when I asked for a reflash.

The reason the don't want to reflash the processor, is either it's not covered by warranty given the symptoms or they don't think it will help and either way they create an issue from repairing an issue that isn't clearly defined. I would drive it a little more and see what happens.;)

The reason the don't want to reflash the processor, is either it's not covered by warranty given the symptoms or they don't think it will help and either way they create an issue from repairing an issue that isn't clearly defined. I would drive it a little more and see what happens.;)

What about things like Steinbauer's boxes? Caterpillar was fine with me using them on the 3406s and the actally leave the factory with them for some applications like the Oshkosh fire trucks if they are to be believed. They worked well for me gaining me over 33% efficiency at my cruise speed with no other changes.

BTW, what is the max boost an 'Ecoboost' runs with?

Or they know there is an issue and they refuse to do anything about it. They sold me this truck over a 5.0 or 6.2 based on fuel economy.

I've had better economy out of a carb'd 460

Or they know there is an issue and they refuse to do anything about it. They sold me this truck over a 5.0 or 6.2 based on fuel economy.

I've had better economy out of a carb'd 460

I don't know the dealership you bought it from, but if I thought reflashing a processor would fix a customer's problem, I'd do it regardless of whether or not warranty would pay for it. Most, if not all complaints we get about fuel mileage are issues with the way the vehicle is driven. Last month Ford sent an engineer from Dearborn to look at a customer's Escape, not my customer, we were a neutral spot. Apparently she wasn't on good terms with two other dealers in Atlanta.:dunno: long story short, they hooked up the test gear and drove it, mileage was great, around 25+MPG. It seems she spent 30-45 minutes a day in bumper to bumper traffic, always left the car running with her dog inside when she ran into the store etc. And she was getting around 21-22 IIRC.
Do this experiment: try to see how good you can get your mileage on the next fill up. I mean really try, slow starts, speed limit +5, coast up to stop signs, really do all that you can to increase the MPG, I bet you'll be surprised at the difference.:D
If you don't like the mileage from the 3.5, you would HATE the 6.2:yikes:

At the risk of raining on your parade, DO NOT modify the EcoBoost engine or any other Ford engine with a tuner or programmer, even exhaust systems can be a no-no. I'm sure these products are great, BUT, they can void your warranty. :yikes: A few years ago, the factories turned other way, now they will deny the claims and in many cases void the warranty on the drivetrain. I'm not sure how GM is handling it, but Ford is cracking down. I know you can remove the programmers before bringing them into the shop, but evidence remains in the processor!:mad2: Just about every diesel truck on the road had a "chip" in it with no warranty issues, but times have changed.:dunno:

Ah yes, even more reason to not buy an "American" made car. VW never seems to have a problem with aftermarket mod's on their cars.

Ah yes, even more reason to not buy an "American" made car. VW never seems to have a problem with aftermarket mod's on their cars.
Ah, VW, the one manufacturer that even transmission shops won't work on their transmissions. :rolleyes: We have had 3 or 4 in the last year or so with transmission issues and no one will even look at them, the only repair is a reman unit from VW, that one's a little pricey. :yikes:
No manufacturer has a problem with aftermarket mods, it's warranting the affected components that cause the heartburn. For years Ford would turn a blind eye to aftermarket chips in diesels, then somebody, somewhere realized how much money was being spend on engines that were failing because they were being over boosted. :hairraise:
Try putting a chip in your VW turbo, blowing it up and see how happy they are to put a new motor in for you. :rolleyes:

Try putting a chip in your VW turbo, blowing it up and see how happy they are to put a new motor in for you. :rolleyes:

Seen it done. Not only was it tuned (no additional chip needed, just an ECU tune and then you can tune on the fly), it was with a bigger turbo as well. Friend blew up on the track, towed the car to a dealer and had it replaced, under warranty.

Ah, VW, the one manufacturer that even transmission shops won't work on their transmissions. :rolleyes: We have had 3 or 4 in the last year or so with transmission issues and no one will even look at them, the only repair is a reman unit from VW, that one's a little pricey. :yikes:

BTDT. Luckily under extended warranty. Wife's Jetta TDI wagon. 70K miles.

That car annoys me. After $13,500 in work done to it under that same extended warranty (which cost $350 -- boy that company got the short end of the stick! -- new tranny, new intake manifold, all sorts of expensive plastic parts from Germany) now it just acts like it'll run forever.

Turbo is very laggy now but she gets too many speeding tickets anyway. Haha. Poor girl wants an SUV but we're trying to follow our "drive it until it dies" mantra...

I *almost* had her convinced to take the Yukon and I'd go find a big truck... but that deal appears to have fallen through and the diplomats at the Summit departed with no hard feelings. Haha.

I don't know the dealership you bought it from, but if I thought reflashing a processor would fix a customer's problem, I'd do it regardless of whether or not warranty would pay for it. Most, if not all complaints we get about fuel mileage are issues with the way the vehicle is driven. Last month Ford sent an engineer from Dearborn to look at a customer's Escape, not my customer, we were a neutral spot. Apparently she wasn't on good terms with two other dealers in Atlanta.:dunno: long story short, they hooked up the test gear and drove it, mileage was great, around 25+MPG. It seems she spent 30-45 minutes a day in bumper to bumper traffic, always left the car running with her dog inside when she ran into the store etc. And she was getting around 21-22 IIRC.
Do this experiment: try to see how good you can get your mileage on the next fill up. I mean really try, slow starts, speed limit +5, coast up to stop signs, really do all that you can to increase the MPG, I bet you'll be surprised at the difference.:D
If you don't like the mileage from the 3.5, you would HATE the 6.2:yikes:

The GM stated the same thing, "Do I drive my truck at 55mph on flat ground in no wind?" "Then don't expect the numbers on the sticker"

If I wanted to hypermile my truck, I wouldn't be driving a truck, I'd be driving a Prius. The thing is, I drive this truck like I have every other new truck I've purchased since 1983. I've never had a vehicle get roughly half of the highway sticker, even the 20 or so Diesels I've purchased new in the last 20 years (engines that do require a break in period, some as much as 50,000 miles, to get better mileage).

I get better milaege out of our twin screw Mack Trucks hauling 35,000lbs, and that isn't an exageration.

And yes, the 6.2 does get crappy mileage, but riding in a buddy's Raptor last weekend with about 12,000 miles on the ticker, he's getting better mileage than me and pushing bigger tires and 100 more HP.

If you don't think Ford has an issue, do the Google Fu on it like I did yesterday. You get the standard internet Liars claiming they are getting 25mpg towing 12,000 lbs in the mountains, and then you have the guys complaining about 11 mpg out of their trucks.

I really do like the truck, think it is well built and like I stated in my original post, it does have the get up and go. But I'd have been better off getting a diesel at this rate.

For a half ton truck with a $50,000 sticker price, I expect the sticker to be honest. If not, they can buy it back off of me and I'll get a different truck, one from a manufacturer that isn't lying to it's customers.

This is the 6th new truck we have purchased from this dealership in the past two years, if the GM keeps talking to me like a child, it will be the last and will be the last Ford product.

I get better milaege out of our twin screw Mack Trucks hauling 35,000lbs, and that isn't an exageration.
Then there is obviously something wrong with yours. I know mine does much... MUCH better. Like I said, the 3.73s aren't helping you out any on the mileage. I'm able to keep mine out of boost (under 1700 RPM) most of the time, unless I need or want it to start sucking down great gulps of gas. Because if you feed that 3.5 with 12 PSI of boost, yeah, it's going to drink like there's no tomorrow.

50 grand ? for a 1/2 ton PU...:dunno:

Holy Crap..:yikes::yikes::yikes::hairraise::hairraise::eek:

Haven't been to a dealership lately? ;)

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Anyone have a historical price chart of new Ford trucks? Let's see if they're in line with inflation or above the curve.

We already know new aircraft are significantly above inflation from other threads. I'd be curious about vehicles.

Ford Trucks don't change much so they're a pretty good candidate for long term analysis.

Similar to my self-created McDonalds Quarter Pounder With Cheese inflation indexing.

The numbers on the sticker are EPA numbers not Ford's, if any manufacturer could put their own numbers on there, they would be REALLY HIGH!:rolleyes: I don't think you have to try to ultra mileage tricks, but paying attention to how you drive will change your numbers. That being said, I have only had one complaint about mileage and that was my buddy that was bumping the rev limiter. ;) I would wait and see how the mileage changes after a few thousand miles, most people see an improvement. One of my customers drove his from Atlanta to Orlando two weeks ago, being careful, his highway mileage was around 22 until he hit heavy traffic and ended up at 19 for the trip, it's a 2 wheel drive super crew and it was the week he bought it. Even though we don't have to keep it aviation related here, it's like running full throttle and full rich, it burns more gas than a more conservative power setting. ;)

The GM stated the same thing, "Do I drive my truck at 55mph on flat ground in no wind?" "Then don't expect the numbers on the sticker"

If I wanted to hypermile my truck, I wouldn't be driving a truck, I'd be driving a Prius. The thing is, I drive this truck like I have every other new truck I've purchased since 1983. I've never had a vehicle get roughly half of the highway sticker, even the 20 or so Diesels I've purchased new in the last 20 years (engines that do require a break in period, some as much as 50,000 miles, to get better mileage).

And yes, the 6.2 does get crappy mileage, but riding in a buddy's Raptor last weekend with about 12,000 miles on the ticker, he's getting better mileage than me and pushing bigger tires and 100 more HP.

If you don't think Ford has an issue, do the Google Fu on it like I did yesterday. You get the standard internet Liars claiming they are getting 25mpg towing 12,000 lbs in the mountains, and then you have the guys complaining about 11 mpg out of their trucks.

I really do like the truck, think it is well built and like I stated in my original post, it does have the get up and go. But I'd have been better off getting a diesel at this rate.

For a half ton truck with a $50,000 sticker price, I expect the sticker to be honest. If not, they can buy it back off of me and I'll get a different truck, one from a manufacturer that isn't lying to it's customers.

This is the 6th new truck we have purchased from this dealership in the past two years, if the GM keeps talking to me like a child, it will be the last and will be the last Ford product.

Ha Ha......

Ya know what we call a 2WD truck here in Wyoming ??????????

There was a time I called one "Free".

In about 1985 I was given a 1968 Chevy 2WD half ton fleetside with the long bed and heavy duty suspension. 250 ci six, three on the tree. It had been abandoned in a pasture for about 4 years.

Pumped air into the tires, changed all the belts and hoses, drained and refilled the oil and the fuel tank, new battery, and it fired right up Burned oil a lot, though. Good thing the emissions law at the time exempted vehicles manufactured before 1970. Drove it home - about 800 miles.

Free is good!

-Skip

Got the reflash done yesterday, only after I had to raise hell to get it done.....between yesterday afternoon and today I have already driven 200 miles (not hard to do in DFW) and my computer is stating 15mpg. (actually 14.7)

We will see how it does on a real world check, when I fill the bastard up after lunch.

The dealership had a Red Raptor on the lot yesterday.......it took a lot of willpower not to swap trucks.

Haven't been to a dealership lately? ;)

Ford Trucks don't change much so they're a pretty good candidate for long term analysis.

Trucks have changed quite a bit. My first new vehicle I bought was a 1988 Ford extended cab diesel truck. Top of the line, XLT.

Compared to this 2012, that truck had nothing on it. This one has every gadget known to man kind, doors seal like a vacuum chamber and the room in the back seat is better than the front.

Are they worth $50k? No. But I didn't pay $50k for it either. My partner just bought a new Powerstroke, I think he paid $53 out the door....the Raptor has a sticker price of $57k, and you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer that is willing to deal on one.

My problem with the Raptor wouldn't be the cost of the truck, it'd be the cost of the driver I would have to pay after I lost my license from the ticktets....I drove one that had been race tuned a few months ago.....pushing over 500hp to the wheels. :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise: It would literally smoke all four tires :yikes::yikes::yikes:

I want one......but I can't afford to go to jail for doing 140 in a 50.

Yeah when I say "don't change" I'm really saying I don't factor in most tech improvements. Most are so inexpensive by the time they become common enough to go into a truck (versus say a bleeding edge luxury car) that they pretty much fall out in the noise, pricing-wise.

Ain't no way there's $20K in tech improvements in the average American pickup truck over the modern timeframes mentioned. :)

Ha Ha......

Ya know what we call a 2WD truck here in Wyoming ??????????:dunno::dunno:

Stuck...:lol::lol::rofl::wink2:

Naw, that's jus' for folks what don't know how to drive. I laughed at one of my employees yesterday for claiming that 4wd was necessary on one road. Then I drove it in 2 wd just to prove it. Gotta know what-in-the-hell yer doing if yer gonna get behind the wheel out in the desert...

Got the reflash done yesterday, only after I had to raise hell to get it done.....between yesterday afternoon and today I have already driven 200 miles (not hard to do in DFW) and my computer is stating 15mpg. (actually 14.7)

We will see how it does on a real world check, when I fill the bastard up after lunch.

The dealership had a Red Raptor on the lot yesterday.......it took a lot of willpower not to swap trucks.

You should have bought a Prius.

Back