Essential supplies for first time owner

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
Hi folks,

My offer on a plane has been accepted and it goes to prebuy next week. I wanted to find out what essential supplies are recommended for a new owner. Here is the list of what I've thought so far:

Aircraft cover
Tie down kit
Pitot tube cover
Chalks
Oil
Water
Rags for cleaning
Cleaning supplies- what brands recommend?
Tire pump
Screwdriver kit
Towbar

-Scott

I went through this in March. My list is:

Money
Dollars
Dinero
Sawbucks
Cash
Kitchen Pass
Liquor

And those things on your list.

All kidding aside:
Lemon Pledge for the plexiglass
soft cotton towels for the plexiglass (I prefer white and HATE to touch microfiber.. gives me the hebejebes)
Amonia Free cleaner for the paint
Shop towels for painted areas and floor spills
Lots of gallon and quart ziploc bags (great for holding screws when you pull them, keeping stuff organized and labeled)
Plastic tub for your spare quart or two of oil, cleaners, towels, funnel, etc when you're away from base
Spare sunglasses and hat for when you get gone without them
small screwdriver and wrench set just in case

Thanks I like the liquor joke. I have extra bottle of Belching Beaver peanut butter stout on hand for those hangar party occasions as well as my single malt 15 year Dalwhinney scotch. Keeping fingers crossed on the prebuy.

Work bench
tool box
riveting tools
cable tension tools
wrenches/sockets etc
hammers
a bag full of batteries
many many flashlights
oil filters
jacks & oil
shelves
the biggest aircompressor you can run on the power available in your hangar
Defueling storage equipment
engine hoist
forced fresh air respirator
organic vapor respirator and cartridges
endless supply of zip ties
masking tape
safety wire
engine timing tools
maintenance manuals
tug
good step ladder
cordless drill
"dremmel" tool kit
fan
Small blue Daniels contact crimper with most popular positioners.
Good multimeter
and much much more

Last edited:
I have started using Wash-Wax-All and have been very pleased with the results. You can use it as a dry wash (meaning you don't have to worry about finding a wash rack/airport EPA concerns...etc).

Pet peeve of mine. :D

Chalk:
weather_experiments_puddle_chalk.jpg

Chock:
HA_Wheel_Chock_Set_1.jpg

Wow sounds like I need to buy a factory
full of A&P tools! Just want to maintain it not
build new aircraft. Anyways it's a Debbie
or should I say a nice Beechcraft Debonair.

Aircraft cover
If your plane is parked out side and it leaks.
Rags for cleaning
I get a sack of microfiber towels from Costco...lasts a long time.
I use a simple McGuiers or something car wash to wash and Collinite 845 (thanks Henning) to wax. You'll want PRIST or some similar acrylic-safe window cleaner.
Tire pump
I have a cheap compressor in the hangar.
Screwdriver kit
I keep a small toolkit: screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers etc.. Look around at your plane and see what you need.

I have chocks in the hangar but I don't carry them around with me. For my plane I take two extra ropes because sometimes there are rings in the ramp but no ropes and when there are ropes they frequently won't reach the Navion tiedown rings.

Saftey wire, pliers, sockets and wrenches with torque wrenches, lemon pledge, microfiber clothes. Don't bother with the super expensive chocks and tie downs, simple stuff works just as well.

Here are things I have actually used as an airplane owner...

Cleaning supplies:
Microfiber towels- get lots.
Your chosen washing soap/stuffs. I actually use a dry wash/wax once a year just out of convenience. Others use typical car wash soap/wax products.
Windshield washer fluid(the bug remover kind)
Spray bottle
Helicopter Polish(spray can) Arrow Magnolia is the manufacturer I think.

What you do is fill up a spray bottle with the windshield washer fluid. Then after each flight(at least in the buggy seasons) is spray down the leading edges of the wing, horiz stabilizer, wheel pants(if applicable), spinner, front of the cowling... basically all front facing surfaces that get bugs then wipe them down with a microfiber cloth.

On the windshield use the helicopter polish.... spray on, rub in good, let dry, polish off with another dry microfiber.

Hangar supplies(if you have a hangar):
Trash can
Push broom(widest you can get)
lighting.... I had a work light. Your need for this may vary with your hangar
extension cords

For cross-country/overnight trips..
Good set of ratchet straps for tie-downs. Some airports supply rope, most do not. If you're a good with knots, rope is fine. I don't trust my own knots.
A good multitool... pliers/screwdrivers/a blade.
Flashlights
Tow-bar
Rags
Spare oil
Spray bottle/helicopter polish/microfiber cloths so I can clean bugs away from home
One or two old sectionals(unfold, tuck under sunvisors and have a great window shade while parked)
Means to recharge phone/tablet
Beef Jerky(this goes in my flight bag, never go on a cross-country without it)
Water bottle

I don't carry chocks, never have. Most FBOs have them and will chock your airplane without being asked. If you are tied down, then you don't need them. If you're just stopping for lunch or something and the FBO doesn't have them, use the parking brake.

For cold weather(meaning below and well below freezing weather):
Any cold weather kit your aircraft may have/need and the tools to install/remove it yourself.
A switchbox to turn on the pre-heater by remote
An insulated cowl cover if it may be parked outside... extension cords also not a bad idea
Cleats that slip over your shoes so you can get traction pulling it across an icy ramp
A small ice pick and hammer to remove tie-downs encased in ice

MONEY

Good set of ratchet straps for tie-downs.
I would recommend AGAINST the garden variety ratchet straps. The problem with these is that they use open hooks and I have seen those escape the aircraft tie down rings when the plane gets rocking and rolling (especially on soft ground or you're in a place where the tiedowns have some give to them). I had some dedicated slack adjusting tiedowns that were loaned to me do this in the middle of an Oshkosh thunderstorm. Fortunately I was at the plane and heard it go. I quickly retied the loose side with rope (except I was trying to do it with 50' of rope to do it in a hurry). I retied the other side as well.

Learn how to tie a knot or get the kind with locking ends.

Also you don't want to be "Racheting" down on the aircraft wings with the tiedown.

Pet peeve of mine. :D

Chalk:
weather_experiments_puddle_chalk.jpg

Chock:
HA_Wheel_Chock_Set_1.jpg

What if you need the chalk to draw an outline to place the chock? :D

But seriously, I share your pain. I too have hard time tolerating blatant misspellings or grammatical errors from native speakers. C'mon, whose language is it? Your own. Own it, like it, love it, take pride in it. It's not like you're an illegal.
If I wanted to correct every misspelling of an error that I see on the forums, I would have no spare time to fly. And that wouldn't fly. ;)
So I chock it up to life experience (see what I did there, huh? :lol: ) and move on. Life is too precious to try to teach everybody how imperfect they are. Heck, I myself am guilty, in some way, I am absolutely positive.

To the OP: do not forget a roll of duct tape in your toolbox/flightbag. You will be surprised how often you will need it.

Now let's go fly!

Cash,and a credit card,everything else is secondary. When you start carrying all the other stuff ,don't forget weight and balance. Get an I pad with foreflight.

Thanks there are no hangars at KMYF so will look at KSEE.

I like Bruce aircraft covers but tbey are super expensive and take weeks to arrive.

Windshield washer fluid(the bug remover kind)

FWIW, washer fluid removes wax (if you're still using 1970's carnauba waxes) or sealants (if you're using modern stuff).

I wouldn't go out and buy all this stuff at once. Just get what you need right now. And when you need something later, get it then. You'll eventually have a pretty good stash in a few years.

+1 Anymouse. Aircraft Spruce has most of what I will need. My basic toolkit so far:

Canvas tool bag to hold gear
Screwdriver set
Safety wire pliers
Masking tape
Zip ties
Microfiber clothes
Rags
Heat shield and/or canopy cover
Socket tool set
Air compressor/pump
Gust lock
Tie down kit
Cleaning supplies
Oil
Pitot tube cover to keep bugs and birds out
Engine cowl plugs
Small step ladder
Tow-bar
Flashlights
Lubricant
external screw kit with spare screws

Jebus, I don't have even a quarter of that stuff.

• Hangar (non-electrified, old-skool port-a-port, no generator, no water supply)
  • Case of Oil
  • Cotton rags
  • Plexus (nearly empty - will probably be replaced with Lemon Pledge)
  • Bug/Tar Remover for the belly or Citrus cleaner
  • Rejex wax (or Maguiars - whatever) for the leading edges - helps bugs release more easily
  • Squirt bottle with water
  • 3 gallons of fresh water (to refill the squirt bottle)
  • Tow bar
  • Carpet square for getting on my back to check gear and clean the belly - a creeper would be better.
  • Red Dragon Preheater
I have two of those water tank backpack sprayers that you can get at Home Depot for washing the plane. One is for soapy water and the other is for rinse. I have a soft extendo car washing brush. Washing the plane this way sucks but AFAIK there is no good place to wash a plane at KAPA.

The other way I wash the plane, honestly, is with the squirt bottle and paper towels or rags. That takes a while and is really more like dusting/bug removal.

I also have some stupid frightening one-wheel avgas-powered tug that I won't use because it's hard to control and scary AF. The previous hangar owner threw it in with the deal.

And I store my snow thrower in there in the summer. Mower in winter.

Last edited:
I think that I can get a few basics and more over time. Now I do really like this massive hangar office at KSEE that I looked at today with enough room for several aircraft and upstairs office with living quarters. That would be my aviator dream. Then you can hangar party.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, you don't need to spend a lot of money on pitot tube covers and engine inlet plugs. I use a tennis ball with a hole cut it in for the pitot tube, and two $0.99 purple and white car wash sponges (from Walmart!) for the cowl plugs. Work great.

I also bought everything as I needed rather than all at once. Sure, you'll need safety wire, a bucket, a torque wrench, etc. for an oil change, but wait for the oil change to come around, then buy it.

I have a low wing airplane, so a mechanic's creeper makes checking tires less messy (for me).

I bought a card table and a couple of chairs for the hangar. It's nice to sit down somewhere and have lunch while watching the planes. Or was until the recent runway work left a hill of dirt in front of mine. Arrrg.

I leave a chock on the floor in the hangar where the left tire goes. Just push the plane in on the marked center line and stop at the chock.

This:

you don't need to spend a lot of money on pitot tube covers and engine inlet plugs. I use a tennis ball with a hole cut it in for the pitot tube, and two $0.99 purple and white car wash sponges (from Walmart!) for the cowl plugs

Brilliant way to save $$ and thank you for the quite ingenious tip! I decided to buy the cheaper cockpit heat shield cover instead of spending $700 on an expensive Bruce custom canopy cover and having to wait 6+ weeks to get it.

Hi folks,

My offer on a plane has been accepted and it goes to prebuy next week. I wanted to find out what essential supplies are recommended for a new owner. Here is the list of what I've thought so far:

Aircraft cover
Tie down kit
Pitot tube cover
Chalks
Oil
Water
Rags for cleaning
Tire pump
Screwdriver kit
Towbar

-Scott

-Checkbook
-KY

Collenite Insulator Wax to put on all non cloth surfaces.

This. I was skeptical when Henning started pushing this stuff, but I have it on everything now. Cars, RV, whatever. It works damned well. That stuff is eerily good. Thanks Henning!

Jebus, I don't have even a quarter of that stuff.

• Hangar (non-electrified, old-skool port-a-port, no generator, no water supply)

I have two of those water tank backpack sprayers that you can get at Home Depot for washing the plane. One is for soapy water and the other is for rinse. I have a soft extendo car washing brush. Washing the plane this way sucks but AFAIK there is no good place to wash a plane at KAPA.

The other way I wash the plane, honestly, is with the squirt bottle and paper towels or rags. That takes a while and is really more like dusting/bug removal.

I also have some stupid frightening one-wheel avgas-powered tug that I won't use because it's hard to control and scary AF. The previous hangar owner threw it in with the deal.

And I store my snow thrower in there in the summer. Mower in winter.

• You must not be too far from us. Which row are you in? Area Hotel east ramp area I assume? We're in row 29 / hangars lettered in Charlie + number.

As far as washing at APA, don't bother. Throw a bucket of towels and the soap and wax in the back and fly over to FTG and use their wash rack. Well, in summer when the hose is there and the water is still turned on, anyway...

Metro supposedly also has one, but I've never found it. It's hiding. LOL.

Plus if you call them and they're around the CO FTG PoA clan members will come watch you work and laugh at you for spending too much money on a hangar at APA like me. Haha.

Well, we bought the darn thing, so I guess I'm not spending money on it anymore, technically... Just the ground lease.

What's so scary about your tug? We love ours. They do have a clutch usually, you know... And don't go anywhere without you pulling on it... Heh heh. It also helps if it's a big one to throttle it down. No need to go zooming around with a light aircraft. The only time ours ever sees full throttle is at start or if for some wacky reason we were to need to tow the airplane halfway across the airport with it, but frankly, if I needed that I'd just call Denver Jet and have them tow it with a tug.

For the list stuff... We have most of that crap in the hangar plus more. But you really don't need to buy it all right away. And no one mentioned getting the preheater first... Winter is coming.

Here's one that'll make Jesse laugh...

The phone number to the FBO on speed dial preferably to the catering folk, when you find your chocks frozen to the hangar floor. A pot of hot water from their coffee maker will get you unstuck. LOL.

Ask Jesse how I know this. :)

[*]Plexus (nearly empty - will probably be replaced with Lemon Pledge)

Margy used the bottle of Eyes Outside that PlanePerfect sent us. She says it is way better than the cans of Prist we've been using.

You are certain to need some old cotton tshirts and bug cleaner, your own tie downs. Beyond that, just get what you need as you need it.

You are certain to need some old cotton tshirts and bug cleaner, your own tie downs. Beyond that, just get what you need as you need it.

Just don't use most "bug cleaners" on your widows, most of them are light hydrocarbons and will haze them over time.

CAMGUARD to go with your oil :) Everyone pretty much covered the other things..

And if not mentioned already - funnels - I use this one Oil Funnel

Not sure what type of plane you have or altitudes you will fly so you may or may not need a pulse oximeter

I generally fly above 12 and do a lot of night flying so I always keep it.

May as well throw in a nice Anker Charger as well

I'm surprised we have not seen every poster recommending their favorite metal landing calculator. I prefer the ASA brand as the numbers are etched in rather than silkscreened on. Lasts longer in the flight bag and doesn't required the biennial certification.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I have really taken a liking to WashWax on my plane. I applied a quality wax with a buffer to one section of the wing and WashWax on another. They produced the same result and no appreciable difference.

I'm surprised we have not seen every poster recommending their favorite metal landing calculator. I prefer the ASA brand as the numbers are etched in rather than silkscreened on. Lasts longer in the flight bag and doesn't required the biennial certification.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I have really taken a liking to WashWax on my plane. I applied a quality wax with a buffer to one section of the wing and WashWax on another. They produced the same result and no appreciable difference.

Gotta get the cloud sight before the metal landing calculator.

Back