Essential supplies for first time owner

+1 Anymouse. Aircraft Spruce has most of what I will need. My basic toolkit so far:

Canvas tool bag to hold gear

Screwdriver set

Safety wire pliers

Masking tape

Zip ties

Microfiber clothes

Rags

Heat shield and/or canopy cover

Socket tool set

Air compressor/pump

Gust lock

Tie down kit

Cleaning supplies

Oil

Pitot tube cover to keep bugs and birds out

Engine cowl plugs

Small step ladder

Tow-bar

Flashlights

Lubricant

external screw kit with spare screws

I'm not an owner, so bear with me. Several responses included socket tools, safety wire, and safety wire pliers. Why?

By it's nature, don't safety-wired nuts stay on? (Yes, I still check them on my preflights on my rentals.).

Would the need for these things be if you noticed on a preflight that your mechanic failed to safety wire something, or forgot to torque an engine bolt or a bolt holding a magneto, for example, and you need to make a field fix before getting it to your (or any) mechanic?

I'm not an owner, so bear with me. Several responses included socket tools, safety wire, and safety wire pliers. Why?

By it's nature, don't safety-wired nuts stay on? (Yes, I still check them on my preflights on my rentals.).

Would the need for these things be if you noticed on a preflight that your mechanic failed to safety wire something, or forgot to torque an engine bolt or a bolt holding a magneto, for example, and you need to make a field fix before getting it to your (or any) mechanic?

On our airplane, and oil change requires safety wire. The oil filter is safety wired such that it can't spin itself off of the adapter. That'd be one example.

Some of the allowed pilot maintenance items may also require it as you learn to do your own MX items also. Depends on your airframe.

There's also the quintessential "I'm stuck at an airport with nobody and going to freeze to death because I forgot to pack something warm to wear..." (Hmm: A new set of items, your survival gear that stays in the aircraft full time, if you're into that sort of thing... And/or the model that you'll only have with you what you have ON you, and a survival vest... Survival gear is a completely different topic)... And many are mechanically inclined enough that they'd toss the new alternator belt on the airplane without thinking much about it (legalities aside) and fly home, to a nice warm bed.

Some owners carry all sorts of common failure spare parts, for that scenario, or even just to hand to the local A&P so they don't have to wait two days to have the part shipped to them to stick on your airplane. Just a box of stuff that's always in the back and always in the W&B calculations. Often that box includes the correct hand tools to do those things.

Personally I don't carry many spares in the airplane. I carry more spares in my truck (fan belt, etc) than the aircraft. But if I spent more time in lightly inhabited territory, I would reassess that decision. I do carry a small toolbox with simple hand tools. Not being able to launch because some stupid screw worked loose behind the panel or something generally innocuous like that, which may or may not be legal for me to touch, would be dumb.

Example... And a legal one... We once took some damage to a wheel pant (I'd just remove them if I could altogether but the co-owners like the look) and I spent a half hour removing the damned thing on a ramp paved with asphalt in the hot sun, so we could fly the airplane home. The hand tools in the toolbox made that possible. Get the thing off so it won't drag on or damage the tire, and deal with it later.

No tools, you're standing there wondering if someone will loan you some or if they'll charge you $75/hr+ and/or a weekend call out charge, just to remove ten or so screws and pop the fiberglass fairing off.

That said, I've met a few pilots who weren't blessed with the "mechanical" gene who shouldn't be allowed within ten yards of a screwdriver. If you're that guy, all you need is a charged cell phone and a credit card. Seriously. If you're not up to something, just leave it alone and have someone show you how.

I won't do tires. They're allowed for pilots but split rims and inattentiveness can kill or maim and I also just have no desire at all to be jacking the airplane up. I'll happily pay the money.

One thing I hate about the new GATS jars and what not over the old school fuel tester is the loss of a decent Phillips screwdriver on the bottom. That screwdriver works great for popping the cowl off of our 182. Fits perfectly.

By the way, most oil filters have a "nut" welded to the top in aviation. You'll usually need a 1" socket and an extension of the right length to give them a gentle turn when some dummy puts them on too tight. If you have to really get after it with a socket wrench, go box whoever did it last about the ears. ;)

One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Mark

At least the cloud sight is marginally useful if you are near the top of your service ceiling and have a limited rate of climb, they let you know you need to start climbing early.

One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Mark

That's sounds more like a typical Saturday night out for 6PC. All that's missing is a tablet and public Wifi so he can access Casual Encounters on Craigslist.

Great tip. I like it.
Would you have any ideas for bigger cowl openings?

Not really. But I didn't really think of using sponges for the cowl plugs either until I was walking through the store for something else and it occurred to me. Just wander the aisles at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and look at stuff and try to imagine what you can use it for besides its original purpose.

Like, depending on how big your hole is, I might see if a foam pool noodle, or foam float, cut to size, would work.

Not really. But I didn't really think of using sponges for the cowl plugs either until I was walking through the store for something else and it occurred to me. Just wander the aisles at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and look at stuff and try to imagine what you can use it for besides its original purpose.

Like, depending on how big your hole is, I might see if a foam pool noodle, or foam float, cut to size, would work.

Paint stores usually have sponges big enough that will fit the biggest cowl openings I've seen.

A forgotten sponge used as cowl-plug is really going to ruin your day. Once you have the plane, order a set of cowl-plugs with a flag and a connecting lanyard. If you start up with the cowl-plugs in, the lanyard will pull them out and they get shredded by the prop ;)

A forgotten sponge used as cowl-plug is really going to ruin your day. Once you have the plane, order a set of cowl-plugs with a flag and a connecting lanyard. If you start up with the cowl-plugs in, the lanyard will pull them out and they get shredded by the prop ;)

A knotted string will do the same thing.

Interesting and yeah I'd carry survival gear and flotation raft especially flying over water or remote mountain areas. I carry a portable first aid kit. The personal beacon is good item to have as is carbon monoxide detector.

Margy used the bottle of Eyes Outside that PlanePerfect sent us. She says it is way better than the cans of Prist we've been using.

Glad to hear it Ron! That's one of our best sellers for a reason. :)

I wanted to find out what essential supplies are recommended for a new owner.

A drill for the hole in the head you'll wish you had after the first unexpected major bill where you accidentally look away from what the mechanic is doing at the annual... :dunno:

Make sure you set aside mx reserves, pre-populate an account with a reserve if you can, and keep your wallet fat and happy.

Oh. And a battery tender that you can run your avionics off of while on the ground. Comes in handy more times than not...

/firsttimeowner

Mark

Thank you, Dr. Strangelove.

Jim

OP just buy some good rope/tie down kit, and a can of lemon Pledge for now until you figure out what you need later. ;)

If you have a hangar, the best thing I bought was a small Rubbermaid push cart. I can wheel it over to the oil hatch to change the oil and have a place to put the dipstick etc while I am working.

If you have a hangar, the best thing I bought was a small Rubbermaid push cart. I can wheel it over to the oil hatch to change the oil and have a place to put the dipstick etc while I am working.

Couple of tubs with tight fitting lids to store anything you care about. Hangars seem to create dust and humidity which creeps into tool boxes or stacks of clean rags.

You must not be too far from us. Which row are you in? Area Hotel east ramp area I assume? We're in row 29 / hangars lettered in Charlie + number.

As far as washing at APA, don't bother. Throw a bucket of towels and the soap and wax in the back and fly over to FTG and use their wash rack. Well, in summer when the hose is there and the water is still turned on, anyway...

Metro supposedly also has one, but I've never found it. It's hiding. LOL.

Plus if you call them and they're around the CO FTG PoA clan members will come watch you work and laugh at you for spending too much money on a hangar at APA like me. Haha.

Well, we bought the darn thing, so I guess I'm not spending money on it anymore, technically... Just the ground lease.

What's so scary about your tug? We love ours. They do have a clutch usually, you know... And don't go anywhere without you pulling on it... Heh heh. It also helps if it's a big one to throttle it down. No need to go zooming around with a light aircraft. The only time ours ever sees full throttle is at start or if for some wacky reason we were to need to tow the airplane halfway across the airport with it, but frankly, if I needed that I'd just call Denver Jet and have them tow it with a tug.

Row 29 C-18, neighbor! I'm in one of the medium-size porta ports. Two down from where the guy disassembled one (nice parking space for my car now).

Good call on heading over to Front Range to wash. I'll have to wash it soon as I have carrots growing on my wings.

I scared myself with the tug and decided I don't like it for that reason. I did figure out the clutch but I'm not proficient so it scares me. Agree with throttling back fo sho. That said, my box faces west so I'm pulling it up a slight hill and that sucks, especially with a little snow and ice on the ground. That's when I relent and fire up Tugzilla.

Couple of tubs with tight fitting lids to store anything you care about. Hangars seem to create dust and humidity which creeps into tool boxes or stacks of clean rags.

This. This x 10.

In the spring, the two rubbermaid containers I got for storing the window washing cloths turn yellow on top from all the pollen. My hangar is one of the older ones and though it has a door is far from air tight. I'd like to think a more modern hangar wouldn't be quite as bad.

Collenite Insulator Wax to put on all non cloth surfaces.

I have put that stuff on everything I own that can use it. It's very effective. This week I had some time off from work and was prepping for a fishing trip when I got a business call. I'm on the phone talking to a customer when my 70lb labrador decides to jump from the dock on to the front of my express style boat which is freshly waxed with collinite. The best I can describe is that he slow motion ice skated all the way over to the other side of the boat and fell off into the bay :rofl:

Last edited:
Row 29 C-18, neighbor! I'm in one of the medium-size porta ports. Two down from where the guy disassembled one (nice parking space for my car now).

Good call on heading over to Front Range to wash. I'll have to wash it soon as I have carrots growing on my wings.

I scared myself with the tug and decided I don't like it for that reason. I did figure out the clutch but I'm not proficient so it scares me. Agree with throttling back fo sho. That said, my box faces west so I'm pulling it up a slight hill and that sucks, especially with a little snow and ice on the ground. That's when I relent and fire up Tugzilla.

Maybe we will run into each other out there sometime and we can see if your tug is wild. Heh.

We were kinda amazed some dude bought a hangar and carted it off. Kinda looks weird with a hole in the row now. Ha.

Tip on the snow. They'll plow the center of the row only. Get out there soon after it flies and shovel away what you need clear in front of the hangar or it'll melt and refreeze into an impenetrable one foot high ice block that you'll never get the airplane over. Ask me how I know. Haha.

I think I spent five hours chipping that thing down for an hour proficiency flight once. It's drift pretty high against the door and then freeze solid after a warm
day. Best to make an hour of time on that warm day and get rid of it ASAP.

Oh and the tug will be useless if there's any ice or snow on the ground. No traction to go uphill. It'll just spin. I've considered making it little tire chains but haven't needed to.

And then of course there's always the bright idea to have two people push from behind to get over the bump. But one always pushes harder than the other and that traction thing again... The tire on the harder pushers side will slide forward across the ice in a heartbeat. And now the airplane is cockeyed or worse, you'll whack the tail into the supports for the doors. (Haven't done the latter yet, but cockeyed, yup.)

Kitty litter, gravel, or ice melt can help but then you've created FOD and a mess that needs sweeping up eventually.

:) :) :)

But the tug is definitely useless in ice and almost useless in snow. ;)

If I had a hangar then a power tug would be important. Since it is impossible for find a hangar right now in San Diego, the regular towbar works for a tie down area.

Back