Dynon SkyView HDX for certified aircraft!

ybitz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ybitz
http://www.dynonavionics.com/certified/

SKyView HDX will be available for certified aircraft, starting with the 172.

The cost of the equipment installed in the initial C172 is approximately $16,000. This complete SkyView HDX system includes Primary Flight Instruments, Engine Monitoring, Autopilot, Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out, Mapping with Flight Planning, ADS-B In Traffic and Weather, Battery Backup, and more.
And another $2k for the STC itself. Pretty much everything except a IFR GPS Navigator!

Last edited:
Not exactly competitive at $16K, plus the $2K STC, plus the labor to install.

Competitive with what? Any new AP is going to cost more than $20k installed and the reset if gravy. A Garmin/Stec/JPI with ADSB-IN/OUT solution would probably cost upwards of $60k. I'd say that is pretty darn competitive.

Competive with what? That isn't much more than what I paid for a G3X Touch for my exp. What are you comparing it to?

I guess anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There's an autopilot you can get for $2K right now from another thread. Yes, for certified planes.

I guess anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There's an autopilot you can get for $2K right now from another thread. Yes, for certified planes.
Is that the same one they used in the movie "Airplane"? The one with the inflation tube around the belt line?

The Skyview is a lot more than an auto pilot driver. I can honestly say that my AP cost $1500 but to leave out the cost of the G3X that drives it is misleading.

like it or not we are living in the avionics revolution age everyone was complaining about nothing happening just a few years ago. Unfortunately there isn't all the much happening on the power plant side that is anywhere near affordable.

Just flew a 182L equipped with a GTN625 & GDL88 450 miles, these new radios just rock. Fortunately for us it was a reasonably priced airplane with no autopilot, thankfully shortly after we bought it Garmin announced the new GFC500 which should be under $10K installed.

Crossing my fingers the GFC500 is approved for the 177 at some point.

Last edited:
Garmin introduced the G5 for certified,
Dynon "hold my beer"

If it does the stealth 1200, that might be my ADSB 2020 solution.

But is it IFR?

This is more like a G500 plus autopilot, and likely better. No comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure is making those older HSIs and autopilots less and less desirable. Especially if/when fixing them costs a ton of money.

It depends. I'm not an owner now, but I'm going down that path. Where I can see the value in either this or the recent Garmin product announcements is when you find a solid airframe with a stock panel. From 1964.

If it only takes $20 - $25K installed to take this $34K Comanche 250 panel to a modern IFR panel with ADSB, I have reasonable choices to make that happen. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• Bad Panel.PNG
    Bad Panel.PNG
    391.5 KB · Views: 61
my only complaint is that it appears that it must be installed by one of their dealers. hope that changes, any decent A&P IA should be able to install one. It is not that hard and dynons manuals are fantastic.

bob

Game changer. Going to change the vendor space quickly with innovations like this.

Century flight systems - going out of business. Won't sell another unit and service can't keep you a float. Zero innovation happening. Why fix when new costs less?
Aspen - you must merge or you are history. Prices are way too high and you need more product. Connected panel is dead, as is the weather receiver. Just cut prices on aoa, ads-b, and SVT for a reason.
STEC - lower price or won't survive.
Garmin - in it to win it. Will adjust pricing as needed to keep mkt share.
Dynon - in it to win it. Kudos on innovation.
Sandel - going out of business. No future.
Bendix/King - are you still in business? If so, not for much longer
Avidyne - Buy Aspen. You need to get more mkt share to compete. Dfc90 could be the ticket if you use other than STEC servos.
Trio, TRuTrack and other new autopilots - loads of $ if you play your cards right.

Great for customers.

On the app side same thing will soon take place. Can the market support all of these? Innovation and pricing are the drivers.

Foreflight - leader but getting pricey
Garmin pilot - reduced prices when you buy charts. Catching up with features. Has Connext.
FlyQ - Great pricing but needs panel connectivity with Connext.
Wingx - basic vfr now free, but still behind feature wise.
FLTPLAN go - lacks key features like Connext, but it's free.

Last edited:
It depends. I'm not an owner now, but I'm going down that path. Where I can see the value in either this or the recent Garmin product announcements is when you find a solid airframe with a stock panel. From 1964.

If it only takes $20 - $25K installed to take this $34K Comanche 250 panel to a modern IFR panel with ADSB, I have reasonable choices to make that happen. Just my opinion.

Oh brother. yeah, the panel is the least of your worries with a 30K comanche. Seriously, forest for the trees on that one. You'll spend at least that much getting that thing back to life, assuming you know what to look for in the type. Then you'll get stuck with a 75K, 50K Comanche. I think you may be putting the cart before the horse on this one, but your monkey, your circus. Good luck to ya.

Any chance this drives legacy equipment down a nickle? (STECs, GNS, Bueler?). These things never seem to move an inch. Us bottom feeder and bush-lurkers would love some legacy "junk" at oh say, Katrina "grab-n-carry" prices :D

Any chance this drives legacy equipment down a nickle? (STECs, GNS, Bueler?). These things never seem to move an inch. Us bottom feeder and bush-lurkers would love some legacy "junk" at oh say, Katrina "grab-n-carry" prices :D

You mean used?
Don't forget, installation is the same either way and significant cost.

We just bought a pretty nice Cessna 182 with a GTN & GDL88, 800 hours since zero timed O470 engine, the price was right because it had no autopilot and original paint, not paying for legacy autopilots seemed like a better deal to me with all the newer equipment becoming available.

I can only hope these new autopilots get approved for the C177 series eventually.

Fortunately I'll be somewhere in Wisconsin where I can talk to the guys at Dynon... and get some more hats!

I'm curious why the Skyview system will be good to go for A/P but the D-10A and/or D-100 are not. They use the same servos as SV. Also, the D-180 is not listed in the STC and it is the D-100 + EMS (again, same servos)

Anyway, I'll be back in a few days to share what I hear from the horses mouth. I'll also be talking to the other horses moving EXP stuff to the certificated market.

Oh brother. yeah, the panel is the least of your worries with a 30K comanche. Seriously, forest for the trees on that one. You'll spend at least that much getting that thing back to life, assuming you know what to look for in the type. Then you'll get stuck with a 75K, 50K Comanche. I think you may be putting the cart before the horse on this one, but your monkey, your circus. Good luck to ya.
Even if you are right about the Comanche example, I think TCABM had the right idea. I know that when I looked, and when many other posters on here wrote about their airplane search, they might find a suitable plane with an outdated panel. Updating the panel would way to much to justify the cost of the plane. But this could very well change that calculation.

Or better yet, someone may already own a nice bird with outdated avionics and up until now it would cost less to sell and buy a better equipped plane than to upgrade his own panel. This may resolve that too.

All in all, as negative as some people are, I think this is a great thing for GA.

I agree John. The only people that should be disappointed about this huge breakthrough are those in the avionics mfg field... that don't work for Dynon. But who knows, maybe this is just the opening of the floodgates and this time next year we're taking about multiple comparable options.

I'm not sure I could stomach spending 70% the value of my aircraft for a <20% value increase all said and done.

One of the rental planes I fly just got a Skyview HDX installed. It's a very nice PFD/transponder/ADS-B/autopilot combination, although the display is a bit small. It that the same product as is being referred to here?

The owner has it mated with an old GNC 300XL GPS/com.

The decision to wait until the deadline to install ADS-B is looking like a smart decision. So far.

It'll suck if I can't get whatever I pick installed for a year 'cause they're backed up.

C'mon now, we all know airplanes are just endless money holes.

Airplanes aren't investments they are conveyances. If you aren't planning to sell, the number #1 decision metric is utility, followed by enjoyment, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon now, we all know airplanes are just endless money holes.
Money hole, yes, but the endless part is the tougher part to stomach. I know I'll lose my ass in an avionics upgrade, but I don't want it to be entirely burning money :)

The biggest issue I've seen with the garmin and other eHSIs is they don't have the display overlays the more pro targeted sandels and the likes have

But is it IFR?

If mated with an IFR Certified GPS nav source. Read: Garmin or Avidyne or ancient King. LOL...

Seriously... the hole in the market right now is an affordable IFR GPS location source. The displays and all the wrangling on price for these, is moot if the nav source stays up around $10,000 for new.

I believe that the ancient GNC 300XL that is mated to the Dynon that I mentioned above is IFR. It looks used, and since it's so old and not made anymore, I doubt that it cost much.

If mated with an IFR Certified GPS nav source. Read: Garmin or Avidyne or ancient King. LOL...

Seriously... the hole in the market right now is an affordable IFR GPS location source. The displays and all the wrangling on price for these, is moot if the nav source stays up around $10,000 for new.

Since when is GPS required for IFR? If you have nav equipment required for the route, and have an IFR pitot static check your good to go.

Bob

Game changer. Going to change the vendor space quickly with innovations like this.

Century flight systems - going out of business. Won't sell another unit and service can't keep you a float. Zero innovation happening. Why fix when new costs less?
Aspen - you must merge or you are history. Prices are way too high and you need more product. Connected panel is dead, as is the weather receiver. Just cut prices on aoa, ads-b, and SVT for a reason.
Avidyne - Buy Aspen. You need to get more mkt share to compete. Ddc90 could be the ticket if you use other than STEC servos.
Trio, TRuTrack and other new autopilots - loads of $ if you play your cards right.

Great for customers.

On the app side same thing will soon take place. Can the market support all of these? Innovation and pricing are the drivers.

Foreflight - leader but getting pricey
Garmin pilot - reduced prices when you buy charts. Catching up with features. Has Connext.
FlyQ - Great pricing but needs panel connectivity with Connext.
Wingx - basic vfr now free, but still behind feature wise.
FLTPLAN go - lacks key features like Connext, but it's free.

Great rundown. I agree with pretty much all of that.

The biggest issue I've seen with the garmin and other eHSIs is they don't have the display overlays the more pro targeted sandels and the likes have

Yes, it's a feature differentiator, but a small one in my view. There are so many other displays now which are as good or better in most cockpits which have that level of avionics. In my case a GTN650 and an iPad getting ADS-B weather and traffic from a GTX345 gives me an excellent view of that data on bigger screens. Would it be nice to have the option to output some of that data on the HSI? Sure...

Yes, it's a feature differentiator, but a small one in my view. There are so many other displays now which are as good or better in most cockpits which have that level of avionics. In my case a GTN650 and an iPad getting ADS-B weather and traffic from a GTX345 gives me an excellent view of that data on bigger screens. Would it be nice to have the option to output some of that data on the HSI? Sure...

Perhaps, but if you fly behind a more elaborate HSI enough, I've found I really miss my overlays on the more basic eHSIs

Yup. I was really impressed with Dynon's offering.

They still exist? :eek:

Yup. Otherwise their funeral will be at Sun 'n' Fun next spring.

They did introduce a new A/P this week just like everyone else. They did not announce the price. It could be competitive, especially if you can keep existing S-TEC servos.

Yup - And hopefully Dynon et al will keep the pressure on and the prices low.

Yes. Their software has a ways to go before the FAA will certify them I think, but they've got a head start on Garmin. Next year is going to be VERY interesting. Can't wait!

Again... They still exist? :eek:

Honeywell owns them, and I swear they must be just pouring money into them. Certification of the AeroVue (King Air glass panel retrofit) couldn't have been cheap, but nobody's going to buy it.

They also have been talking about their KI-300 indicator that replaces the KI-256 and can drive the KFC150 et al. It doesn't even do what the G5 can do other than that, and it costs $8,000 and is total vaporware - Announced two years ago. I asked them this week when it would be shipping. "Fourth quarter." "Uh, which year?" "2018. I MEAN 2017!!!!!!" (Freudian slip much?)

Sad to see such a formerly great company go like this, but Bendix/King is headed the way of Narco.

Avidyne - Buy Aspen. You need to get more mkt share to compete. Ddc90 could be the ticket if you use other than STEC servos.

That's actually a good idea. Of course, Avidyne also really needs help with their reliability and customer service. Badly. I wouldn't buy any of their stuff even if it looked as good as Garmin's.

Back