Dynon SkyView HDX for certified aircraft!

On thing I will give to sandell, compared to the others, at least on the HSI aspect, they offer the most finished product.

I wouldn't call anything that needs a projector bulb in a cockpit a "finished product" in 2017. Old product maybe.

Im talking about what on the screen, not behind it.

Besides, that bulb hasn't been a issue for me

There are a lot of comparisons without factoring in labor costs.

I'm currently pricing out the following avionics package for my skyhawk

Aspen PFD Pro w/ Synthetic Vision ($9895)
G430W ($7295)
G340 Audio panel ($995)
GTX330ES (ADS-B out) ($2195)
Stec 30 Autopilot w/ Alt Hold ($13275)
FS 450 fuel flow transmitter ($585)
406 ELT ($499)
Stratus2 hard wired for external antenna and power (ADS-B in) ($899 + $150)

Biggest single labor item was the autopilot (50 hours)

roughly $35,000 of avionics
roughly $25,000 of labor ($100/hr)

Now with Dynon's announcement, that throws in a wrench…. I really liked the combination above and a lot of folks love the S-tec 30/Aspen config, but back to the drawing board!

Aspen PFD Pro w/ Synthetic Vision ($9895)
G430W ($7295)
G340 Audio panel ($995)
GTX330ES (ADS-B out) ($2195)
Stec 30 Autopilot w/ Alt Hold ($13275)
FS 450 fuel flow transmitter ($585)
406 ELT ($499)
Stratus2 hard wired for external antenna and power (ADS-B in) ($899 + $150)

Biggest single labor item was the autopilot (50 hours)

roughly $35,000 of avionics
roughly $25,000 of labor ($100/hr)

Now with Dynon's announcement, that throws in a wrench…. I really liked the combination above and a lot of folks love the S-tec 30/Aspen config, but back to the drawing board!

Ditch the Aspen for a pair of G5s and the S-TEC 30 for the G500 and you'll save easily $10,000.

Or, wait for the Dynon, save twice as much and have a really nice panel.

Aspen needs to respond, and quickly, or they're going to be dead. They're suddenly facing some stiff competition, and as others have noted, they seem to be in denial.

I'm not sure I could stomach spending 70% the value of my aircraft for a <20% value increase all said and done.

I heard that. If those rich people would stop buying these things at those prices, they'd come down for us poor folks.

Ditch the Aspen for a pair of G5s and the S-TEC 30 for the G500 and you'll save easily $10,000.

Or, wait for the Dynon, save twice as much and have a really nice panel.

Aspen needs to respond, and quickly, or they're going to be dead. They're suddenly facing some stiff competition, and as others have noted, they seem to be in denial.

How do dual G5's and a G500 autopilot or Dynon compare to an Aspen PFD w/ Stec 30? Like I said before, its not so much about the unit costs, the labor is the big deal. If I'm already tearing the entire panel out with 100's hours of labor, I don't mind spending an extra 10k on hardware, IF it adds utility.

AND I say utility, not value. No one buys avionics to add value.

Last edited:
Back