DPE Reviews website

PeterNSteinmetz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
New site with reviews of DPEs from around the web - http://dpereviews.org

"FAA Designated Pilot Examiners (DPEs) serve an important role for the aviation community by examining applicants for pilot certificates when FAA employed examiners are not available. While the FAA strives to ensure consistency across examinations, there are variations between examiners in terms of their personalities, methods of examination, and emphasis on examination tasks. Additionally, there are reported substantial variations in the quality of the examination provided.

Since a DPE is trusted by pilots to provide fair and reasonable exams, it is important that pilots invest this trust in DPEs known to be fair and objective. To help pilots make an informed decision, this site provides applicant reviews of DPEs which have been gathered from across the internet."

Nobody knows those FSDO region codes. When you get around to fixing the button/form field vertical alignment, you might consider changing the FSDO lookup to a dropdown list with the FSDOs prepopped (like Region - City, State as values within?)

I remember some controversy over a dpe review site a few years ago but I don't recall what happened to it. It got pooft IIRC.

I remember some controversy over a dpe review site a few years ago but I don't recall what happened to it. It got pooft IIRC.
It did. Given all FAA Designees have an FAA assigned mentor, that rating, by association, will be extended to that FAA ASI mentor. As far as I know rating public employees never gets too far.

It's missing several DPEs that I know of. Where is it getting its data? I assume from the main FAA DPE search tool.

The web designer needs to be reminded that many folks use phones to access web content.

The UI doesn’t reflow the page correctly for my iPhone.

Unable to see what the purple boxes say when phone is held upright. Bailey see it when in landscape.

upload_2021-10-7_20-56-12.png

Is there a provision for reviewers to remain anonymous?

If so, it seems like the site could be abused by anyone with a grudge.

If not, anyone who wrote a negative review could be vulnerable to some kind of retaliation.

The way the internet is used to smear people these days, if I was a DPE, I would NOT want my name on that list no matter what. Honestly, I think the whole website is a bad idea. If you are really plugged in to your local aviation, reputation gets around anyway.

I saw my DEP on there and he had 1 review and in a nutshell said don't go to him, steer clear. I'm guessing the person failed their checkride. So why wouldn't you write a bad review and blame someone else for your deficiencies... it's the 21st century after all!

This particular DPE is known to be 'tough'... but to me that was a good thing. I prepared, prepared some more, then prepared a little more after that. My orals and checkride went fantastic. He said I flew to commercial standards (PPL Checkride), had plenty of things he shared in the debrief to think about and continue working.

Needs some actual reviews. DPE I use isn't even listed. All others I checked said 0 reviews.

Yep. I know two DPEs not listed. It's obviously a work in progress.

..and how new of a site? I see one review from 2016.
If you click FSDO with info blank you get a list. I found these:

[Deleted by ADMIN on request of the DPE. The DPE was able to prove that this negative review has been published through a fake account.]

LOL!
I will NEVER get in an airplane with %*(%$ A^%$ again! He didn't say or do anything but I felt very uncomfortable in the plane with him.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not a very well-formatted website. Can’t seem to use it with an iPhone

The web designer needs to be reminded that many folks use phones to access web content.

The UI doesn’t reflow the page correctly for my iPhone.

Unable to see what the purple boxes say when phone is held upright. Bailey see it when in landscape.

View attachment 100755
How many Aggies does it take to operate a tablet?

Unfortunately not a very well-formatted website. Can’t seem to use it with an iPhone

The search fields are
By Address
By FSDO
By Name
I put a state for the address and it will give a list. But ya its poor, different number of results between CA and California.

I saw my DEP on there and he had 1 review and in a nutshell said don't go to him, steer clear. I'm guessing the person failed their checkride. So why wouldn't you write a bad review and blame someone else for your deficiencies... it's the 21st century after all!

This particular DPE is known to be 'tough'... but to me that was a good thing. I prepared, prepared some more, then prepared a little more after that. My orals and checkride went fantastic. He said I flew to commercial standards (PPL Checkride), had plenty of things he shared in the debrief to think about and continue working.
You should write your own review. Hopefully people take one-sentence negative reviews with a big grain of salt.

You should write your own review. Hopefully people take one-sentence negative reviews with a big grain of salt.
I was going to, but the site doesn't seem to have a place for that, so I guess it comes from another source. Do you have a link for that source?

Back