A parallel issue I've discussed with DPEs is that they can't use "bad weather" days to do the oral portion of a checkride. There's no starting the checkride unless the weather forecast is good enough to allow it to be completed. We've squinted real hard at weather forecasts to support a go decision, but several days of IFR/LIFR, and even some MVFR, forces a reschedule to later in an already-packed calendar.
I'd really like to use the existing Discontinuance process to allow the ground portion of checkrides when the weather is poor, and use the good days for the flying portion. We would get an increase in test capacity from a simple tweak to the policy. I understand the concerns to changing the current approach, but the DPEs that I have a good working relationship with aren't the type to abuse this level of flexibility. (I feel the same can be said about many of the other DPEs that I've met in the past, too.)