Do you write frequencies as you go?

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
I'm in the habit of writing down frequencies as I go. I wasn't intentionally taught this but it helps me not enter the wrong frequency on a handoff.

Yep. Helps on the way back, too.

I don't because repeating the frequency commits the numbers to memory long enough to get them in the radio too, but it certainly seems like a good practice.

As soon as approach calls my numbers, my hand goes the frequency box ready to change the frequency so I really don't need to write it down.

Yes... I have a spot on my knee board that I keep a running log of my freqs. More than once I have copied the wrong frequency and the log helps me go back where I was.

I fly the same routes many times, so when I'm going back, I usually have the next freq in standby too! Just a tiny bit of crm.

Ditto on the "way back" thoughts. Very helpful to have in memory ready to go. What's the harm? Too cool to copy down? Your not old enough to see the fallacy in that program. .:no:

Last edited:
No, not really. It would have served me a few times, but with flip flop radios, it's not much of a problem to pop back if I screw it up.

Yes....always.
I have gotten in the habit while flying different planes that either have old king radios or only one working radio with no flip flop so if I don't get on frequency then I have something to get back to.

Plus I have a bit of dyslexia so it helps when I read back what I just wrote down before I even touch the radio kind of like a second check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Without flip flop radios, it's a very good idea. With flip flop, it comes down to how good your memory is. I always teach students to write down the frequencies on their flight log.

Used to. But first time I flew as an SIC the captain made it pretty clear that's
not how pros do it. When not writing down becomes your norm, you don't forget them.

I used to when I hand flew with pencil and paper, p&p being the key I think.

Now with AP and ForeFlight scratch pad, it goes from short term memory directly into radio. Maybe the AP is the key. Maybe the manipulation required to get to the scratch pad is the obstacle. Learning to restate the freq so I can remember it for 5 secs is the enabler.

So, no, not any longer.

Yup....I write & say out loud just about everything....or I'll forget. :D

Last edited:
As soon as approach calls my numbers, my hand goes the frequency box ready to change the frequency so I really don't need to write it down.

Same. And the old freq is in stand by so if i dont connect i just flip-flop back over

Not anymore.

With flip flop radios I still have my last freq anyway.

Don't bother with the 1, just a pointless diget to remember. 135.25, just think 35.25, obvious I know.

I write down the freq and abbreviate the name for the readback. Then I punch it in and flip it over. Heading home, I've been unable to get a Departure response to open my flight plan (the grass strip at the beach is untowered). Ten minutes and four unanswered attempts later, I looked at my inbound scribbles and called one of the others who was glad to open my flight plan before I entered the clouds.

I write down squawk, frequencies, altitude assignments and heading assignments. Just a layer of redundancy for me especially when I am in a high workload situation or busy airspace.

Pretty much any time I am talking to ATC I have my knee board on and pen ready.

Not anymore.

With flip flop radios I still have my last freq anyway.

Don't bother with the 1, just a pointless diget to remember. 135.25, just think 35.25, obvious I know.

Yup, I am the same way. Takes too much time to repeat the number, write it down and put it in the radio. Sounds really cool to repeat 135 decimal 25, but that just takes up too much radio time.

I am an uber nerd.
I have custom note pads made like the one below.

I scribble everything they tell me. Professional or not, I know I am the guy that shakes your hand and forgets your name a split second later. This is what works for me.

Everyone is different but after a flight, I have the page loaded w/ scribbles.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150727_134901_resized_2.jpg
    20150727_134901_resized_2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 409
I write them down because I'm probably coming back, and that way I can have them all in ahead of time.

I write them down as well as other things. It has been very helpful to have them on paper.

Along with the frequencies I also jot down WHO to talk to. I do a lot of long XC's with a gazillion handoffs and often think "who the heck am I talking to now".

Along with the frequencies I also jot down WHO to talk to. I do a lot of long XC's with a gazillion handoffs and often think "who the heck am I talking to now".

Does it matter? I've not understood a approach name, when I switch I just used the generic "approach, ....", they respond just fine.

Yes... I have a spot on my knee board that I keep a running log of my freqs. More than once I have copied the wrong frequency and the log helps me go back where I was.

I fly the same routes many times, so when I'm going back, I usually have the next freq in standby too! Just a tiny bit of crm.

<<<THIS>>>

Only write them down if I don't have radios with stand by freq.

The older I get ......the more I write!!!

Freq and altitude changes and headings on my paper knee-pad. Always have the knee-pad there anyway and I just use a plain blank piece of paper. does not take much time and that way I have something to look at if I don't get it right.

I always write them down, even when I'm pretty sure I know what frequency they are going to assign next (I may or may not have already entered the anticipated frequency in my radio standby freq).

I've not written them down since I got my new radios. Frankly, there's not any advantage to doing so. My radios have not only a flip flop (which is more than is necessary) but another ten memories or so on the recently used frequencies.

Departing VFR out of IAD I don't even copy the clearance either. Just dial in the departure frequency and squawk.

Does it matter? I've not understood a approach name, when I switch I just used the generic "approach, ....", they respond just fine.

Yes...in addition to approach there are also these pesky controllers called "Center"...I will often transition through 4 different approach names and two different center names...then several handoffs within each of those.

You call center approach and you look like an unprepared idiot.

On flights out of the area I typically note who I'm handed off to and the frequency after I chug and plug it on the 530W.

It serves two fold for me, a reference for frequencies on the way home and it helps when I write my blog. I'll also make notes when given directions by ATC.

Attachments

• knee board notes.JPG
    knee board notes.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 49
I've never worried about who it is... If they say contact XXX approach, center, - I just contact - approach 123GE level 12000 - end of story

I never write them down.. I always enter the hand off frequency into the standby side as they give it to me and then read it back off the radio to them.. I fly the same routes as well.. I am given different frequencies at times so I never anticipate any certain frequencies. (different altitudes, slightly different heading, amount of traffic, heading, ect all play rolls in what they want to give me)

God forbid you people have a power outtage....and have to go to the handheld.:eek:

God forbid you people have a power outtage....and have to go to the handheld.:eek:

I am pretty sure I would keep my location awareness and be able to find a freq on the chart that works... and in the meantime while your head is buried in your lap writing down a frequency..... TRAFFIC !@!@$!!

I can see when there is a need to write down bits of info, such as a clearance or something that involves 3 or 4 bits of vital pieces of info.. I could see where if you only had 1 radio without a standby it would be nice to have it jotted down somewhere as well..

let the arguments begin! :goofy: lol

Back