Do you write frequencies as you go?

I mostly don't write them down. I repeat it and then key it in.

Don't fly anymore but when I did, I didn't write down frequencies as I went. I wrote them down before I went and had the next one ready in the standby window of the flip-flop when it was called for.

I jot down lots on my kneeboard. It's the way I was taught -- my instructors were almost exclusively ex-military.

I record freqs, CRAFT, ATIS/AWOS, fuel tank transitions, fuel on each side at that transition, etc. It helps me with post-flight self debriefing -- to learn from my mistakes, what worked especially well, record data into my, gasp, paper logbook.

We all debrief ourselves after each flight, right?

About the only thing I write down is the original clearance or a route amendment.

Past that, any heading, freq or altitude goes straight to the avionics.

I normally do, so I have a good record of the freq's when I go back the way I came. I'll normally use channel 1 and channel 2 of the radio, and swap back and forth, so I at least always have the previous freq ready to go in case I punch in the wrong one or I get no response. But I do like to have them written down too.

Not in the habit of doing it, but I should sometimes...

I always repeat back "Grey approach 34.5 good-day" or whatever the last three and center are.

I used to write them all down, made for a nice backtrack on a round trip. Then I got airplanes with flip-flop and stopped. About the only time I miss the written record is when, say, I launch out after a fuel stop looking for Flight Following, and the listed control frequency on WingX does not ring a bell as being the frequency I came in on. Even then it usually works out.

Back