Do you use Android or an IPhone?

Allison Riccardi

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Angelwings
Doing research for an App I am creating, thanks. Also what type of platform does POA use for this chat feature?

Android.
POA doesn't have chat enabled anymore. Not sure what your question is there.

This isn't an app. Its a website. The question is confusing.

Just Android is better than apple no matter what other people post after this post. That's all you need to know.

iPhone for two big reasons. WingX will run on my iPhone as a backup for my iPad running WingX when flying. The other is FaceTime. My daughter lives in Ireland and FaceTime works great for us to stay in touch and be able to see each other while talking.

By chat feature, I mean the way we are communicating now. Posts and threads would be a better way of putting it. Did POA write this coding themselves, or leasing it from a third party?

No, I do not use android or iphone.

I hate Apple and Steve Jobs, but I use the iPhone because it does what I need and want.

By chat feature, I mean the way we are communicating now. Posts and threads would be a better way of putting it. Did POA write this coding themselves, or leasing it from a third party?
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, it will tell you where the forum software comes from.

Before you start, have you answered these and many other questions:
1. who is the target audience? all the demographics including age, economic, interests, etc
2. do you expect to get rich with the app? or doing this for fun? or to learn how to build an app?
3. do you know how to build an app or just using one of the online services or utilities that I can guarantee Apple will reject the result? are you fluent in Swift, Objective C, and/or Java?
4. do you understand how to prototype? to beta test?
5. what software will you be using as the underlying db?
6. your original posting here is very confusing. do you understand how to write clear, unambiguous requirements? clear and unambiguous design?

If you don't understand the difference between an app and the web, you need to go learn. Are you a new grad from a software bootcamp?

Of course you're welcome to move to Denver and enroll at the local university where I teach and learn all this stuff.

Last edited:

Dang it... I was going to say "Yes" but I got beaten to the punch in answering the question literally.

To the intent of the question. I use the half-ass PDA that is also a ****ty phone - iPhone 5. If you need something done poorly, get a smart phone. They ain't very smart and they aren't very good phones. Throw in some crap network like AT&T and you've got the worst calling experience at the top price. [Departs the soapbox, feeling like Methuselah]

since the question is entirely too vague, my answer is both. I use android in the plane with garmin pilot, and iphone as backup. but that's pretty much all I use the android for. I use iphone on a daily basis because that is what work pays for. I use it and tapatalk to browse the forums, but I also use a pc for browsing as well as other stuff that rhymes with 'horn'.

since the question is entirely too vague, my answer is both. I use android in the plane with garmin pilot, and iphone as backup. but that's pretty much all I use the android for. I use iphone on a daily basis because that is what work pays for. I use it and tapatalk to browse the forums, but I also use a pc for browsing as well as other stuff that rhymes with 'horn'.

Odd. You should be using Garmin Pilot on an iPad. They are two versions ahead on the iPad versus Android.

sorry, I didn't read the rule book. I thought I could use 'whatever I wanted to use'. is the magenta line two versions ahead on the ipad?

Garmin Pilot version on Android is 6.0.2 on iPad is 8.7.1. Maybe lots of things are ahead test it for yourself and see.

Android here, 1 phone, 2 tablets

Make sure your app, whatever it is, works before releasing it... we're required to use an app at work to track a number of things except it hardly ever works. It looks like crap, it's slow, doesn't save or sync, and the design is horrible....pretty sure someone's kid did it as School project.

I use an iPhone 4S. Stores phone numbers, and use it for texting. Oh, and I even make phone calls with it. :eek:

It came out of the factory thinking it is a "smart" phone; smarter than the person using it most days. I don't dare upgrade to a newer model that thinks it is smarter still. And, no, I have never felt the need to update the Apple iOS on it, works just fine with the one it came with (well, sort of fine...) ;)

Last edited:
Garmin Pilot version on Android is 6.0.2 on iPad is 8.7.1. Maybe lots of things are ahead test it for yourself and see.

Are you assuming they launched products for both OS's at the same time? I don't think they did.

It could be they were in version 3 of iJunk when they launched version 1 of the Androcrap.

Also, the OS's don't change in lockstep... more reason that the versioning need not change in lockstep.

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Android on my phone and tablets.
Linux Mint 18 on my computers.
VM\CMS, CP/X86, Win XP, Win 7, Warp 4, and DOS 7 in VirtualBox.

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Android on my phone and tablets.
Linux Mint 18 on my computers.
VM\CMS, CP/X86, Win XP, Win 7, Warp 4, and DOS 7 in VirtualBox.

You can keep all that stuff running, and still have time to fly?? Impressive!!

Before you start, have you answered these and many other questions:
1. who is the target audience? all the demographics including age, economic, interests, etc
2. do you expect to get rich with the app? or doing this for fun? or to learn how to build an app?
3. do you know how to build an app or just using one of the online services or utilities that I can guarantee Apple will reject the result? are you fluent in Swift, Objective C, and/or Java?
4. do you understand how to prototype? to beta test?
5. what software will you be using as the underlying db?
6. your original posting here is very confusing. do you understand how to write clear, unambiguous requirements? clear and unambiguous design?

If you don't understand the difference between an app and the web, you need to go learn. Are you a new grad from a software bootcamp?

Of course you're welcome to move to Denver and enroll at the local university where I teach and le
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, it will tell you where the forum software comes from.
@murphey, you are not being fair. You are expecting a awful lot from someone who had to be told to scroll down on the page to see who produces the forum software (you know, the place on the page where that kind of information is almost universally located?). :D

Classified info for now. I want to get it copyrighted before I share.

The answers to my questions do not depend on copyright or NDAs. They are questions to understand if you understand what's involved. At no time did I ask for domain or functional specifics.

Let us continue the questioning....
a. Do you have sufficient domain knowledge?
b. Do you understand that actual code is the last thing you do?
c. What development tools (IDEs, wireframes, etc) are you using?
d. Are you using the MVC approach?
e. Do you understand if you can't/won't answer these questions then we question your ability to succeed with the project.

Understand that many of us here have been doing software development professionally for (mumble mumble) [years?...decades?] and are intimately familiar with what's involved with creating an app, regardless of the platform.

And by the way, the term "classified" only relates to Federal Goverment security classifications by the various Departments, e.g. Dept of Defense.

Last edited:
Are you assuming they launched products for both OS's at the same time? I don't think they did.
It could be they were in version 3 of iJunk when they launched version 1 of the Androcrap.
Also, the OS's don't change in lockstep... more reason that the versioning need not change in lockstep.

I assume nothing. I have tested both versions within the last two months. The Android on a Samsung tablet. The Apple version on an iPad Air. Once you do that you see quickly they are nearly completely different products. The Android version is crude, buggy and lacks features found on the more current and robust iPad version. You have a simple choice. Pay the same and put up with the less capable and unstable version or buy an iPad and don't look back.

iPhone and I don't care about software anymore after dealing with it for 30 years in avionics in DoD airborne platforms.

Cheers

iPhone and I don't care about software anymore after dealing with it for 30 years in avionics in DoD airborne platforms.

Cheers
Funny how decades inside the sausage factory reduces one's appetite for sausage, isn't it?

I assume nothing. I have tested both versions within the last two months. The Android on a Samsung tablet. The Apple version on an iPad Air. Once you do that you see quickly they are nearly completely different products. The Android version is crude, buggy and lacks features found on the more current and robust iPad version. You have a simple choice. Pay the same and put up with the less capable and unstable version or buy an iPad and don't look back.
Wow.

I miss my blackberry with the little scroll ball that was incompatible with the grease that was inevitably imparted after tinkering with car/truck/motorcycle.

Any chance of supporting that device? I think I still have it, and a few spare batteries... And I think I remember how to pry the ball out to clean it with an alcohol wipe...

Serious answer, I own an Android personal phone, personal iPad, work iPhone, work ipad and a work tough book. So all of the above.

I prefer Android.

One reason, and the primary reason, is which platform the software was initially built for. Once upon a time, you could move applications between operating systems (e.g. Word on both the Mac and Wintel) because the guts were writting in C/C++ and the only changes needed were for the front-end, which again were written in C/C++ but with different vendor libraries for the windowing environment.

With tablets and phones, Apple went with Objective C then to Swift where Android/Google went with Java. The assumption was that there were more Java programmers than ObjC, which is probably true. But for the first X years, iPhone/iPad was the only game in town, with Android playing catchup. It's difficult to migrate Swift to Java, even more difficult to migrate code using the iOS libraries to Android libraries.

As a programmer, I prefer the Android because it's Java, and I'm much better at Java than Swift. I've got the Swift docs, that's my entire knowledge of it. Don't think I've read them yet. But then, I don't develop apps, I design & build other types of software. Altho I'm very good at app design, just not interested in the actual programming. There's too many kids around that love doing that part.

I would guess that this is the #1 reason ForeFlight is still iOS only. Altho, WingX does have an Android version, I just haven't used it, nor seen it other than at Airventure.

Sorry, I know, the college faculty in me is surfacing again. Which brings up another platform...is there any aviation software for the Surface? I should go back to the real world. Which I did last year, or as I refer to it "My Year of Being Miserable for an Obscene Amount of Money".

You can keep all that stuff running, and still have time to fly?? Impressive!!
It's the reason I'm NOT FLYING TODAY.
@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#!!! (Expetives deleted.)
It's all wonderful, when it's working. When it's not, it's really, REALLY broken.

One reason, and the primary reason, is which platform the software was initially built for. Once upon a time, you could move applications between operating systems (e.g. Word on both the Mac and Wintel) because the guts were writting in C/C++ and the only changes needed were for the front-end, which again were written in C/C++ but with different vendor libraries for the windowing environment.

With tablets and phones, Apple went with Objective C then to Swift where Android/Google went with Java. The assumption was that there were more Java programmers than ObjC, which is probably true. But for the first X years, iPhone/iPad was the only game in town, with Android playing catchup. It's difficult to migrate Swift to Java, even more difficult to migrate code using the iOS libraries to Android libraries.

As a programmer, I prefer the Android because it's Java, and I'm much better at Java than Swift. I've got the Swift docs, that's my entire knowledge of it. Don't think I've read them yet. But then, I don't develop apps, I design & build other types of software. Altho I'm very good at app design, just not interested in the actual programming. There's too many kids around that love doing that part.

I would guess that this is the #1 reason ForeFlight is still iOS only. Altho, WingX does have an Android version, I just haven't used it, nor seen it other than at Airventure.

Sorry, I know, the college faculty in me is surfacing again. Which brings up another platform...is there any aviation software for the Surface? I should go back to the real world. Which I did last year, or as I refer to it "My Year of Being Miserable for an Obscene Amount of Money".
FltPlan Go! has a Win10 version.

If Garmin Pilot's Android version is 2 behind, WingX's is 8 behind. Pretty much a moving map with very basic features. I use an Android tablet for backup and, while WingX is there, it's not my primary backup.

Apple. More out of habit than anything. Not impressed with where they're headed since Jobs kicked the bucket.

Probably stay Apple on tablet because aviation stuff is better there.

When iPhones die, move those to Android.

Android.
POA doesn't have chat enabled anymore. Not sure what your question is there.

This isn't an app. Its a website. The question is confusing.

Just Android is better than apple no matter what other people post after this post. That's all you need to know.
Android is as clunky as Windows. And I'm not an Apple fanboy (the 36 month self destruct timer just zeroed this week on my perfectly functioning iPhone 5 ...)

Back