Do you use Android or an IPhone?

Personally for flying my iPad Mini is primary with Garmin Pilot. Backup is an Android tablet with Garmin Pilot. Backup to that is my Android Phone with Garmin Pilot. Backup to those is FltPlan go on the same 3 devices. I used to use my own charts on OruxMaps as a worst case backup, but I gave up on that a while ago.

I work in computers, the last thing I'd do is back up device A with something from the same vendor running the same software. In this case the fact that Garmin Pilot is totally different on Android makes me more comfortable with it as a backup(but it doesn't really have enough features for what I want as primary right now).

Edit: and since I missed the main question, I use a fancy thing called a "computer" with a "web browser" for this site.

Last edited:
Android is as clunky as Windows. And I'm not an Apple fanboy (the 36 month self destruct timer just zeroed this week on my perfectly functioning iPhone 5 ...)
Really? my iphone 5 is just fine.

Work just upgraded my i4 to an i7. The old one worked, most of the time, but was getting erratic. The last straw was not receiving any texts from my boss on a trip to Europe, even though we had set both phones up to work there.

I have an iPhone 7, but only because I get the phone and service for free. If I had to pay, I'd probably have an android. My girlfriend has an Android, and it seems like a nice phone.

Personally for flying my iPad Mini is primary with Garmin Pilot. Backup is an Android tablet with Garmin Pilot. Backup to that is my Android Phone with Garmin Pilot. Backup to those is FltPlan go on the same 3 devices. I used to use my own charts on OruxMaps as a worst case backup, but I gave up on that a while ago.

I work in computers, the last thing I'd do is back up device A with something from the same vendor running the same software. In this case the fact that Garmin Pilot is totally different on Android makes me more comfortable with it as a backup(but it doesn't really have enough features for what I want as primary right now).
I do pretty much the same as you. Android phone. For flight, iPad primary tablet; Android backup tablet. Combination of apps though; CFI freebies let me play at very low or no cost.

Man, I can't get that Elvis Costello song out of my head now.

iPad & iPhone, altho I prefer paper in the airplane and POTS at home.

For the record, I hate all things Apple, as I've always disliked their entire philosophy.

That being said, I use an iPhone and an iPad. I've used pretty much everything, including Android phones. But the battery life of the iPhone 6, and the fact that you can't use FF on Android devices brought me back to the iPhone.

I still hate Apple, but the quality of the iPhone and iPad just beat the products running Android OS, hands down, in my experience.

So was mine until it wasn't. The cellular connection stopped working, SIM replaced, no joy. Everything else was fine.

Last edited:
So was mine until it wasn't. The cellular connection stopped working, SIM replaced, no joy. Everything else was fine.

You are obviously using a smart phone. Your quote was written by @murphey but ascribed to me.

I'm a reluctant user of the crap that is iPhone. My iPhone doesn't work "fine" It's a steaming piece of ****. And ATT&T has equal quality. These opinions contribute to my no tablet in the cockpit mantra.

But don't sweat it. The use of quoting on this form generates errant attributions often.

You are obviously using a smart phone. Your quote was written by @murphey but ascribed to me.

I'm a reluctant user of the crap that is iPhone. My iPhone doesn't work "fine" It's a steaming piece of ****. And ATT&T has equal quality. These opinions contribute to my no tablet in the cockpit mantra.

But don't sweat it. The use of quoting on this form generates errant attributions often.
iPad at that time. Fat fingers plus the Quote and Reply buttons only a fraction of an inch apart. This forum sw is worth what I pay for it.

I hate Apple and Steve Jobs, but I use the iPhone because it does what I need and want.
You are not alone, there are millions out there with the same feelings. :)
Though due to necessity, I use iPad with certain aviation apps.
But I cannot decide whether I hate crApple hell more than Google who stole Android for its spying purposes and to turn it into an ad content delivery platform. (I am sure somebody will throw in the WinX virus soon :) )

So to the OP, "yes". I use crApple or Android. Hope this helps. (you should have made this a poll to get better data)

Android for personal cell and tablet, iPhone 5 work-provided. I'd switch to Android for the work cell, too, if I had the choice. I just don't like the lack of customization on the iProducts compared to Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone 7, but only because I get the phone and service for free. If I had to pay, I'd probably have an android. My girlfriend has an Android, and it seems like a nice phone.

I switched to Android because I sold my iPhone 4s to have the money for the new iPhone 5 coming out, and I borrowed a friend's Android he wasn't using in the meantime and found I liked it a lot better. Also a factor was at the time I wanted a bigger screen and when the 5 was the same size, it really ticked me off. That combined with the customization of the Android, I switched and have never looked back.

Back