Do you need to listen to station identifier if PFD (e.g. Aspen) identifies it ?

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
Suppose you set up for an ILS, tune the ILS frequency and the PFD shows the identifier corresponding to the ILS. Do you still need to listen to the identifier to verify the ILS is working ? How does the PFD (e.g. the Aspen) know the identifier of the station you've tuned ?

Thoughts ?

I don't know abou the Aspen, but all the stuff I've flown identifies the DME, not the VOR/LOC.

I don't know about the Aspen either, but the SL30 has a Morse decoder.

To the best of my knowledge the Aspen doesn't display an identifier.

The Aspen takes data from the nav receiver so that would be the source of the ID. I have an SL-30 and it does display the ID. I've never seen the ID on the Aspen.

O.k. so do you have to listen to identifier for a VOR you are using for approach or is nav receiver identification adequate ?

To the best of my knowledge the Aspen doesn't display an identifier.

The Aspen takes data from the nav receiver so that would be the source of the ID. I have an SL-30 and it does display the ID. I've never seen the ID on the Aspen.
So you would need to still audibly identify the LOC or if you have a fancy receiver, see if the correct identifier is shown?

Edit: I see I replied too slowly.

So you would need to still audibly identify the LOC or if you have a fancy receiver, see if the correct identifier is shown?

Edit: I see I replied too slowly.
To the best of my knowledge, yes. I'll check for updated software from Aspen but this one strikes me as unlikely. Using a GPS and having it programmed for the approach with auto-switching enabled makes the ID obvious on the map display. You do have to remember to load the localizer freq...if the green arrows don't light up, something is wrong (not that it has happened to me yet but I can see that it could).

edit: The user's guide give this: http://pages.aspenavionics.com/rs/0...FD Pilots Guide for Web 2.8.2 public site.pdf

page 2-28 if the link doesn't take you to the page. I suppose you could call that identified.

Last edited:
I believe it depends on what is passing the information to the Aspen rather than the Aspen itself.

Sooner or later everything fails. When things that are supposed to be foolproof fail its always a great source of curiosity too.

Sometimes when you do things that could kill you if they go badly, like flying in IMC, you may want to just take personal responsibility for seeing things go right.

Always your call though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The book answer is no. If the system identifies the station then you are legal--no audible ident is required.

Whether that's prudent and best practices are a different issue. FWIW I got my rating behind a G1000 via the Cessna/King course and SOP is to let the system ident it and not to listen unless there was some kind of issue.

The book answer is no. If the system identifies the station then you are legal--no audible ident is required.

Whether that's prudent and best practices are a different issue. FWIW I got my rating behind a G1000 via the Cessna/King course and SOP is to let the system ident it and not to listen unless there was some kind of issue.

The first two sentences sum up the AIM on the issue.

FYI, station ident of nav aids is also a feature of the CNX80/GNS480.

Not sure how it does it, but after tuning to the frequency of a nearby VOR, the identifier will display after a few seconds.

But I also listen to the morse just to confirm.

db394de7b4d0e84d98d58498e8ddcfafd2af21fe9e8745b2c07abc3027351f85.jpg

If I'm trusting it to guide me to 200' off the deck, I'll take a quick listen anyway

If I know where I am and where the VOR is, I can tell just by checking bearing and distance. I sanity check GPS waypt as well.

Any reference to where aim says this?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
AIM 1-1-3, the discussion of VOR. Subparagraph c discusses identification and includes, "If your equipment automatically decodes the identifier, it is not necessary to listen to the audio identification."

Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a correct answer on the first page, congratulations! :)
I had a feeling that "no" was the right answer but did not have a reference to cite, thanks Mark.
And I agree with James, I'd listen too, even thought the GPS says it knows Morse code. ;)

Yep, I always listen, even though I have two nav/comms (CNX-80 and SL-30) that both decode VOR identifiers.

BTW, given the answer to your question (which I didn't know beforehand), that's probably why I didn't have to explain to my instrument DPE that I never refer to the chart when listening to an identifier because I know the code. Until now I wondered if he simply assumed that I knew it, or overlooked that fact.

Call me old school, I like to listen to the dash dots. It's like comfort food.

Call me old school, I like to listen to the dash dots. It's like comfort food.

Unfortunately none available for any of the (many) approaches I have flown over the last few years.

Back