Do you eat enroute?

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
On those long cross country's do y'all usually pack a lunch? If you do what do you pack?

I eat whatever. Or did. My last flight instructor pointed out the "what if you choke" scenario, and now I'm not so sure if I should.

Oh brother. What if you choke driving on Route 66 on your vacation??

I pack a snack, like goldfish or something salty. Helps with the pee breaks

I eat whatever. Or did. My last flight instructor pointed out the "what if you choke" scenario, and now I'm not so sure if I should.

No offense but that's one of th stupidest things I've ever heard :lol:
I eat half my meals on the road and never choked once, we ain't 2 year olds.

Oh brother. What if you choke driving on Route 66 on your vacation??

You pull over and hopefully someone helps you. If not, you throw yourself against the trunk to perform a self Heimlich.

Don't get me wrong, I eat while I fly. But the options are indeed far better on the ground.

Are you sure? When it comes to issues of "safety" here in the States, I'd swear we are 2 year olds.

Protein bars seem perfect and a bottle of water. One or two bars will get me through any distance flight I've done so far and I dare not drink more than a bottle of water unless I'm ready to take a potty break!

Even if I do pack a lunch, it isn't' like I can't go without eating for longer than I can go without a bathroom break. Except for water, I rarely eat in the air. But I usually do pack something like trail mix for emergencies.

I rarely fly long enough legs in a GA airplane to pack a lunch, but in the rare case that I do, it's usually something easy to eat one handed, like a sandwich. I tend to keep it pretty ordinary - lunch meat, lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo. Don't want to get too crazy and risk an upset stomach while flying! Cliff Bars are usually in my bag as a backup as well. I also try to drink lots and lots of water.

At work we're fed breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's not great, but not all that bad either. Similar (although not identical) to what gets served in first class.

Someone already hit the nail. 2 protein bars and one bottle of water. Florida to Illinois with one quick pee/fuel stop

Since I find the plane is faster when it's flying than when it's sitting still on the ground, we'll often pack a lunch and eat airborne. If you're not packing it yourself, Subway, Jimmy John's, or your favorite sandwich shop is usually a good bet. Go easy on the sauces to avoid messes, and use bottles for beverages so you can close them when necessary. And make sure if you have chips you open them before your cabin altitude gets high enough to open them for you with the accompanying bang!

Its better to stop, but Ive eaten a sandwich. I always drink water.

4hr+ legs in GA, hell yes I eat.
Sandwich, chips, crackers, trail mix, candy, burritos, soda, gatorade, water, etc.

Just be sure to bring an extra empty gatorafe bottle to refill as needed.

Just be sure to bring an extra empty gatorafe bottle to refill as needed.

Just don't put the lemon lime Gatorade next to your refillable bottle!

Or do, if you're recycle-conscious and such.

Snack crackers, beef jerky, water. Maybe some chips or something. I only do snacks. If I'm on a long cross country there's a good place to eat with my name on it at the end of the trip and I intend to enjoy it fully.

Are you sure? When it comes to issues of "safety" here in the States, I'd swear we are 2 year olds.
No, the people to whom we have abdicated our freedoms and responsibilities treat us like 2 year olds.

On those long cross country's do y'all usually pack a lunch? If you do what do you pack?

Remember, what goes in has to come out. Unless you want to land just to take a dump you may want to forgo the snacks till close to a fuel stop.

A softsided cooler with ice pack and water bottle(s). And some homemade chocolate chip cookies. THAT made for a nice XC snack.

Long cross country, sure I take food. Usually a sandwich of some sort but sometimes more or sometimes less. Frankly it's a good use of time on flights away from busy airspace. Coffee cup management can be a bother sometimes.

Wife and I cross country, yes always....egg salad or pimento cheese...rarely if ever eat either one otherwise...no clue why, but its what we do....maybe less of a choking hazard...

Wife and I cross country, yes always....egg salad or pimento cheese...rarely if ever eat either one otherwise...no clue why, but its what we do....maybe less of a choking hazard...

Damn, I'll bet that cabin smells nice end of flight.

I'm pretty new to all of this, but I always bring a granola/protein bar and a bottle of water. Keeping hydrated and blood sugar where it should be is part of being alert, IMHO. Although my longest flight so far is just about 3hrs, so what do I really know :)

Flown a few long cross country trips over the 20+ years I have been flying. 34 flight hours Juneau, AK to Chicago. One 12oz bottle of water, 2 candy bars and an apple for the day. Steak and beer after the last flight of the day. Funny but the steak in Canada tastes different to me.....:)

I'm pretty new to all of this, but I always bring a granola/protein bar and a bottle of water. Keeping hydrated and blood sugar where it should be is part of being alert, IMHO. Although my longest flight so far is just about 3hrs, so what do I really know :)
Thats about what I do....but I don't usually go anywhere.

I'm not opposed to the idea of packing a lunch along, but I do not eat in the plane, nor do I eat in the car. Period.

I'm not opposed to the idea of packing a lunch along, but I do not eat in the plane, nor do I eat in the car. Period.
I have the same rules except if it's a rental car then all bets are off.

I do quite a bit of 250nm treks and more than once I grabbed a light dinner/lunch on the way to the airport and chowed down on the way home once straight and level and could kick on the AP while VFR, but do I not pack meals on a regular occurrence. I will however always pack some light snacks if I am gonna be in the plane for 1.5 hours or longer.

On my coast to coast trip, we generally stopped for food when we needed a gas or pee stop but we packed a cooler with some snacks, fruit and PB&J fixins...that came in handy and prevented us from having to stop where we might have without food in the plane and allowed us to just fuel up and launch right away.

With any food in the plane...make sure you have some sort of garbage bag!

If that is one of the stupidest things you ever heard (or read) you haven't been paying attention. Heck, it doesn't even qualify for that status for POA for any given day. :cool:

I don't usually eat anything on flights less than two hours long. For longer flights I may take something like apples or bananas for snacks. I especially try to avoid any food items that would make a mess like crumbs in the airplane. I always take either Gatoraid or water with me to drink on every flight. I keep packs of Gatoraid on the upper shelf of my hangar workbench so I always have some handy.

I have had everything from donuts to Chinese food while flying.

I once made a special trip to Red Dog mine in Alaska to deliver Christmas gifts from employees families. The mess hall gave me a large Styrofoam container full of sushi rolls in appreciation. I ate a third of them on the flight back, and the rest at the airport. Yummie..!!!

Whenever I got a chance to eat at the mess hall at Red Dog mine, I took it.

Whenever something goes in, something comes out...

I try to keep it to light snacks (Nature Valley peanut or granola bars) and water. Anything heavy and an hour later, I'd be asking for a rapid descent at the nearest airport - lavatory optional.

I'm not keen on anything but water in the airplane. Sodas or juices just make me more thirsty. Plus water is easy to clean-up in case of turbulence, and evaporates without a trace.

Back