Delta Business Class

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
It has been a while since I have flown commercial, but since I can't take the Bo to Germany, I booked on Delta, but I have a few questions:

When I search for flights in Business class, it returns two selections (Delta One and Delta One-Flex).
Flex is almost three times as much but I can't find a description. Is the only difference that you can change your schedule?

Also, it seems that with the new seating pods, if you are traveling with a companion, you can't get two seats together with a window seat (in Business class). To sit together, you have to sit in the center isle. This is on both a 767-400 and a A330-300. Am I looking at the seating charts correctly? I'm not exactly sure how the "pods" are laid out.

It has been a while since I have flown commercial, but since I can't take the Bo to Germany, I booked on Delta, but I have a few questions:

When I search for flights in Business class, it returns two selections (Delta One and Delta One-Flex).
Flex is almost three times as much but I can't find a description. Is the only difference that you can change your schedule?

Also, it seems that with the new seating pods, if you are traveling with a companion, you can't get two seats together with a window seat (in Business class). To sit together, you have to sit in the center isle. This is on both a 767-400 and a A330-300. Am I looking at the seating charts correctly? I'm not exactly sure how the "pods" are laid out.
Take a look at the change fees and purchase restrictions on Delta One and -Flex. I believe the -Flex is a changeable/refundable fare. and the regular One is not. But look at the restrictions, they will be shoen.

On these planes, no, there are no two-seats-together by the window. If you want to sit in a common pod, you have to do it in the middle. The seats along the windows are singletons.

Delta One-Flex is for the limber folks who are allowed to get into a comfortable position when they are about to be screwed over by their horrid experience aboard a Delta flight.
What flight experience can top Delta's? Ill take them any day of the week.

My last four or so airline flights have been AA and well, I haven't been impressed.

Last edited:
I'll definitely take Delta over either AA or United, based on recent experiences. Nothing really terrible from any of them, Delta just does a better job with small details that make a crappy experience better.

What I'd actually like is to have Northwest back, especially when I was living in Memphis. You could go anywhere, and on a DC-10 at that!

It's 1-2-1 seating on those planes so you'll have to go in the middle section if you want to sit together.

To me, the experience is heavily dependent on the airplane. You're gonna get a different experience on an AA 787 than you will on a Delta MD-80, and so on.

Ultimately, it's like arguing about which is the better domestic light beer - it's all **** when you get down to it.

To me, the experience is heavily dependent on the airplane. You're gonna get a different experience on an AA 787 than you will on a Delta MD-80, and so on.

Ultimately, it's like arguing about which is the better domestic light beer - it's all **** when you get down to it.
True. That's why I posted the planes I am asking about (767-400 and A330-300).

As I look into it, it looks like even though the seats in the middle, which supposedly are "together", they seem to have a divider between them which will make traveling with a companion awkward. t Especially on the Airbus.

Maybe it would be better for one of the two to book a window seat and the other person to book a center seat on that side nearest their companion.

My last four or so airline flights have been AA and well, I haven't been impressed.
Here's a thought... try a non-US airline if you want customer service.

You get service with a smile, and friendlier (and much better looking) flight attendants than the old grumpy hags on the US carriers.

OP,
Flex is usually a ticket class. You pay more for the ability to change/cancel a ticket and take on free bags (maybe).

Take Lufthansa. You'll be on the 380 upper deck, nice and comfy.

Sounds to me like the OP wants one of them "whoopee" seats... or are they "mile high" seats...:dunno:

When we get to 10,000 make my bed and don't bother me until the warmed up chocolate chip cookies are ready.

Here's a thought... try a non-US airline if you want customer service.

You get service with a smile, and friendlier (and much better looking) flight attendants than the old grumpy hags on the US carriers.

OP,
Flex is usually a ticket class. You pay more for the ability to change/cancel a ticket and take on free bags (maybe).

Take Lufthansa. You'll be on the 380 upper deck, nice and comfy.
I hear those Asian airlines have a great track record.

My last three commercial flights have been on delta and it was horrid. I am not a tall or fat man(5'10 & 200lbs) and I felt like a sardine! I absolutely cannot stand to have strangers touching me and unless the person next to you is a 2 year old then you are smashed up together. The flights were consistently late and my checked bags were used for wheel chocks I think. Every time I fly there seems to be more "classes" to board? Super elite platinum members may now board, now platinum gold sky friends may board, now those who are left handed and had turkey for dinner may board, now those who have an amputated left foot may board but only those who are in rows 1-2, now we would like to board our escaped nazi dictator sky friends, in another minute we will board rows 2-3 but only if you have a brown parakeet service animal.
Other than that the plane made the trip.

I flew upper deck Delta One on the 744 to Shanghai middle of last year it was 1 and 1 up there, felt real private and nice, great product. you'll enjoy it. no matter how you sit you don't really share space with the other person, i would even venture to say one of you being in a window, and the other on the isle in the middle section is better than sitting in the 2 configuration in the middle.

My only experience with airlines are Delta and Northwest. Maybe in just lucky but I've only had like 1 lost bag.

Best if you get 1 left window and 1 right window. Togetherness is WAY over-rated on such a flight.

You're gonna get a different experience on an AA 787 than you will on a Delta MD-80...
787: Gently extend the pinkie as you sip champagne from a crystal flute.
MD-80: Use both hands when accepting a bag of stale peanuts from the FA whose arm is stained blue up to the elbow.

Nauga,
still scrubbing

Last year I earned gold status on Delta, so I fly a decent amount but not as much as some. Last year I also took an AA flight because it was about 100% more convenient than a Delta flight to the same place.. PHX->MCO (and back). Booked first class... airplane was FILTHY both times. FA's were not kind or accommodating. Only plus was the food was good. But the filthy airplanes were enough to make me say no way. Flew one or two trips on United and they were fine, nothing remarkable but their trip pairings don't usually match what I need so I tend to stick with Delta.

I've flown on Delta One across the pond and it's great. It's business class so don't expect Emirates First Class or anything crazy but the service is great, food is good and the seats/beds are comfortable.

In the last year I've been on DL's B717, MD80, MD90, B737 and B757 and A320 (and CRJ200 and 900 through Skywest and Endevour, respectively) Though the 757 is my favorite they were all just fine. One FA even gave my 81yr old grandmother a hug goodbye! I've had plenty of delays and mild schedule changes but it happens with any airline. So do crappy seat mates. But at least the airplanes are clean.

That was kind of a tangent. But moral of the story is, AA doesn't work for me. Delta is OK. United is fine when the schedule works for me. Basically they're all the same except AA (at least the former USAir planes) are disgusting.

Orthe three big domestic airlines, Delta has long been my favorite. Planes tend to be well maintained and crews they to be better than the others. On transatlantic flight, we were delayed leaving as maintenance worked on a minor issue - the captain came through the business class cabin, greeted each passenger, showed the route on a paper chart, and explained why we could make up time in the air. Very well done, and a level of service that I've not seen on the other airlines (at least not since I was a kid and DC6 planes were in airline service).

Although I have lots of miles on AA due to corporate contract and that led to me getting to know the Washington based crew on the IAD-LAX flights pretty well, since US Air took them over (and make no mistake tha US management is running the airline) the service, maintenance, and overall quality has gone down. There are some great crews still, but it feels more like US Air when you fly rather than AA. A definite degradation in my book. To the point that I'm just fine having given up my top tier status in the frequent flyer program.

But as usual, YMMV.

1. SWA for quick flights (1.5hrs or less) - FAs are always fun and helpful, seem to enjoy themselves, new 737s are nice.
2. United/Delta - more expensive but generally decent FAs, despite not being as fun as SWA. Regional jets are old and cramped (to be expected), larger aircraft are decent especially if you're in the economy plus section with better seats and more legroom. First class/business class seats are comfortable and service is excellent on both airlines, I don't consider one to be better than the other in any aspect. I have more status with United due to needing to go through Houston/Denver/ND more often, and their United Lounge is nice but I'm sure Delta's is just as nice.
3. AA - mostly older aircraft, FAs are generally unpleasant, have delayed my baggage 20% of the time I've flown with them. They are convenient out of Tulsa for number of flights due to TUL being an AA maintenance hub, but it's not even worth it to fly them. Small caveat, due to my distaste for them, I haven't flown AA in 5 or 6 years. It could be better, but I doubt it.

2. United/Delta - more expensive but generally decent FAs, despite not being as fun as SWA. Regional jets are old and cramped (to be expected), larger aircraft are decent especially if you're in the economy plus section with better seats and more legroom. First class/business class seats are comfortable and service is excellent on both airlines, I don't consider one to be better than the other in any aspect. I have more status with United due to needing to go through Houston/Denver/ND more often, and their United Lounge is nice but I'm sure Delta's is just as nice.

Regional jets are old? Most of the Delta Connection RJ's are younger than a significant chunk of the Delta mainline fleet

A buddy of mine calls Flex real first class, because you can change your ticket with no cost, the other he refers to as "fake first class" I always take the cheaper one. It has only bit me once, I was is Vegas and decided to leave a few hours early, called Delta and asked if they had business class available and could I change my ticket. "Sure, no problem" I get to the airport and yes I can change my ticket at no charge to a center coach seat!! :eek::eek: I hung out at the bar and kept my original seat and learned a valuable lesson! :D

I don't hear anyone Bitchen about riding the subway or metro bus, but gaawdam we love to whine about the airlines. I consider it a bus ride to work not a romantic aviation experience.

True. That's why I posted the planes I am asking about (767-400 and A330-300).

As I look into it, it looks like even though the seats in the middle, which supposedly are "together", they seem to have a divider between them which will make traveling with a companion awkward. t Especially on the Airbus.

Maybe it would be better for one of the two to book a window seat and the other person to book a center seat on that side nearest their companion.

Either one you'll be fine. I flew the 767 for Delta for a while; the center seats are still ok to carry on a conversation; as are the aisle, but depending on which configuration the 400 is in the aisle seat may not directly align with the center section. Same for the 330; I'd book the two middle seats on either one.

(oh, and thanks for your business! ;) )

Regional jets are old? Most of the Delta Connection RJ's are younger than a significant chunk of the Delta mainline fleet

Was mainly referring to the ERJ-145s and such with all of the ExpressJet group DBA United. The are small/cramped and generally don't get cleaned as well as their larger United brethren.

I usually ride UA. 1,000,000 miles +, so Premier Gold at a minimum for life. The key advantage UA has over any other domestic carrier is LEG ROOM. E+ seating beats the competition. Delta is at the bottom of my list. I've ridden them (in cattle car) off and on for the past 40 years and have NEVER had adequate legroom. Sardine cans in the air. ANA is on my list of "never ride in coach again" airlines for the same reason. LH is hit or miss. They used to always lack legroom in coach, but I had a trip a few years ago where they had it, on all legs I road them. Surprised the heck out of me. I'm 6'2" and legroom is important to me. Especially on a trans-con or international trip.

Now, if I could afford business class or first class...

But I've only been married for 27 years!

I've been married 27 years too. One of the reasons is my wife and I think it best to take separate airliners. ;)

I usually ride UA. 1,000,000 miles +, so Premier Gold at a minimum for life. The key advantage UA has over any other domestic carrier is LEG ROOM. E+ seating beats the competition. Delta is at the bottom of my list. I've ridden them (in cattle car) off and on for the past 40 years and have NEVER had adequate legroom. Sardine cans in the air. ANA is on my list of "never ride in coach again" airlines for the same reason. LH is hit or miss. They used to always lack legroom in coach, but I had a trip a few years ago where they had it, on all legs I road them. Surprised the heck out of me. I'm 6'2" and legroom is important to me. Especially on a trans-con or international trip.

Now, if I could afford business class or first class...

I just flew UA back from Houston yesterday. 4 hr 20 min flight. Jammed in the seat so damn tight on one of their newish B737s (800 or 900, not sure which) that the gal in front could not recline her seat because my knees were tight up against her seat back. With every newly delivered plane they seem to reduce the seat pitch just a little more.

I don't hear anyone Bitchen about riding the subway or metro bus, but gaawdam we love to whine about the airlines. I consider it a bus ride to work not a romantic aviation experience.

Just the wrong forum, I see plenty of it on local city forums.

RTD, Denver's "Regional Transportation District", has been nicknamed and called "Reason To Drive" by every native Denverite I've ever met.

And I can't think of a single subway in any city I've ever visited that had one, that didn't smell of urine. Lovely conveyances.

Here, we have "light rail" which regularly turns a few people a year into hamburger for their inattentiveness downtown.

Is that better? ;)

I've never been on a subway or metro bus for >16 hours.

I did take a greyhound from Brunswick Ga. to Philadelphia when I was 16 yrs old (almost 50 yrs ago). That trip took over 24 hours, but I had a ball. I was by myself.

(oh, and thanks for your business! ;) )
I have flown Delta almost exclusively for the past 40 years. When I worked in Atlanta for 20+years, Delta was always the default airline. Then when I moved to the Daytona Beach Area, Delta was practically the only airline. Except for the continuous 40 year decline in seat sizes (coupled with my 40 increase in seat size requirement), I have never had any serious complaints. They lost my luggage in Rome once, and delayed it in LA once. The stamps on the luggage showed it had been to 4 countries between ATL and LAX.

I just wish Delta would open more routes out of Daytona Beach though. The ones they have are always crammed full and cost a premium over driving to Orlando. But it's worth it for the convenience of the DAB airport.

I have flown Delta almost exclusively for the past 40 years. When I worked in Atlanta for 20+years, Delta was always the default airline. Then when I moved to the Daytona Beach Area, Delta was practically the only airline...

I just wish Delta would open more routes out of Daytona Beach though. The ones they have are always crammed full and cost a premium over driving to Orlando. But it's worth it for the convenience of the DAB airport.

I hear you; I went to college at ERAU and know the limited number of flights out of there. I didn't do a lot of commercial flying because I couldn't afford it - but when I did I always drove to Orlando to save a few bucks. Airlines are definitely a business, if it's not making money, they aren't going to do it. We (Delta) are out-sourcing a lot of the favorite international layovers to our JV (joint venture) airlines because they aren't making enough money. The pilot group is unhappy about the lack of cool places to fly but no one is complaining about our profit sharing checks. Win-lose depending on which is more important to you.

I hear you; I went to college at ERAU and know the limited number of flights out of there. I didn't do a lot of commercial flying because I couldn't afford it - but when I did I always drove to Orlando to save a few bucks. Airlines are definitely a business, if it's not making money, they aren't going to do it. We (Delta) are out-sourcing a lot of the favorite international layovers to our JV (joint venture) airlines because they aren't making enough money. The pilot group is unhappy about the lack of cool places to fly but no one is complaining about our profit sharing checks. Win-lose depending on which is more important to you.

When my company was based out of Melbourne, I used to park my car in the company lot and they would pay for a one way rental to and from Orlando, rather than have me originate from across the ramp.

Back