Dating Your Flight Instructor?

Ding! ding! ding!

Vee have a vinner here-- of course that's why she said that to him! It was a hint! Apparently not subtle enough for said student, but a hint nonetheless. :mad2:

Not really. Had plenty of women mention that to me. Not a single one of them was hinting at me as being that man. Ask them out, they say no, and and find out what they really meant was "Oh, I want a man in my life, just not you."

Not really. Had plenty of women mention that to me. Not a single one of them was hinting at me as being that man. Ask them out, they say no, and and find out what they really meant was "Oh, I want a man in my life, just not you."

Yup. That is friendzone talk. Women only talk that way to men they are going to boff in dirty movies.

Uhh...

You keep talking like that I'm going to have to pull your wings bud, you're making us all look bad... no whining or sob stories, go get it man! :D

You don't "ask" her!

Is that your last flight today?

Yeah

Well I'm starving , let's get something to eat, you like Italian or Sushi?

Last edited:
I married my favorite flight instructor. Of course, by the time we met (and later got married) I was a flight instructor, too.

You could use the old "Wally Cleaver" trick(and if you don't know who that is, you're pretty young. Just listen.) and ask her about another female you both know and gauge her response. Keep your inquiries vague and see if she prods you for more information or acts annoyed or jealous. If you're in the friend zone, she'll actually be relieved, but if she isn't, and you're paying attention, you'll know. Even the fairest of Southern Belles, when on the prowl, can be aggressively territorial.

Socially, I think we are about the same. I'm tall and, in my opinion, somewhat good-looking. My net worth is greater than hers since I am debt-free. At one point, she thought I was as smart or smarter than her.

Well, it's not David...:rofl:

It's also possible that telling him she needs a man in her life could be a hint. There's only one way to find out.

LOL... I know someone who talks like that. She's usually trolling for someone to figure out why the Check Engine light is on on her car, again.

So the next chance the OP has, he casually says, "I need a woman in my life. One who shares my love for flying." If she bites, he's golden. If not, it would be a tough case to prove that he meant her, so no worries about restraining orders and the like.

-Rich

Wow, what kind of women are you guys associating with, that you get served with restraining orders just for asking them out on a date? :hairraise:

A tailwheel endorsement shouldn't take very long, so I don't think you really have to worry about interference. If it arises, find another instructor.

Life is too short to pass up on these sorts of opportunities, and way too long to carry regrets around.
This. Stop overthinking it. If she's a normal person, she'll respond well to ChitDisturber's suggested plan. It's a meal - not a marriage proposal. If the low key meal goes well, then you can get all worked up over an actual date. Until then, just brush your teeth and don't forget the antiperspirant. :dunno:

I'm wondering if the OP is really even a pilot - seems entirely too risk averse, appears to have neither a plan nor a backup plan and probably isn't current for night op's.

I'm wondering if the OP is really even a pilot - seems entirely too risk averse, appears to have neither a plan nor a backup plan and probably isn't current for night op's.

Maybe wondering if it is "worth it" after seeing so many crashes.

Also the "black hole illusion" can be intimidating when not current. I would recommend a good CFI to get current again. Watch out for those long straight in approaches. Good luck!

Last edited:
Wow, what kind of women are you guys associating with, that you get served with restraining orders just for asking them out on a date? :hairraise:

I haven't been served. But in retrospect, life would have been much easier if I had been served with an R.O., at least with regard to one particular woman...

-Rich

I haven't been served. But in retrospect, life would have been much easier if I had been served with an R.O., at least with regard to one particular woman...

-Rich

Ooh! I can relate to that!

I couldn't date another pilot because that would take away my "go-to" for impressing her...

"I'm a pilot... so... i'm kind of a big deal"

Not yet. We've got plenty of time left before bush flying and back course approaches with her enter the thread. :D

You guys crack me up. Just getting home from a long day at work. The wifey made sub sandwiches and having a Honey Brown Lager.

First of all, I know this is not related to flying, but I really want to post this anonymously. If needed, I will happily delete it.

Alright, now on to the conundrum...
I am a Private Pilot and I did not do any primary training with this flight instructor. In late September of this year, I started working on my tailwheel endorsement with her. Getting the tailwheel is taking longer than I anticipated (I was planning on being signed-off at the end of October).
Anyway, my plan was to bring up my desire to date AFTER the tailwheel endorsement, so that it would have no bearing on my training. It's hard to wait for many reasons. For example, recently, she expressed to me that she was really needing a man in her life...

At the rate I'm going, I don't think I will be getting the tailwheel endorsement until Christmas. It's getting harder and harder to wait, but some days I just want to tell her how I feel.

Any instructors out there had a student show a romantic interest in you? What happened? Did everything get awkward?

Yes I did, she started flight training with me and now, today we are celebrating our two year wedding anniversary!

Not yet. We've got plenty of time left before bush flying and back course approaches with her enter the thread. :D

... aaaand we have arrived. I guess my anticipation of it made it even funnier.

Sheesh, I sure hope she is not on this forum... If she is,... and she gives you all kinds of grief over it... while smiling... and doesn't tell you to take a hike.... that would be:

World. Class.

How many women tailwheel instructors are reading this wondering which one of their students is flying chubby.:lol:

Well, MORE than enough time has passed here. OP, what's the verdict, how did it go?

Well, MORE than enough time has passed here. OP, what's the verdict, how did it go?

I had another lesson with her. Was a bit more fun/flirty/cheeky than in the past.
Also, and more importantly, I learned that there is another instructor that I can get my tailwheel endorsement with in the same airplane I currently train in.
This knowledge empowered me send my instructor a message and invite her to go to what some would consider a somewhat romantic event with me. She wanted to go, but had another (legitimate) commitment already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back