Dating Your Flight Instructor?

This post ended in Nov. but... I had a similar thing happen to me with a (Male) CFI. He was very flirty, it seemed to me, how would you take someone grabbing your wrist, brushing you under the chin and playfully jabbing you with their elbow...

but I felt as the OP did, confused. (he did have a GF) So I ask him, he got ****ed off and I no longer speak with him... Moral of the story if you are confused; your not on solid ground.

Sounds inappropriate. You did the right thing addressing it with him. And little of value was lost.

I've told the story before of trying to teach my wife.
I was a IP while she was in flight school. She did a branch transfer after we got married.
Now for the uninitiated the military way of teaching that I was taught was to yell. If the student still didn't get it try belittling them. If they still did not get it whack them in the helmet with your pointer (that's why we wore flight helmets).
I was not my wife's IP as I taught an aircraft qualification course, but I decided to smuggle her into the simulaotor to give her pointers. She would be number 1 in her class if it killed me... Or if she killed me.
After a few minutes of her flying with me whacking gauges with my pointer she reached over, hit the freeze button, looked at me with those pretty blue eyes, and said in her sweetest southern drawl, "Hon, we got two options here. Either you put that pointer away or I will shove it so far up your butt it will poke out your nose." she then took the sim off freeze and started "flying" again. I put the pointer away and never tried to teach her again.
Funny, I get the same look from my teenage daughter (except she has my green eyes), as I try to teach her to drive.

I've dated two of my students. Why not? As long as you don't let it interfere with professional conduct while training it is not a problem.

I've dated two of my students. Why not? As long as you don't let it interfere with professional conduct while training it is not a problem.

The problem is when someone thinks that sexual advances are coming from someone in a position of power over them. Obviously, not as clear-cut an issue in flight instruction as in perhaps the workplace but still can be a factor. Best to date another CFI's students, IMO. If that doesn't work for you then that should tell you something.

Last edited:
You're lucky I wasn't one of your students. I would have punched you in the mouth hard. Once.

Besides, in my opinion only an imbecile uses a checklist in the pattern. Eyes should be outside making certain you don't bonk into anyone or anything, at least in the book of Steingar.

Checklists don't have to be read... They can be memorized when they're time-critical. Knock on wood: so far, none of my students has ever had a gear-up landing.

You're lucky I wasn't one of your students. I would have punched you in the mouth hard. Once.

Besides, in my opinion only an imbecile uses a checklist in the pattern. Eyes should be outside making certain you don't bonk into anyone or anything, at least in the book of Steingar.

Every CFI I've ever had made me use a paper checklist for everything from the pre-flight to taxiing back to the ramp.

Every CFI I've ever had made me use memorized checklists for certain tasks.

The problem is when someone thinks that sexual advances are coming from someone in a position of power over them. Obviously, not as clear-cut an issue in flight instruction as in perhaps the workplace but still can be a factor. Best to date another CFI's students, IMO. If that doesn't work for you then that should tell you something.

Outside of military or job related instruction, in what bizarro world does a CFI have any power over you? They are in your employment, you hold all the power.

Every CFI I've ever had made me use a paper checklist for everything from the pre-flight to taxiing back to the ramp.

As a check list, or as a 'do list'? You should only be using the list to check that you didn't miss any items. The accomplishment of the items should have been accomplished through your flow from memory.

I translate GUMPS as:

G: Gear Down
U: Undercarriage down and locked
M: Make Sure the Gear's down
P: Put the damn gear down
S: Stupid!

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Props
Seats and Switches

Now, it's a checklist, genius.

A checklist is something in front of you that you check off. Since your memory isn't in front of you it isn't a checklist, just a series of memorized items which you may or may not miss. I don't look at checklists when I fly, I'm too busy with my hands full of airplane. If you're using them while you're in the air I hope you do it far from me.

How do you check someone's mental checklist? Perhaps you can have them rattle it off, but then it isn't a checklist, just a recitation.

And like I said, the day the CFI hits me will be last day he or she flies with me and might result in reciprocation. It is just juvenile behavior and teaches nothing.

What are the B and C for?

Boost pump and carb heat. You could argue that the "G" takes care of the boost pump, but I've always used that for fuel level and selector. And since I learned on a carbed 172 (like a lot of people), I need the extra reminder when I'm in something that needs a boost pump like a PA28.

It still leaves off cowl flaps, but that's where a flow comes in. I guess it could be BCCGUMPS….

Last edited:

That's great if you have a multi-pilot crew... Not so good in some situations if you're the only pilot aboard.

GUMPS is a acronym, not a checklist, genius.

It's an acronym for a checklist. You must really enjoy picking nits. :rolleyes: Especially since it allows a pilot to use a pre-landing checklist as they should, while keeping their eyes outside which they also should (as you stated).

A checklist is something in front of you that you check off.

If you want to get so technical - I've never seen anyone actually check anything off, since they'd have to make a new copy of the checklist for each flight/use.

So, I'd say that for the purposes of flying, a "checklist" is something that allows the pilot to ensure that all pertinent actions have been completed for a particular phase of flight.

Since your memory isn't in front of you it isn't a checklist, just a series of memorized items which you may or may not miss.

There are memory techniques that allow a checklist as defined above to be something memorized.

I use several different types of checklists:

1) Paper. Good for when you are able to look inside the plane without risk, such as for an After Landing checklist - Pull off the runway, cross the hold short line, stop and run the checklist.

2) Acronyms. GUMPS and PAIN CALL are the ones I use most often. They're useful when you're in the air and need to ensure you complete several items but you may not want to look in the cockpit or have yet another piece of paper floating around at that particular moment.

3) Memorized lists. These are harder to get right in the first place, but the rhythm can be used to ensure you don't miss anything. The ones I use are useful for all the planes I fly on a regular basis, though that means that some items are extraneous on some planes. For example, my cruise checklist: Trim, time, lights, pump, power, mixture, compass, cowl flaps. In the Mooney the pump isn't used except for priming, I have a slaved HSI, and there are no cowl flaps so I simply skip those items on that plane.

Those are all checklists. Some allow you to keep your head outside and/or your cockpit better organized. No sense picking nits over what a checklist is.

I don't look at checklists when I fly, I'm too busy with my hands full of airplane.

Try using trim. ;)

If you're using them while you're in the air I hope you do it far from me.

How'd you pass your private pilot checkride without using any checklists?

How do you check someone's mental checklist? Perhaps you can have them rattle it off, but then it isn't a checklist, just a recitation.

As long as they can rattle it off consistently, it works as a checklist. Master, beacon, mixture, tank, pump, prime, clear, start, oil pressure, lean.

And like I said, the day the CFI hits me will be last day he or she flies with me and might result in reciprocation. It is just juvenile behavior and teaches nothing.

On that, we can agree.

Boost pump and carb heat. You could argue that the "G" takes care of the boost pump, but I've always used that for fuel level and selector. And since I learned on a carbed 172 (like a lot of people), I need the extra reminder when I'm in something that needs a boost pump like a PA28.

It still leaves off cowl flaps, but that's where a flow comes in. I guess it could be BCCGUMPS….

CCGUMPS is a variation that I've learned.

My boost boost pump is a Switch, right next to the landing light switches and carb heat isn't really applicable on fuel injected plane - or a requirement my Lycosaurus.

How'd you pass your private pilot checkride without using any checklists?

Use them religiously on the ground, but not in the air. I'm sorry, a memorized set of tasks and a checklist are wholly different things in the book of Steingar. they were first put into use when the first B-17 crashed on take-off because the gust lock wasn't removed. Those pilots had mental checklists too, lot of good it did them.

You can forget anything you've memorized. No doubt all those guys who landed gear up had pre-landing checklists. You can also miss something on paper, which is why a real checklist (where you check off items as you do them) is really invaluable, and these days not at all difficult to produce.

If I consistently had a copilot I might consider using them in the air. Never flying solo. Always on the ground.

GUMPS is a acronym, not a checklist, genius.

Technically, it's a mnemonic for a checklist, genius:

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop/Pump
Safety

Quite widely used for decades. Feel free to adapt as appropriate. It helps run a checklist of important items without distracting the pilot. Perhaps some instruction could help.

I don't look at checklists when I fly, I'm too busy with my hands full of airplane.

Gee, I hope you seek out further training so you don't need to be so overwhelmed by that Cherokee. The FAA believes you should be capable of doing both, and demonstrate it on any check ride....or fail.

Every CFI I've ever had made me use memorized checklists for certain tasks.

My students need to do certain things from memory, then when the situation permits, they must verify with a checklist.

That checklist may be on a card, in a notebook, or printed on the panel or visors (like some airplanes), but it MUST be somewhere else than in their head.

The whole POINT of a checklist is to have something to doublecheck your brain.

Gee, I hope you seek out further training so you don't need to be so overwhelmed by that Cherokee. The FAA believes you should be capable of doing both, and demonstrate it on any check ride....or fail.

If the FAA really believes that you should have your head in a checklist while in the pattern with other aircraft than they are in worse shape than I could have ever imagined. I suspect strongly that you believe the FAA believes this, and that you are the one in need of remedial training before one of your students has a midair because his head was in a checklist.

Tim has the right of it. A memorized series of items is just that. A checklist is so you have another source. But I disagree with the CFIs, I am not using one in the pattern where there are other aircraft, and the only impetus that would cause me to use one in flight is an in-air emergency, though I think I have those memorized as well. I do think that once I've established best glide and tried an engine restart that a checklist would be a good idea to make certain that in my adrenaline rush I haven't forgot anything. That's assuming I have some altitude below me and lots of reasonable places to land.

If the FAA really believes that you should have your head in a checklist while in the pattern with other aircraft than they are in worse shape than I could have ever imagined. I suspect strongly that you believe the FAA believes this, and that you are the one in need of remedial training before one of your students has a midair because his head was in a checklist.

Tim has the right of it. A memorized series of items is just that. A checklist is so you have another source. But I disagree with the CFIs, I am not using one in the pattern where there are other aircraft, and the only impetus that would cause me to use one in flight is an in-air emergency, though I think I have those memorized as well. I do think that once I've established best glide and tried an engine restart that a checklist would be a good idea to make certain that in my adrenaline rush I haven't forgot anything. That's assuming I have some altitude below me and lots of reasonable places to land.

To see where the FAA thinks you should be reading a list, go read the practical test standards and pay attention to where it calls for checklists in the various tasks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

To see where the FAA thinks you should be reading a list, go read the practical test standards and pay attention to where it calls for checklists in the various tasks.

That's a good idea Tim, I will do that as soon as I am able. I can assure you that at no time in my training or my forty or so hours of duel was I ever asked to use a written checklist while in the pattern. Indeed I've never been asked to use a checklist for any phase of flight except engine start and run-up. Perhaps I'm the odd one.

That's a good idea Tim, I will do that as soon as I am able. I can assure you that at no time in my training or my forty or so hours of duel was I ever asked to use a written checklist while in the pattern. Indeed I've never been asked to use a checklist for any phase of flight except engine start and run-up. Perhaps I'm the odd one.
I understand where you are coming from and agree with you, but yeah you are the odd one. Pilots use paper checklists in flight even in Cherokees. Not new, probably comes from the pilot mills trying to make mini 121 operating units.
Funny thing is Soviet SOP was memorization of checklists(yes in jets) and performing them from memory. So yeah there are other ways but don't tell these guys.

Your reading comprehension is quite low, isn't it? Try re-reading the discussion of GUMPS above. It addresses your concern, and the FAA's concern...and has been used effectively for many decades.

Funny thing is Soviet SOP was memorization of checklists(yes in jets) and performing them from memory. So yeah there are other ways but don't tell these guys.

I'm not sure I would model my practices after the Soviets...

MOSCOW – the International Herald Tribune carries an interesting report on the air traffic safety record of Russia and the other former Soviet republics.

It claims the record was the worst in world last year, with an accident rate 13 times the world average, according to the International Air Transport Association.

Last year, planes flown by Russian carriers were responsible for the deaths of 318 people in two major crashes and eight lesser ones - close to half the world's total of 755 fatalities reported by the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

In Russia and the former Soviet republics together, the combined death toll was 466.

After consultations with the Russian authorities, the European Union in late June barred four Russian carriers - Kuban Airlines, Yakutia Airlines, Airlines 400 and Kavminvodyavia - from flying into airports in the region.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?id=1120920

Perhaps effective use of checklists might help them.

Try getting through a part 135 single pilot checkride without having, not only a written checklist, but an "approved" written checklist. And if you do not at least glance at it during transitional phases of flight, you will be reminded of it at the debrief. Even if you have a good flow pattern, and have all things memorized.

Hello,

My name is Brooke Hil, and I am a reporter for a major media outlet based in New York City.

We're looking to do a story on pilots who have at times become disgruntled or frustrated with the flying process/corporate airline structure/etc and would be willing to be interviewed about their experience.

If interested, please email me directly at BrookeHil87@gmail.com. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Brooke Hil

Hello,

My name is Brooke Hil, and I am a reporter for a major media outlet based in New York City.

We're looking to do a story on pilots who have at times become disgruntled or frustrated with the flying process/corporate airline structure/etc and would be willing to be interviewed about their experience.

If interested, please email me directly at BrookeHil87@gmail.com. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Brooke Hil

Dear Brooke,

You seem to be a very nice reporter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bNlrroFd4) but please stop spamming the board with the same message over and over. Stick around and chat if you want people to talk to you. Are you truly a PilotReporter?

Last edited:
Dear Brooke,

You seem to be a very nice reporter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bNlrroFd4) but please stop spamming the board with the same message over and over. Stick around and chat if you want people to talk to you. Are you truly a PilotReporter?

Seriously!

She could have simply created a thread and posted just once and had a single source for her inquiries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back