Dating Your Flight Instructor?

Yep.
There was so much going on at the airport that I never had a chance to ask her in person.

Dude, that was a premature invitation... always ask the first date in person.

That said... next time, ask again in person. At this point she'll either say yes, or probably let you know she's not interested.

At which point, if you want, you can say. "That's ok, I just wanted you to know you're appreciated". I think that's a polite way to say "I like you" with little risk of creepiness. Then LEAVE HER BE. She'll either raise the subject again in the future, or you'll remain friendly.

I'm kind of interested to see if the "message" approach works. Maybe I've been trying too hard.

I'm kind of interested to see if the "message" approach works. Maybe I've been trying too hard.

It can... For me, it wasn't even a text. I was playing Words With Friends with my fiancée and chatting via the chat function... She said something about us both being lame and playing WWF on a Friday night, and I suggested we see a movie instead.

It worked... Of course, she was well into a bottle of wine at that point! :D

It can... For me, it wasn't even a text. I was playing Words With Friends with my fiancée and chatting via the chat function... She said something about us both being lame and playing WWF on a Friday night, and I suggested we see a movie instead.

You should tell her she should thank you from saving her from a life of being the "crazy" lady with 10 cats.

You should tell her she should thank you from saving her from a life of being the "crazy" lady with 10 cats.

Yup - Luckily, I caught her when she only had one cat. (Still have the cat. Am sometimes reminded that the cat was here first... ;))

NOW we hear the truth!

Hey now, she's been sober nearly all the time since then, including when I asked her to marry me. :D

I tell the dog to move his furry ass off the bed, I'd rather sleep with my wife.

First come, first serve. He never came on the bed or any other furniture when it was just the 2 of us. Then when we were still dating, my wife was out of work for about a month. I came home one day, and she was on the couch with the dog next to her. In one day she ruined all the training I gave him. The way I see it, she is just getting rewarded for it.

Gee...

This post ended in Nov. but... I had a similar thing happen to me with a (Male) CFI. He was very flirty, it seemed to me, how would you take someone grabbing your wrist, brushing you under the chin and playfully jabbing you with their elbow...

but I felt as the OP did, confused. (he did have a GF) So I ask him, he got ****ed off and I no longer speak with him... Moral of the story if you are confused; your not on solid ground.

Last edited:
Since this thread has been revived....

Who the **** was the OP, and did he ever get a date?

This post ended in Nov. but... I had a similar thing happen to me with a (Male) CFI. He was very flirty, it seemed to me, how would you take someone grabbing your wrist, brushing you under the chin and playfully jabbing you with their elbow...

Geez, back in the day (*way* back) when I was learning how to fly in a PA-12 in NE Ohio all that happened to me was getting a nasty a$$ snot rag smacked upside my head when hosing a landing in the middle of winter. :D

but I felt as the OP did, confused. (he did have a GF) So I ask him, he got ****ed off and I no longer speak with him... Moral of the story if you are confused; your not on solid ground.

Welcome to Pilots of America.

touching is inappropriate until after the dating begins, if it does. Welcome. to POA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Since this thread has been revived....

Who the **** was the OP, and did he ever get a date?

Trying to change the subject Ed? :D

Trying to change the subject Ed? :D

Ha! I've only signed two logbooks belonging to females, and I can assure you this poster was not one of them. Plus it disqualified me from being that , because since I've been flying I haven't had a girlfriend. Come on, that's not even CSI level detective work.

touching is inappropriate until after the dating begins, if it does.

Gee, I've had four female students this past year (two private licenses completed, one instrument rating completed and another private in progress), and they hug me all the time! Of course, three are now like daughters to me and the fourth is a friend of four decades who decided she wanted to fly.

touching is inappropriate until after the dating begins, if it does. Welcome. to POA.

I use touch all the time to teach. One of my favorites is "If you don't execute the Before Landing Checklist before turning final, I will punch you in the shoulder." After a few punches (not really hard), everyone seems to be conscious of not ever forgetting the check.

Much like coaching, I don't think you can instruct well without touching some. It doesn't have to be creepy, though.

Gee, I've had four female students this past year (two private licenses completed, one instrument rating completed and another private in progress), and they hug me all the time! Of course, three are now like daughters to me and the fourth is a friend of four decades who decided she wanted to fly.

sorry I wasn't clear. teacher touching student without invitation is inappropriate.

I use touch all the time to teach. One of my favorites is "If you don't execute the Before Landing Checklist before turning final, I will punch you in the shoulder." After a few punches (not really hard), everyone seems to be conscious of not ever forgetting the check.

Much like coaching, I don't think you can instruct well without touching some. It doesn't have to be creepy, though.

I did that with two students that used the words "This is..." Before their call sign during radio transmissions. I told them I was going to sock them in the shoulder (gently) whenever I heard that. Got to the point they'd flinched when they heard themselves speak those words! It was good for some laughs....and broke the habit.

Last edited:
I did that with two students that used the words "This is..." Before their call sign during radio transmissions. I told the I was going to sock them in the shoulder (gently) whenever I heard that. Got to the point they'd flinched when they heard themselves speak those words! It was good for some laughs....and broke the habit.

Did they have a military or marine background ? 'This is' is part of standard voice-procedure anywhere but in aviation.

So I read this whole thread, and got no answer as to how it played out beyond a sorry text request for a date????

Come on, what happened?

I use touch all the time to teach. One of my favorites is "If you don't execute the Before Landing Checklist before turning final, I will punch you in the shoulder."

You're lucky I wasn't one of your students. I would have punched you in the mouth hard. Once.

Besides, in my opinion only an imbecile uses a checklist in the pattern. Eyes should be outside making certain you don't bonk into anyone or anything, at least in the book of Steingar.

You're lucky I wasn't one of your students. I would have punched you in the mouth hard. Once.

Besides, in my opinion only an imbecile uses a checklist in the pattern. Eyes should be outside making certain you don't bonk into anyone or anything, at least in the book of Steingar.

Ever heard of GUMPS? Only an imbecile would NOT use some form of a checklist before landing....plus they'd fail their checkride.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back