Dating Your Flight Instructor?

A tailwheel endorsement shouldn't take very long, so I don't think you really have to worry about interference. If it arises, find another instructor.

Life is too short to pass up on these sorts of opportunities, and way too long to carry regrets around.

If she is complaining about her love life to you, you are already friendzoned. No escape from that pit. Time to find another one, there are plenty. And stop being an emotional tampon for the ladies, that will get you nowhere.
Ask me how I know this....:rolleyes:

I agree with the "ask her out" crowd. If she is interested then maybe some magic will happen. If not, "you better find yourself another girl".

Ehhh, no guts no glory. no balls no babies...

FTFY...especially considering the context.

To OP...put me squarely in the camp of "flight instructors are far easier to find than good women"...go for it! :thumbsup:

And...make sure you let us know how it goes!

Go for it !
FatGirl.jpg

A tailwheel endorsement shouldn't take very long, so I don't think you really have to worry about interference. If it arises, find another instructor.

Life is too short to pass up on these sorts of opportunities, and way too long to carry regrets around.

Depends, if you're just trying to get a endorsment to training to fly a tailwheel by yourself, if the later it tends to take the same amount of time as it took the student to solo the first time in my experience.

Great thread! I'm in the camp of, go do dinner after a lesson and see what develops... it's all too difficult sometimes to find compatible partners who share your interests.

In my case a woman I'd had a fling with, of sorts, became an instructor, a few years later we reconnected, I went flying with her and she asked, "so when do you want to start flight training?" Some months later, as her student, I passed my checkride and many more years later we're great friends... just saying, you never know how things will eventually turn out unless you try. I can see, though, how it might not work well for everyone.

Well then you better ask her out before you go broke on flying lessons. You may as well go broke doing other things with her more fun...unless she's tossing in 'mile high' instruction, then carry on.

He had better get the MH endorsement before marriage or he can forget it. Hope the AP works.

Go get on it, now. Pick up the phone and call her today.

Line up an alternate tailwheel instructor - regardless of which way it goes you may need a new one, but so what? They will be much more easy to find than a good woman.

Is a tail wheel endorsement that difficult?? I don't have one, but assumed it was a 5-10 thing, that's what it took for my multi.:dunno:
I'm assuming I'm a good bit older than you, so I'll give you the same advice I give my kids, ages 18, 20 and 24. "The older I get the more I realize my regrets aren't things I've done, but things I didn't do." So, go for it, what's the worst that can happen? She freaks out and won't finish up your training? Not likely.
If you're really worried, meet her for lunch, no pressure on either one of you, heck once you become a man and woman eating vs student and CFI flying and talking airplanes you my find that you don't like her! :D Then she becomes your stalker!!:dunno:

Is a tail wheel endorsement that difficult?? I don't have one, but assumed it was a 5-10 thing, that's what it took for my multi.:dunno:
I'm assuming I'm a good bit older than you, so I'll give you the same advice I give my kids, ages 18, 20 and 24. "The older I get the more I realize my regrets aren't things I've done, but things I didn't do." So, go for it, what's the worst that can happen? She freaks out and won't finish up your training? Not likely.
If you're really worried, meet her for lunch, no pressure on either one of you, heck once you become a man and woman eating vs student and CFI flying and talking airplanes you my find that you don't like her! :D Then she becomes your stalker!!:dunno:

For me, the difficulty is with actually getting time logged. I never thought it would take a month to log only 4 hours of instruction.

Yes, the worse-case scenario would be her freaking out and getting a restraining order against me. That would also mean that I would no longer be able to receive instruction in the only tailwheel rental aircraft within a 50+ mile radius of where I live. :-(

If you are going to go for it, go all in. Ambigous friend/student lunch type dates put you further from your goal. Do you outrank her socially? Better looking, more money(less important than most think) etc? If you don't your odds are worse, dating a student is dating down and women don't date down unless the dude has something else going on, like being an outlaw biker.

Get the endorsement, then offer dinner as a sign of appreciation for the successful training. That dinner should provide you with all the signs to determine if she'll freak out asking her on a "real" date. If she's not interested, you'll figure that out too, but will still be able to rent the plane.

My opinion on dating is like many other things in life...don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to...including asking someone out on a date. Saves lots of awkwardness on everyone's part.

In college I had a CFI friend who got drunk at a party and had sex with one of his students. The next day she came out and signed up with a new instructor. Pretty awkward but made for a great story!

In college I had a CFI friend who got drunk at a party and had sex with one of his students. The next day she came out and signed up with a new instructor. Pretty awkward but made for a great story!

Must have been some lame sex...:lol:

If she is complaining about her love life to you, you are already friendzoned. No escape from that pit. Time to find another one, there are plenty. And stop being an emotional tampon for the ladies, that will get you nowhere.

It's also possible that telling him she needs a man in her life could be a hint. There's only one way to find out.

Yes, the worse-case scenario would be her freaking out and getting a restraining order against me.

As long as you're willing to take "no" for an answer, I'm having a hard time seeing why that would be at all likely.

Have her pose next to the plane. Post it. We will gladly make the decision for you.

Go for it, just keep track. It is good practice, it is going to happen again. Don'l stall or loose track. Land the airplane safely.

Do you outrank her socially? Better looking, more money(less important than most think) etc? If you don't your odds are worse, dating a student is dating down and women don't date down unless the dude has something else going on, like being an outlaw biker.

Socially, I think we are about the same. I'm tall and, in my opinion, somewhat good-looking. My net worth is greater than hers since I am debt-free. At one point, she thought I was as smart or smarter than her.

Have her pose next to the plane. Post it. We will gladly make the decision for you.

Sorry, I really don't feel comfortable posting pictures of people in an online forum without their permission.
For what it's worth, most would probably say that she is attractive - short, blonde, in shape, etc.

Socially, I think we are about the same. I'm tall and, in my opinion, somewhat good-looking. My net worth is greater than hers since I am debt-free. At one point, she thought I was as smart or smarter than her.

Go for it. Just don't go half in. If she pulls the awkward card next her. Plenty of em out there.

If I understand correctly, the OP was just interested in chasing tailwheel....

Go for it !
FatGirl.jpg

Ok if this is her then throw her back....she may love flying but shes really gonna screw up your uselful load!!!

Second and most importantly....DOES SHE OWN A PLANE????

31 years ago my mother wanted to get her private pilots license as all the men in her family are pilots. She went and took a couple lessons but never finished her license. Im 30 years old :dunno:

31 years ago my mother wanted to get her private pilots license as all the men in her family are pilots. She went and took a couple lessons but never finished her license. Im 30 years old :dunno:
So was your dad her flight instructor? :goofy:

Ok if this is her then throw her back....she may love flying but shes really gonna screw up your uselful load!!!

Second and most importantly....DOES SHE OWN A PLANE????

We only had one female CFI at the flight school where I did my PPL, and she was the chief instructor.

She bore a strong type resemblance to the lady in the picture above. Needless to say, intra-training relationships weren't an issue, so far as I could tell.

Sorry, I really don't feel comfortable posting pictures of people in an online forum without their permission.

A wise decision. And if you end up dating her, it probably would not be wise to say much about it on a public forum.

Thing is this. This girl is most likely going to think it would be a huge plus if whomever she is dating is also a pilot. Scheduling, training, practicing, etc can be done jointly.

You are a pilot. You have a leg up on 99% of the male population.

It's also possible that telling him she needs a man in her life could be a hint. There's only one way to find out.
Ding! ding! ding!

Vee have a vinner here-- of course that's why she said that to him! It was a hint! Apparently not subtle enough for said student, but a hint nonetheless. :mad2:

Ding! ding! ding!

Vee have a vinner here-- of course that's why she said that to him! It was a hint! Apparently not subtle enough for said student, but a hint nonetheless. :mad2:

So the next chance the OP has, he casually says, "I need a woman in my life. One who shares my love for flying." If she bites, he's golden. If not, it would be a tough case to prove that he meant her, so no worries about restraining orders and the like.

-Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back