Dating Your Flight Instructor?

U

Unregistered

First of all, I know this is not related to flying, but I really want to post this anonymously. If needed, I will happily delete it.

Alright, now on to the conundrum...
I am a Private Pilot and I did not do any primary training with this flight instructor. In late September of this year, I started working on my tailwheel endorsement with her. Getting the tailwheel is taking longer than I anticipated (I was planning on being signed-off at the end of October).
Anyway, my plan was to bring up my desire to date AFTER the tailwheel endorsement, so that it would have no bearing on my training. It's hard to wait for many reasons. For example, recently, she expressed to me that she was really needing a man in her life...

At the rate I'm going, I don't think I will be getting the tailwheel endorsement until Christmas. It's getting harder and harder to wait, but some days I just want to tell her how I feel.

Any instructors out there had a student show a romantic interest in you? What happened? Did everything get awkward?

I never dated my flight instructor, but I did about halfway through my training rent a room in a townhouse he bought. Made it convenient to get my XC signoffs (the staff at the FBO could never understand how I'd make 8AM departures when they knew Dale didn't get up that early).

If she is complaining about her love life to you, you are already friendzoned. No escape from that pit. Time to find another one, there are plenty. And stop being an emotional tampon for the ladies, that will get you nowhere.

You are already used to taking instructions from her, so your training for a personal future is well underway. If you can put the toilet seat down and keep your feet off the couch, I would say you have completed the boyfriend endorsement.

Good luck.

Yes.

We started dating after she soloed, and got married a week after she passed her PP practical test.

Nope, but I sent her to a buddy for her IR training. Still married 35 years later.

Wow! You move fast Ron. :D

If you have time for women but not time to fly, your priorities are out of order.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
If there are any mods out there that could delete this thread, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hit it now. It can only help with the endorsement. Take it off the pedistal, because you're over thinking this and that leads to ruining it.

Yes.

We started dating after she soloed, and got married a week after she passed her PP practical test.

Nope, but I sent her to a buddy for her IR training. Still married 35 years later.

Wow! You move fast Ron. :D

...and he thinks fast too...

Ron got all of the available dollars for primary...knew there was no way for the romance to survive instrument training and passed her on to another instructor...AND is still married...

GENIUS. :yes::yes::yes:

Ron, do you and your wife argue the FARs? My guess is he knows better...:D:D

He didn't say how long it was between solo and check ride! :D

Irrelevant. :D

Last edited:
The guys that instructed me just weren't my type. :no:

However, there were a couple of good looking instructors where I flew at. Denise at College Park (CGS) and Danielle at Craig (CRG). Being 16-17 and Denise being around 25 probably wouldn't have worked. Danielle got a job flying 737s and eventually went back to France. She was a bit older than me too.

BTW... For some reason, I thought David already had his tailwheel endorsement.

It really depends on level of maturity of both parties and your ages. There have been some "issues" in Colorado (and I'm sure other places) with questionable actions between older, male CFI and younger, female student.

Sometimes these are the most interesting threads. Sorry that you are through with it.

I totally agree that this thread is interesting. It's just off-topic (although it may turn into a "lesson learned" - haha).

It depends on the two people involved but it can be difficult. If she is your CFI are you going to be able to take constructive criticism without thinking there is a hidden agenda or wrapping it in layers of emotion?

Also, if she's not interested in you romantically but you make a move, she may become wary as soon as that seed is planted.

Mixing emotion and business is the kiss of death. Change CFIs and ask her out or FOCUS. You can't swoon her and focus on what you need to learn simultaneously.

If you like her go ahead and make a move. If she says she needs a man you can get her laid, it's a win win.

If it doesn't work out for some crazy reason so what. At least you tried and you don't have to fret over it.

I'm in the camp that says go for it.

Aint that big of a deal, go ask her if she wants to grab dinner and see where t goes :dunno:

I wouldn't worry about finishing your t/w before, doubt it'll make that much of a diffrence.

Never had this happen to me, during my training never had or saw attractive female CFI, later on never had a female student or employed a female CFI, in a way I envy your predicament.

Go for it and let us know how it turns out :yes:

It depends on the two people involved but it can be difficult. If she is your CFI are you going to be able to take constructive criticism without thinking there is a hidden agenda or wrapping it in layers of emotion?

Also, if she's not interested in you romantically but you make a move, she may become wary as soon as that seed is planted.

Ehhh, no guts no glory, may as well let her her know how you feel, there are plenty of CFIs out there if that goes south. However, your first comment has some weight if it does work lol. Having run boats with a GF as a 'team', I can confirm that separating the professional relationship from the private one can be difficult and trying, but it's not impossible.

Good women are harder to find than good instructors. Good women who share your love of aviation are even harder to find.
Take a shot. If it doesn't work, so be it.

In my entire life, the only things I've ever regretted are the things I didn't try.

Could it be that you are dragging out your tailwheel endorsement because you like spending time with her ?

Keep your hand on the 'throttle'

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Ehhh, no guts no glory, may as well let her her know how you feel, there are plenty of CFIs out there if that goes south.
I guess that's true. You can't win if you don't play.

However, your first comment has some weight if it does work lol. Having run boats with a GF as a 'team', I can confirm that separating the professional relationship from the private one can be difficult and trying, but it's not impossible.
Back in the dark ages I lived with, flew with, and owned a business with an SO. I swore I would never do it again, although years later I flew as a CFI giving him flight reviews and instrument checks and it was fine. So I think Murphey is correct in that it depends on the age and maturity of the parties.

I guess that's true. You can't win if you don't play.

Back in the dark ages I lived with, flew with, and owned a business with an SO. I swore I would never do it again, although years later I flew as a CFI giving him flight reviews and instrument checks and it was fine. So I think Murphey is correct in that it depends on the age and maturity of the parties.

Yeah, when the relationship has you together 24/7 for months at a time, often through trying and stressful circumstances, it gets even tougher, especially when one is the boss as well. That level of maturity is tough to find, and really it relies more on respect than anything else.

Could it be that you are dragging out your tailwheel endorsement because you like spending time with her ?

Certainly not!
If anything, she would be the one (tail) dragging out my endorsement, because SHE likes spending time with me...

Certainly not!
If anything, she would be the one (tail) dragging out my endorsement, because SHE likes spending time with me...

Well then you better ask her out before you go broke on flying lessons. You may as well go broke doing other things with her more fun...unless she's tossing in 'mile high' instruction, then carry on.

Well then you better ask her out before you go broke on flying lessons. You may as well go broke doing other things with her more fun...unless she's tossing in 'mile high' instruction, then carry on.

I was not implying that she WAS dragging out my endorsement, but that between the two of us, she has more of a reason to do so. I've only done about 4 hours of tailwheel instruction thus far and have made good progress (IMHO).

No, no 'mile high' instruction. Lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back