Daily Pic

Mooney Ovation. 13,000 feet. Nice tailwind.
ba52d5c44d344cc4cc3620bee0f3bb2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20231202_204508_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231202_204457_Gallery.jpg

Definitely pushed my limits today. 8.7 hrs on the Hobbs in solid IMC approaches. TAF was calling for VFR arrival back home. That ended up being a lie. Ceiling ended up being 500 ft above minimums. My personal mins was 1000 ft till today. Flying real IMC without autopilot is not even close to Flying under the hood or at night while training. ha

…Flying real IMC without autopilot is not even close to Flying under the hood or at night while training. ha
I’m usually more precise in IMC than under the hood; I attribute this to my brain realizing this is not the time or place to FAFO. I also find I’m generally more fatigued after IMC approach than under the hold.

I’m usually more precise in IMC than under the hood; I attribute this to my brain realizing this is not the time or place to FAFO. I also find I’m generally more fatigued after IMC approach than under the hold.
ha. It's definitely not the time to play around. I find flying imc at night to be easier and not as scary than day time imc. maybe because I can't see the white out? but then I don't like flying at night. it's weird.

Guessing this was a insta or gopro 360 camera mounted on a pole sticking out forward of the leading edge

That would be the most obvious answer and what I presume. What I don't see is the mounting 'pole'. That is some stealth $hi+ right there. :) Maybe a Go-Pro on a high speed close formation flying drone....says Occam's Dull Razor.

Here’s a video I found about different mounting options for cameras

That would be the most obvious answer and what I presume. What I don't see is the mounting 'pole'. That is some stealth $hi+ right there. :) Maybe a Go-Pro on a high speed close formation flying drone....says Occam's Dull Razor.
The camera software can remove the pole from the video so it's not seen. Pretty neat stuff, my android phone can actually remove the propellor from photos and it works really well.

It is a gopro 360 on a 5' pole. It sticks out about 24" in front of the wing. It takes 360 video all the time and after you land you compose your video. It is fun to play with and you can get pretty good detail photos from the video. It is not great for distance shots or even formation but I am satisfied. This is the video the picture came from. It is pretty boring. It was bumpy and more x wind than I like to fly in.

Here are a couple pictures of the mount and camera. Im cheap and used an old broom handle and some angle I had left over. It is a little bouncy at times but the gopro software takes most of the shake out. I may wrap the pole with carbon fiber to see if it will stiffen up. IMG_4003.JPGIMG_4004.JPGIMG_4007.JPG

Ha, I think I heard you on the radio today on my way to KJQD.
We'll have to check on the pizza. Or @Mooney Fan could bring some on his way to RR24 :D
The pizza never fares well on the flight home. The smell is unbearable so I cave.

Interesting you mention Ohio Co. I was up with Evansville when I passed by there at 11:05. Is that your plane on the ramp?

I was a 4500' with the Iphone

Ohio Co 1.jpg

A busy year for me. 600 hours of flying and I’ve been out on leave from the end of August until now. Lots of ocean crossings and only had to endure ATL 3 times:). Last flight was August 19th FCO-JFK

Longest flight: JFK-ACC (5,111 miles) - 11:18
Shortest flight: BER-AMS (371 miles) - 2:11. This wasn’t scheduled. We had a maintenance issue.

IMG_5787.gif

Last edited:
Great year! Will you need some recurrent training before you start flying again?

Great year! Will you need some recurrent training before you start flying again?
Already done! 3 landings and a V1 cut got me recertified. My leave actually ended at the end of November but I was able to get all of December off which was a nice bonus. First flight back should be on New Year’s Day.

Back