Daily Pic

LGA-RIC

Too much flying this month. Already have 40 hours and getting called off reserve every week:(

NBgBaNC.jpg

And.... How'd they like it?
Your Archer, or a rental?
How far'd ya go?
Lunch? Dinner?

Congrats, anyway...
Archer is a club plane

I was worried about my wife, but she really loved it. Took her to lunch. She was a little cold to the idea when I was training, but after she saw how fast even a slow airplane is, and how beautiful the view is, she gets it.

My daughter was over the moon. Flew over our house and her school, did a steep turn and a stall, let her take the yoke for a bit.

Did about 1.5 hr each. Now that I have them hooked I'm looking forward to some longer trips :D

No such thing as too much flying.

What is the flight hour to “on the clock” ratio usually?
Not sure. We only get paid when the main cabin door is closed and brakes dropped. As soon as the door open backs up we stopped getting paid. We have to report to the gate 45 minutes prior to departure. So we’re at least working 45 minutes for free. Couple that with a few sits in between flights, occasional mx issues, wx delays, etc, the time on duty is usually a whole lot less than I get paid. For example, I had a 3 leg day which had an early report like 5 or 6am. Our total duty was like 13 hours. I don’t get paid for all 13 hours. Some airlines have a duty rig so you’ll get paid proportional to your duty day. At my airline, we don’t have a duty rig. We do have a minimum day guarantee of 4 hours of pay. However, like I mentioned before, you could have 2-3 flights in one day and throw in a wx or mx delay and your duty day could be 12+ hours, however we would only get paid for 4 hours.

Not sure. We only get paid when the main cabin door is closed and brakes dropped. As soon as the door open backs up we stopped getting paid. We have to report to the gate 45 minutes prior to departure. So we’re at least working 45 minutes for free. Couple that with a few sits in between flights, occasional mx issues, wx delays, etc, the time on duty is usually a whole lot less than I get paid. For example, I had a 3 leg day which had an early report like 5 or 6am. Our total duty was like 13 hours. I don’t get paid for all 13 hours. Some airlines have a duty rig so you’ll get paid proportional to your duty day. At my airline, we don’t have a duty rig. We do have a minimum day guarantee of 4 hours of pay. However, like I mentioned before, you could have 2-3 flights in one day and throw in a wx or mx delay and your duty day could be 12+ hours, however we would only get paid for 4 hours.

I work at least 10+ hours a week for which I don't get paid most weeks, sometimes more. All things being equal, I'd gladly take a flying gig making the same money any..day..of..the..year and see the stuff you see instead of the same, old tired faces I have to look at every day flying a desk job.

Archer is a club plane

I was worried about my wife, but she really loved it. Took her to lunch. She was a little cold to the idea when I was training, but after she saw how fast even a slow airplane is, and how beautiful the view is, she gets it.

My daughter was over the moon. Flew over our house and her school, did a steep turn and a stall, let her take the yoke for a bit.

Did about 1.5 hr each. Now that I have them hooked I'm looking forward to some longer trips :D
A stall with first time passengers. WOW. More power to them...

But, to me, further proof that we know we're trained, we know our limitations, and we are competent...

Good on ya.

Oliver Springs, TN is about 10 nm north of my base in Lenoir City, TN. Flew up to it for the first time yesterday to take a look:

49173832182_1349346a76_c.jpg

Pretty dramatic view. You can't quite make it out in the photo, but there are a handful of windmills up on the ridge - all very pretty.

Plan on landing there soon - probably have more photos or a video soon.

We need to determine a "Devil's Triangle" for us E. TN pilots....

And make up some patches or hats or sumpin...

You think!

49173753816_eab32b7774_o.jpg

Damn, does everything have to be named these days? Soon the squids will be all over it.

Capture.JPG
This is one of the gnarliest paved roads I've done in a long while, especially the NE section near Caryville. It's paved, but barely, and has some quite interesting switchbacks. I saw no cars, no other bikes, but a decent number of atvs running the road. And Stoney Fork Rd at the end is dirt back down until it joins up with 116. Perfect BMW GS type riding...

I add this to the Devils Triangle, has everything I want on a good ride. Nice paved sweepers for max cornering, back roads paved goat trails, and dirt!

40849C14-2E6D-4CBE-BF36-696F1DC9A410.jpeg

Got this one on the ramp at 44N( Sky Acres NY). They have a new restaurant up there and I went to check it out— looked real nice but had to get out of there quick as snow showers were moving in!

That aircraft you can see is an original 1949 Swift! Met a guy at the fuel pump who had retrofitted his Swift with all the bells and whistles. Chatted with him for a few— I have to say it was probably the most beautiful plane I’ve ever seen! Unfortunately felt like it would be weird to start taking pictures but really incredible! I took off right behind the plane you see here and the upgraded Swift and it was absolutely beautiful. Just goes to show you— never know what you are going to get to see on any flying adventures!

Last edited:
So glad a new page started here...I was getting tired of scrolling all the way to the bottom to see new photos!

Back