CSEL Checkride Debrief

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
The Commercial was certainly a fun one. I arrived at the DPE’s office at 1pm and he was ready to get started. The logbook audit, paperwork, test overview etc., took about 30 minutes or so and then the oral began. It was definitely right down the ACS and lots of stuff that’s more or less review from Private Pilot, with the whole privileges of the CPL certificate thrown in there. Calculating a weight and balance, performance charts, flight planning, lots of weather etc. Not really a whole lot to write home about for the oral.

The flight portion was most interesting. I did the preflight and we hopped in and did a short field takeoff out of FGU and this was where the dead reckoning and pilotage began. We flew up to RZR and I was off by about 2.5 minutes on the time I originally told him (with standards). He took me smack dab over RZR at 3000 and pulled my throttle and said to put him on the thousands. This was the emergency descent and also counted for my power-off 180, which was really a power off 360 (;)). From here we did the series of landings and then departed to the east for the 8’s on pylons. I picked two perfectly spaced silos, but I think the pressure of having the DPE aboard made me loose the second pylon as I rolled out, so luckily a nice high tension power line was right below and was within the 3-5 seconds of wings level so I used that instead. Got that maneuver done and then we climbed up for the others. The chandelles were always my favorite, so of course those were easiest. Stalls, slow flight, steep turns, emergency spiral, diversion, lost procedures, accelerated stall and back home. Definitely a Private ride on steroids. Again, not a ton to write home about, it was right down the ACS. Lots of fun!

The Commercial was certainly a fun one. I arrived at the DPE’s office at 1pm and he was ready to get started. The logbook audit, paperwork, test overview etc., took about 30 minutes or so and then the oral began. It was definitely right down the ACS and lots of stuff that’s more or less review from Private Pilot, with the whole privileges of the CPL certificate thrown in there. Calculating a weight and balance, performance charts, flight planning, lots of weather etc. Not really a whole lot to write home about for the oral.

The flight portion was most interesting. I did the preflight and we hopped in and did a short field takeoff out of FGU and this was where the dead reckoning and pilotage began. We flew up to RZR and I was off by about 2.5 minutes on the time I originally told him (with standards). He took me smack dab over RZR at 3000 and pulled my throttle and said to put him on the thousands. This was the emergency descent and also counted for my power-off 180, which was really a power off 360 (;)). From here we did the series of landings and then departed to the east for the 8’s on pylons. I picked two perfectly spaced silos, but I think the pressure of having the DPE aboard made me loose the second pylon as I rolled out, so luckily a nice high tension power line was right below and was within the 3-5 seconds of wings level so I used that instead. Got that maneuver done and then we climbed up for the others. The chandelles were always my favorite, so of course those were easiest. Stalls, slow flight, steep turns, emergency spiral, diversion, lost procedures, accelerated stall and back home. Definitely a Private ride on steroids. Again, not a ton to write home about, it was right down the ACS. Lots of fun!
“…said to put him on the thousands…”
What does that mean?

“…said to put him on the thousands…”
What does that mean?

I've never called them "the thousands", but from context, I'm quite sure it's the thousand-foot markers on the runway. "Thousand-foot markers" is what I usually call them. Some say "Captain's bars" after the Air Force/Army/Marine Corps rank insignia for Captains.

Their are good DPE and great DPE you don't get to that level unless you are good, and it's a long road to get their. The last thing any DPE wants is any CFI not wanting to use them for any reason, they walk a fine line as they need CFI's as much as they need them.

Does that mean your point is at the start, middle or the end of the thousands? :cool:

Congrats!!
Well, per the ACS, it’s +200,-0. I planted it near the middle of them, aiming for the 500ft markers.

The thousand foot markers are 160 ft long. I teach my students that their point is the beginning of the marker and so they have to land somewhere ON the markers. Since the standard is -0/+200, that actually gives them 40 extra feet in case they float a little long, but I usually don't tell them that...

Kind of like how you don't aim for +/-100 on steep turns, you aim for +/- 50, or 20, to give yourself some wiggle room if you get distracted.

Congrats.
I am working on mine and hoping to do the check-ride next month since I am traveling a lot this month.

I guess I did it all backwards. I did multi-commercial then single engine add on later in the week.

But still the commercial training and check rides were a blast.!!

I hadn't done chandelles for years until just before the check ride. Mine passed but were a little sloppy, so the examiner asked if he could demonstrate one, which of course I approved. His was even sloppier. He chuckled and said, "Oh, well." and we moved on to the next task.

Back