cost of overhaul of the 0-300

Some precision measurement, some NDT, some mandatory replacement parts check ADs and SBs and reassemble per instructions with a new gasket set.

Replace parts that fail the above with new, serviceable, or farm out repair work...

I got a good start on assembly today

Attachments

• DSCN3524.JPG
    DSCN3524.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN3525.JPG
    DSCN3525.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3526.JPG
    DSCN3526.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3527.jpg
    DSCN3527.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3528.JPG
    DSCN3528.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3529.JPG
    DSCN3529.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3530.JPG
    DSCN3530.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 54
I'm kinda jealous of the reasonably clean shop the engines are sitting in myself.

That's my hangar at BVS, I bring the jeep in and close the door and turn on the heat.

I try to keep it clean.

Last edited:
Don't be jealous, just break out the bucks. :)
The problem I have in my house is I controll the airplane and my wife controls the bank account. If my engine passes annual every year I am stuck with it. My transponder didn't do to well so it was replaced. I married smarter then me (not hard to do) so I just play the game.

Assembly pretty much done.

Attachments

• DSCN3531.JPG
    DSCN3531.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 75
Hey Tom, just curious, do you still overhaul engines?

What about the cost of overhaul or replacement of the mags, new harness and plugs, rebuilt carburetor, starter, starter clutch -or drive on the "D", repair or replacement of the rotted out sumo, rework of the rods, replacement of any bad gears........?
Send me junk, you get a bigger bill just like you. accessories are just that, you want them, you buy them.

Almost. It's all a marketing game.

Overhauled - contains used parts that are at serviceable limits.

Overhauled to new limits - very similar to a factory rebuilt engine except the total time clock is not reset and the engine still has a history and old logbooks.

Rebuilt - Can only be performed by the OEM. Can also contain used parts as long as they meet new limits. ONLY the OEM can issue new logbooks and "zero time" the engine.

Factory New - Should not contain any used parts.

Remanufactured - doesn't have an official definition by the FAA and can mean whatever the manufacture wants, usually overhauled.
That is not true, read the rest of the regulation FAR 43.2 dictates what REBUILT means and any A&P can complete an overhaul to the requirement

Thanks for posting this. I bet a lot of folks did not know this. Those that do and repair your engine without telling someone about these guidelines....:nono:

I simply tell the owner to read FAR 43.2, when they have questions ask.

Thing to remember your engine is not overhauled if the return to service entry doesn't say it is.

for very few individuals, If I can't service the engine after installation I will not do the overhaul.
Ok, thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I am in CA and have been looking for a decent mechanic for a few months to no avail.

Back