Coronavirus and Sun n Fun

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Not discussing the merits of the hysteria surrounding this thing directly but I've read a few news reports lately that some events are being canceled because of it (to include talks about the upcoming Olympics, etc). Has anyone heard any issues with Sun n Fun this year? Was hoping to make it down again for a bit.

I will as well...two of us. Just wondering if anyone heard any negative impacts to the event from this thing. Guessing they may not have a record breaking year?

You flying your Bonanza in?

nope...driving down to the folks place in Palm Coast then the wife and folks are driving down.

I'm planning on flying down down for the week, spending some quality time as booth bunny at the friendly aviation administration safety center. Considering the demographic of Sun n Fun, I do see how it could be a risk, but then again, life goes on. I don't plan to do much differently other than keep some purell on hand and skip handshakes. If things get real bad in Florida I wouldn't be surprised to see it canceled.

Off topic, but my company has stopped sending employees to off site training because of the virus. Sort of funny because 200 of the 425 employees have to travel by air to get to work.

I’m boycotting this year over the treatment of the homebuilt group, so I doesn’t matter to me.

Off topic, but my company has stopped sending employees to off site training because of the virus. Sort of funny because 200 of the 425 employees have to travel by air to get to work.

Make 'em swim... :p

Last year the homebuilt parking was moved to the far south east corner, with really no preparation, uneven ground, no transportation and no facilities. This year I’ve been told it’s being moved again even farther out. It’s apparent that the powers that be do not really want the homebuilt group, I’m not sure the even wants people flying in at all, you notice the name change to aviation expo from fly in? The show is now nothing more than a profit center for the stem education program now. I wrote an email to the management and their response was basically, they don’t care, it’s all about the dollar and I think they don’t think the homebuilt group is the demographic they want to attract. Time will tell, but until they start treating the groups that built the show up to what it is, better, I will take my dollars elsewhere.

Considering that Austin just canceled SXSW essentially at the last minute (one week before it was supposed to start), I'd say as long as this situation persists you pretty much won't know if major events like these are going to occur until they actually occur.

Home built parking shows just east of rwy 5...is that where it was last year?
https://d2uowj5bno3yjz.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/18143827/map_dnld_web_snf19.jpg
i was told that is being moved farther south, where the parking area is on that map. an area that is even farther from the center of the event. its farther than the camping areas. amazing that the show is less than a month away and they do not even have an updated map on their website. they flat out do not want us there, so I for one will give them what they want. last year I told the oil vendor they need to tell management that they were loosing a sale because I would not tote a case of oil better than a half mile to get it to my airplane. the powers that be need to hear that if the homebuilders do not show up, the vendors are right behind them in leaving. the rise in numbers of crap dealers (flag poles, pots and pans, massage chairs ect) is proof that the airplane vendors are leaving. just look at the number of vendors that have left over the last few years.

The Formula 1 race in Bahrain will be held without spectators; the one in China has been cancelled.
Whilst there is a bit of media hype on this (and every other story) the death rate from Corona is apparently as much as 35 times the death rate from run-of-the- mill flu.

I think since I am approaching the 70 age group that seems to be part of the most affected I am canceling my plans for Sun N Fun. Still hopeful for Oshkosh though!

https://blog.sprucehealth.com/coronavirus-whos-going-to-die/

COVID-19-Death-Rate-by-Age.png

COVID-19-Cases-by-Age.png

I'm still planning to attend, sadly driving in as always....
&
I'll expect to see lots of purell dispensers and I'll be using them!

Last year the homebuilt parking was moved to the far south east corner, with really no preparation, uneven ground, no transportation and no facilities. This year I’ve been told it’s being moved again even farther out. It’s apparent that the powers that be do not really want the homebuilt group, I’m not sure the even wants people flying in at all, you notice the name change to aviation expo from fly in? The show is now nothing more than a profit center for the stem education program now. I wrote an email to the management and their response was basically, they don’t care, it’s all about the dollar and I think they don’t think the homebuilt group is the demographic they want to attract. Time will tell, but until they start treating the groups that built the show up to what it is, better, I will take my dollars elsewhere.

interesting. I've not paid a whole lot of attention to any of it since I generally just go and try to find enjoyment in it where I can and not dwell on negatives I see.... I did notice a bunch of years back a huge push over a couple years to distance themselves from the EAA ....or was it the EAA distancing from sun n fun? Either way, I've also noticed what seemed like a shift in "feel" of the event. It was subtle and I wasn't actively flying for a long time so while attending most years I was not as focused so I just sorta figured a lot of it could have been either my perspective shifting a tiny bit towards that of a general public non-pilot attendee...or my perception shifting from the kid in a candy store to the guy working in the candy store (since by this time I've lost count how many years I've attended + several visits to Airventure which isn't a fair comparison!)

Anyway, it has recently felt a bit different to me....but I am very much looking forward to a few days there 'camping' in my RV and trying to do a deep dive back into the latest of aviation. By then I hope to have at least finished my BFR and have knocked off the rust to a VFR level anyway.

I think since I am approaching the 70 age group that seems to be part of the most affected I am canceling my plans for Sun N Fun. Still hopeful for Oshkosh though!
I find the age issue rather amusing. On day N, Sam (random name) is 69 and as per CDC rules, merely elderly. The next day, on his birthday, Sam turns 70 and the CDC declares that Sam shouldn't be in crowds, should stay home, should avoid flying ....yada yada yada...

...I did notice a bunch of years back a huge push over a couple years to distance themselves from the EAA ....or was it the EAA distancing from sun n fun?
The latter. There was a fatal accident at the Arlington Fly In a few years back, and EAA ended up as a co-defendant (and, of course, the party with the deeper pockets).

IIRC, the plaintiff initially won a ~$8M settlement. I think it was reduced on appeal.

Anyway, after that, EAA stopped affiliation with other fly-ins.

Ron Wanttaja

It's interesting to note that even here in Seattle, events are being postponed, but for surprisingly short periods. Along the lines of two-three weeks.

Ron Wanttaja

http://snfflyin.com/wp-content/uploads/Public-Health-and-Safety-SUN-n-FUN-Newsletter.pdf

From their announcement:

The 2020 SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo will proceed as scheduled. While we are aware of and monitoring the current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 Virus, the event will continue as planned. As the primary fundraiser for the Aerospace Center for Excellence, we remain dedicated to creating limitless opportunities for today’s youth but are also committed to public health and safety. SUN ‘n FUN is working closely on a daily basis with local, state, and federal agencies to plan for a safe event with appropriate precautions and safeguards in place. As a result of this information and the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for large events and festivals, we are proceeding with SUN ‘n FUN 2020 with the health and safety of our attendees, staff, and volunteers, as our top priority.

I am staying home, wrapping myself in bubble wrap and locking myself in a closet. I don’t want to catch anything.

Last edited:
Good on them for going forward. With some exhibitors starting to pull the plug, I have to imagine more will follow. Which will in turn likely motivate some attendees to skip this year. Which will in turn likely motivate more exhibitors to opt out. Lather, rinse, repeat. Could end up being a great opportunity for those who always wanted to see S&F but never went because they hate crowds.

Yep, while individual attendees can make their own choice, companies make the decisions for their employees. The company I work for has instituted travel restrictions - no trade shows or other large meetings. And I just learned that one of our employees at HQ in Germany has the virus.

College spring breaks have started in the US. More virus pollination gonna take place this month I’m thinkin.

Let's be honest, the whole virus is blown out of proportion. It's too late to stop it's spread so unless you plan to lock your self at home and never leave or bring anything in from the outside world you really have no control over your fate. It's safe to assume only 50% or less cases are reported. Only the sickest patients are identified or ones that are known to have been in contact with one. The rest of the population will just assume it's a cold or allergy symptoms and will resume life as normal. If only this amount of care was put into preventing the flu so many more lives could be saved..

So yes I will be there. Yes I expect to have to walk a lot these are kind of givens at any large event.

Let's be honest, the whole virus is blown out of proportion.
May well be true. Doesn't change the fact that more vendors are likely to opt out. Doesn't change the fact that more attendees are likely to decide to just stay home.

http://snfflyin.com/wp-content/uploads/Public-Health-and-Safety-SUN-n-FUN-Newsletter.pdf

From their announcement:

The 2020 SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo will proceed as scheduled. While we are aware of and monitoring the current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 Virus, the event will continue as planned. As the primary fundraiser for the Aerospace Center for Excellence, we remain dedicated to creating limitless opportunities for today’s youth but are also committed to public health and safety. SUN ‘n FUN is working closely on a daily basis with local, state, and federal agencies to plan for a safe event with appropriate precautions and safeguards in place. As a result of this information and the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for large events and festivals, we are proceeding with SUN ‘n FUN 2020 with the health and safety of our attendees, staff, and volunteers, as our top priority.

:yeahthat: I volunteer at S-n-F with my EAA Chapter and it's full speed ahead -- no plans to cancel the event.

Good thing, airplanes pollute the air to much anyway.

Back