Coradine LogTen Pro X (I'm sick of giving them money)

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
So, I just got the email from Coradine announcing the new version of their software.

http://coradine.com/logten-pro-x/

First, let me say that I have loved their software. It's been expensive. But it's also been the best that I've seen.

This new version, however, may be the straw that breaks the camel's back with me.

I made my first LogTen Pro purchases in June of 2011. At that time the Mac app and the iPad app and the iPhone app were all separate purchases. I couldn't afford to buy all three, so I bought the Mac app and the Ipad app. Those purchases cost me $199.18 ($59.99 for the iPad app + $149.99 for the Mac app + Tax - a 10% coupon code for the Mac app).

Fast forward to May of 2014. I upgrade my laptop and try to install the software that I've purchased. The versions of the apps that I had installed are not downloadable anymore. So I look at the new version. Pleased that they've unified the iPad and iPhone apps I decide to bite the bullet and upgrade. It's expensive, but I decide that upgrading will be less trouble than trying to move binaries around. So, I drop another $192.58 for the new versions ($79.99 for the iOS app + $99.99 for the Mac app + tax).

So, by May of 2014 I've spent $391.76 on this software. Ouch! It's expensive but, once again, it's worked well...and it was the best that I'd seen.

In September I saw that they emailed out a notice to iOS 8 upgraders warning them not to update to iCloud Drive because it would break syncing. That made sense since other vendors were fighting the same issues. Without OS X Yosemite out, iCloud Drive couldn't be used between iOS and OS X. I assumed that they'd announce support as soon as Yosemite shipped.

Fast forward to today. I get an email from Coradine announcing the new version LogTen Pro X. The email says that I get a 50% discount off of the new annual subscription as long as I buy it in the next two weeks. Wow! How generous! :rolleyes:

I look at the Mac App store to see if they've released a new version of LogTen Pro v6 that supports iCloud Drive only to find out that LogTen Pro is no longer in the Mac app store.

So I head over to iTunes to check out the iOS app store. The only version in there is the new one LogTen Pro X. So they've completely abandoned the version that I bought five months ago. The version that I spent almost $200 to upgrade to!

Wow. I'm floored. It appears as if they're no longer going to provide upgrades to software that I've spent almost $400 to purchase. It also appears that they have no plans to support iCloud Drive syncing between iOS 8 and Yosemite on version 6. So I'm stuck choosing between these alternatives.

1. I can upgrade to LogTen Pro X
  2. I can keep using the version that I've purchased but will not be able to upgrade use iCloud Drive if I want to sync using iCloud.
  3. I can abandon the $400 that I've spent on their software and find a competing product.

Real nice, Coradine.

Attachments

• coradine1.png
    coradine1.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 64
  • coradine2.png
    coradine2.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 49
  • coradine3.png
    coradine3.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Re: Coradine LogTen Pro X

I'm pretty well done with Coradine as well, I absolutely love their software but I have been nickle and dimed over and over. They seem to think it's OK to release a new version as a new application then remove the old application from the store you paid for.

I've paid Coradine $447.20 for Logbook software that they keep forcing me to give them more money for.

The lesson is, if you purchase software from Coradine, you can expect that it'll just disappear from the store any day and when they happens you will have to purchase it again.

I just gave them $107 last month that is now worthless. YGTBSM.

Sept 7th 2014 - Logten Pro 6 v6.5.1 - $106.99
Feb 7 2014 - Logten Pro Universal Pilot Logbook v6.5.1 - $79.99
Dec 17 2011 - Logten Pro Pilot Logbook v6.0 - $80.24
Dec 11 2011 - Logten Pro Pilots Logbook v1.3.1 - $79.99
Jan 13 2011 - Logten Pro for Mac - $99.99

I haven't used new features all I've been trying to do is keep my damn logbook working and it has taken all those purchases to do it.

Well, this sucks. I am in the same boat -- purchased in 2011. I haven't upgraded since I've been waiting to upgrade to Yosemite. But this is disappointing.

What will you do? What other alternatives are there?

Disclaimer: I get nothing for this.

I've been using Dauntless' Safelog for years. Originally it was only on Windows but they now have web-based, iOS, mac & Android. And they all play nicely together. As long as you have a current subscription, updates are free. Altho the 1 year subscription seems rather steep ($50) the various multi-year options brings it down to $18/yr. Customer support is excellent, by the way.

It looks like they're moving to a subscription model. Pricing in the app is $6.99/mo or $34.99/year. I assume that's reflective of the 50% discount that they were referring to in their email. So it appears that the new pricing is $70/year for their logbook software.

I don't understand this LogTen Pro X pricing structure, because it's not on the website.

Is the software "free" then you have to buy an annual membership now?

I don't understand this LogTen Pro X pricing structure, because it's not on the website.

Is the software "free" then you have to buy an annual membership now?

Looks like we posted at the exact same time (see above).

Free for up to 40 logged hours ("free for students"...as if all students are finished in 40 hours).

Monthly or annual subscription after that.

Looks like we posted at the exact same time (see above).

Free for up to 40 logged hours ("free for students"...as if all students are finished in 40 hours).

Monthly or annual subscription after that.

I see. So basically as long as you keep paying the annual subscription, you get "free" updates?

Does that mean that if you stop paying the subscription fee, you get locked out of your own logbook?!

I see. So basically as long as you keep paying the annual subscription, you get "free" updates?

Does that mean that if you stop paying the subscription fee, you get locked out of your own logbook?!

Well, given their history, I'm not sure that we can draw any assumptions about what the future might hold.

I'd hope that it just keeps you from adding new flights. But I'm not putting any money on it! :hairraise:

Is it totally stupid to learn how to use Excel and just make one yourself?

I built my own logbook database in Access. I'm more than happy to provide a copy.

Me personally? This has nothing to do with the software aspect which I know nothing about. This is just a ethics thing; If I don't like the way someone does business, I will typically not continue to give them my custom, even if I will sustain a short term loss by abandoning their system. There are enough software companies out there that provide much better long term support and upgrades, I'm sure you can find one. It is up to us as consumers to put the bad actors out of business and let the market know what we demand of them. Sometimes we have to chose between that and the cheapest short term solution.

Yeah, that. I've been using myflightbook for several years now. Works on the web, works on my iPad & iPhone. If I recall correctly it work don my android phone as well. Exports to csv file for backup.

I'm not a professional so it may lack features that you need, but it's worked well for me.

John

Please don't use the words "Access" and "database" in the same sentence.

Why? Because it doesn't force me to remember whether I need an inner, outer, left, or right join and allows me to create queries visually?

Do you still use line editor to create files too?

I've been using the same Access database for 17 years and it runs my entire company, and does more than a $60,000 software platform will do.

Why? Because it doesn't force me to remember whether I need an inner, outer, left, or right join and allows me to create queries visually?

No we use real databases where databases are needed :) And yes..I use vi for basically everything text.

vi is a GREAT text editor.

Access is a TERRIBLE database.

vi is still my favorite code editor. For C/C++ anyway. I don't want to retrain my fingers.

John

No we use real databases where databases are needed :) And yes..I use vi for basically everything text.

Like I said, 17 years, same database. Though I have added things and streamlined it in the mean time.

In an Access fan. :eek:
Would love a copy of your db, Ed.
Might just have enough time to escape the next Dauntless renewal...

vi is a GREAT text editor.

Access is a TERRIBLE database.

vim is a great editor. vi is passable as a last resort. ;)

Oh about Coradine... Screw them. Same boat here.

Frankly I'm thinking I'll just go back to paper. It works.

I use Pilotica. It's free, and runs on / synchs with iPad and iPhone.

Edit: www.Pilotica.com

You guys are crazy to pay that much for the hassle of using an electronic logbook. I record flight time with my phone, or guess times, and write it in a paper logbook when I get home. Logbook lives on my desk takes 30 seconds to fill it out.

You guys are crazy to pay that much for the hassle of using an electronic logbook. I record flight time with my phone, or guess times, and write it in a paper logbook when I get home. Logbook lives on my desk takes 30 seconds to fill it out.

When you're doing a lot of instruction in many many different airplanes it's nice to save all the details of the flight on the iPad at the same time I endorse their logbook. No way I will remember it all later. One quick digital entry and my record keeping is done.

I also use it for tracking all endorsements I give along with maintaining TSA documentation and other record keeping things.

I don't even log to the paper logbook. I kick out a sticker the same size as my logbook in the exact same format and stick them in my paper logbook.

:yeahthat:

I got sick of being nickel and dimed on logbook software. Looked at Coradine but saw they $50-$100 you to death.

It's not worth it. MFB ain't as pretty, but it does EVERYTHING I've ever wanted my other products to do and much more. Plus it it's FREE!! (although I voluntarily choose to support it....it's still a fraction of my previous product's cost with way more features.)

Just switch and be done with it.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I was strongly considering purchasing the software. Even if it will be hassle free from here on in, I have no interest in giving money to a company that has so little consideration for their customers.

:yeahthat:

I got sick of being nickel and dimed on logbook software. Looked at Coradine but saw they $50-$100 you to death.

It's not worth it. MFB ain't as pretty, but it does EVERYTHING I've ever wanted my other products to do and much more. Plus it it's FREE!! (although I voluntarily choose to support it....it's still a fraction of my previous product's cost with way more features.)

Just switch and be done with it.

And, if if doesn't do something you want, a quick e-mail generally has a feature added within a day or two...seriosly.

Yeah, I've kicked a few bucks in...I get automatic daily backups of my logbook to Dropbox.

Forgot about instructing, yeah logging that was a pia, I could see going electronic for that.
When you're doing a lot of instruction in many many different airplanes it's nice to save all the details of the flight on the iPad at the same time I endorse their logbook. No way I will remember it all later. One quick digital entry and my record keeping is done.

I also use it for tracking all endorsements I give along with maintaining TSA documentation and other record keeping things.

I don't even log to the paper logbook. I kick out a sticker the same size as my logbook in the exact same format and stick them in my paper logbook.

I built my own logbook database in Access. I'm more than happy to provide a copy.

More or less

I built a excel sheet and have it in google docs. I can access and add to it from any device, back it up as multiple file types, it's all encrypted, and I'm less worried about Google vanishing like a cart in the wind compared to "BigBubbas Loggin' App"

It's also free :D

And, if if doesn't do something you want, a quick e-mail generally has a feature added within a day or two...seriosly.

Yeah, I've kicked a few bucks in...I get automatic daily backups of my logbook to Dropbox.
Seriously indeed! :)

I kept telling them they needed to charge something for this, even if it was just for a small enhancement, so those of us who wanted to would have a reason to chip in.

Best single feature (other than the fantastic developer): the downloadable and updatable Excel spreadsheet. That's the piece that protects us in case he goes away.

The $25? Don't need to even worry about updating the spreadsheet periodically because of the daily upload to Dropbox.

How long you been doing that?

Why would my log book sync with your devices? :wink2:

It's actually a good question. Have you gone the extra step for online access?

I have an self-made Access logbook too. Actually it stared in Paradox for DOS (which gives you an idea how old it is!). I still keep it up to date as a backup to MyFlightBook but don't continue to update the "app" because I'm too lazy at this point in my life to learn how to set it up for online access (and I don't offer it to others because I don't think it's polished enough - I still create queries for special purposes I don't include in the UI, the main reason I continue to keep it current).

Attachments

• MFLog.PNG
    MFLog.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 38
  • MFLog2.PNG
    MFLog2.PNG
    56.2 KB · Views: 35
Back