CaptGully

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptGully
Hello everyone, currently in need of a CFI with 1000+ hour total time, 250+ hour retract gear, and 25 hours in a Comanche 250. Insurance is requiring 25hrs dual with such CFI before solo, I am located in Central Florida on KDED airfield. Anyone who qualifies and is near/knows of someone please reach out, thanks!

Seems like those requirements say something about the perceived risk. Can you get the hours on your own then reapply?

i would help you out, except all my comanche time is in one with two engines
I think I’ll reach out to quote agency tomorrow and see if that would work, finding someone has been a STRUGGLE lol. Thanks for reaching out! I’ll keep you updated

I definitely check all the boxes, and then some. Unfortunately, I'm in America's hand and not America's dong. :D

Now, unless the OP wants to purchase two tickets to Florida....

.... cuz there ain't no way my wife is going to let me go to Florida without her. :rofl:

The Piper Comanche Group on FB has a list of instructors. Off hand, there is a gal named Sue Folkringa who I think is around Ft. Lauderdale, though I am not 100% on exactly where in FL she is.

I did my flight review with EdFred in his Comanche having never flown one before and not flow at all in over two years before that. Other than me consistently landing 1.5 feet to the right of centerline it went pretty well. I was a just under 500 hour pilot with 80 hours of complex at the time.
25 hours is overkill unless you have zero complex time. 5 hours would be good.
If you don't mind me asking, how many hours total and how many complex do you have?

Oh, and I can vouch for EdFred being a good guy to work with on a flight review.

Hello everyone, currently in need of a CFI with 1000+ hour total time, 250+ hour retract gear, and 25 hours in a Comanche 250. Insurance is requiring 25hrs dual with such CFI before solo, I am located in Central Florida on KDED airfield. Anyone who qualifies and is near/knows of someone please reach out, thanks!
It would be interesting to know your experience level going into the Comanche that the insurers want 25hrs of dual before they will cover you. Particularly total time, complex time and high performance time. If you are instrument rated, does some of your 25hrs have to include an IPC in the Comanche?

I know that some insurers are requiring pilots to have annual IPC in their Cirrus.

I think it's a moving target. When I bought my Comanche with 300/0/0 it was 10 hours. But strangely, when I just bought my Seneca, there was no dual requirement. One company (IAT) wanted an annual FR in make/model but the rest had no restrictions. I only had 40 hours multi, but a lot of complex.

I think the complex time drives a lot. Most claims are gear up which can easily total a plane.

For my 10 hours we did 2 flights in the area for the complex/HP sign-off and basic aircraft handling stuff, then an 8 hour day where we flew to the Rock and Roll HOF for lunch with a dozen approaches round trip. We accomplished a bFR, IPC, Wings level, and insurance sign-off, although all the insurance company cared about was hours. It was fun, I'd recommend having fun with it, though 25 hours seems excessive.

Back