Cleared Visual - Question

I call the field and traffic everytime in ORD. Either way, it’s going to be a 30 mile final for the ILS or the visual approach. Doesn’t matter what I say lol.

Especially if you're a commuter and it's your last leg, and your going home flight departs in 30 minutes. :)

There are situations where I'm glad the rest of the users don't share your same feelings. If you are landing at ORD for example, we routinely are shooting the IA to the middle runway and using visuals to the outboards. There are times when the final is pushed out to a point where you can't see the airport but EVERYONE is reporting the preceding aircraft in sight. We have to have you cleared for the visual prior to losing 1000ft with the parallel traffic. If you are getting close to that point and don't see the airport, you will be broken out and re-sequenced. It's not a penalty, it's required for the efficiency to the airport and for the company that writes your check. You are PIC of your bird and I'm not trying to suggest you give up your right, I'm just glad that most other jet drivers don't share your sentiment. If others are losing them 75% of the time, they aren't telling us that.
I get that... in the daylight aircraft (as you know because you also fly yourself) can be very hard to find. Take your eyes of for a moment to verify gear locked and it’s easy to lose them in my experience. While traffic at night is much easier to see, I find as they descend they get mixed in with city lights... and I often lose them.
I actually have a buddy who is a retired Atlanta center controller who advised me never to call traffic in sight. For whatever that’s worth...

I get that... in the daylight aircraft (as you know because you also fly yourself) can be very hard to find. Take your eyes of for a moment to verify gear locked and it’s easy to lose them in my experience. While traffic at night is much easier to see, I find as they descend they get mixed in with city lights... and I often lose them.
I actually have a buddy who is a retired Atlanta center controller who advised me never to call traffic in sight. For whatever that’s worth...

Not sure why a controller would tell you that. Not reporting traffic only makes things more difficult on both sides. You’d never be able to run VAs into a busy airport without aircraft reporting one another in sight.

Reporting visual on preceding traffic will allow ATC to clear you for the approach and takes the responsibility of sep out of the controller’s hands. Don’t know if RC does it in his area but in ATL, you’ll see a whole train of aircraft on final with a V in the radar tag. That V signifies visual sep with the preceding aircraft. The V is a reminder for the controller but it also helps the QA guy when they investigate a “snitch patch” (loss of radar sep) report.

So yeah, when pilots are reporting preceding traffic, it makes for a far more efficient system.

Last edited:
Not sure why a controller would tell you that. Not reporting traffic only makes things more difficult on both sides. You’d never be able to run VAs into a busy airport without aircraft reporting one another in sight.

Reporting visual on preceding traffic will allow ATC to clear you for the approach and takes the responsibility of sep out of the controller’s hands. Don’t know if RC does it in his area but in ATL, you’ll see a whole train of aircraft on final with a V in the tag. That V signifies visual sep with the preceding aircraft. The V is a reminder for the controller but it also helps the QA guy when they investigate a “snitch patch” (loss of radar sep) report.

So yeah, when pilots are reporting preceding traffic, it makes for a far more efficient system.
Yes it does, but it puts more responsibility on the pilot. I believe that is the point.

To be clear, if I was sure I would keep them in sight I would take that responsibility. Years of experience says I cannot guarantee that. It’s not laziness, just reality.

I'd rather hear "Follow the Learjet ahead, S-turns approved for spacing..."
Are you suggesting Lear pilots are idiots, or just that they fly a final 40kts slower than you on final?

I also fly on Pilot Edge to keep my procedural stuff in the front of my mind during my gaps in flying.

Just out of curiosity.... what are you using for your sim setup besides Pilot Edge? Was debating getting a home SIM setup just for the helluv it.

I'd rather hear "Follow the Learjet ahead, S-turns approved for spacing..."
I messed up my approach a few months ago into MSP. We were cleared for a visual and following a Citation. I turned base where I’d normally turn if I was following another airliner. Spacing got too close and had to go around. I forgot those things have a ref speed of like 90 knots!

I messed up my approach a few months ago into MSP. We were cleared for a visual and following a Citation. I turned base where I’d normally turn if I was following another airliner. Spacing got too close and had to go around. I forgot those things have a ref speed of like 90 knots!
Be careful here... that doesn’t hold true for most modern day citations.
When people were told to follow me, the Citation, they got frustrated and said “okay, we’ll follow the slowtation”.
Apparantly they were just ignorant, as I was in the fastest civilian jet in existence at the time.. The Citation X.

Be careful here... that doesn’t hold true for most modern day citations.
When people were told to follow me, the Citation, they got frustrated and said “okay, we’ll follow the slowtation”.
Apparantly they were just ignorant, as I was in the fastest civilian jet in existence at the time.. The Citation X.
Yea I was mostly joking. We were following a straight wing citation though.

Just out of curiosity.... what are you using for your sim setup besides Pilot Edge? Was debating getting a home SIM setup just for the helluv it.

FSX, Saitek pedals and TPM, GoFlight radios and electric panel, desktop aviator rotary encoders, and Emuteq Garmin GNS 530

If I did it over again, the one piece I would do without is the GNS 530. But honestly, all the hardware accessories I have get used on every sim flight so I'm glad to have them.

I actually have a buddy who is a retired Atlanta center controller who advised me never to call traffic in sight.
Not sure why a controller would tell you that.
The key here is that it was a center controller. A terminal controller would NEVER tell you that. Center guys can't use visual separation in the majority of their airspace (AOA FL180) and most importantly not a single one anywhere in the country vectors the final to a major airport.

Back