Cirrus SR22 2017 here are the REAL changes.

Fly whatever you want dude. I don't care.

This! Why does it matter to others what someone wants to own and fly? Sure we make jokes about the Cirrus, and in my case I am just joking. Sure they're expensive, so is a new Bo, Cessna, Piper etc. Some love tail draggers, some like classic old planes, some like Warbirds, some like turbines. I like 'em all. Someone who has the means to purchase a Cirrus should not be ridiculed and laughed at just like someone who buys a C150 shouldn't.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :yesnod:

It's allowed, it's ok. But it's not credible. It's heresay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsengle - I have 1000+ hours in a combination of other GA airplanes from well before Cirrus sold their first certified plane. I have time in Bonanzas and other Beeches, all kinds of Cessna pistons, Mooneys, Pipers, etc... I started flight training when I was 13 (after 9 years of hassling my parents to let me learn) and soloed on 16th birthday with PPL on my 17th. I have always loved flying and would have LOVED to own a lowly Cherokee 140 or Cessna 150 back in the day. Now I have 2000+ hours in SR22 and I'm very happy with that airplane - it is the right choice for me and I have plenty of time in other types so I do know what I'm (not) missing. Oddly, you will find very few threads where a bunch of Cirrus guys gang up on and disparage some other aircraft type - certainly, I have NEVER engaged in that kind of behavior. I am somehow able to grasp that other people have different priorities and preferences than me without feeling some strange need to put them down and show them the error of their ways.

Out of curiosity, how much time do you have in the SR22? Not that I generally agree with your point that one has to at least fly another plane to have a point of view on it (although I'm sure that is exactly the case with 90% of the Cirrus bashers on here) but I'm curious in your case because I think you did say you have some Cirrus time.

I don't care what people fly. I don't care for completely uninformed opinions though. Sure if you have a ton of time in different types I'd love to hear your thoughts. But one of the stereotypes of the Cirrus is the new PPL that is so enamored of the glass cockpit and shiny features that he or she jumps straight into ownership without much experience or perspective. (I know more than one that fits this profile)

I have time in Mooney, Cessna, Piper, Beech Bonanza, and yes a few hours of Cirrus. I liked the cockpit and disliked the control feel... I have about 1000total time. Been flying for 20 years (with a hiatus)

I'd like to get some TTx time...

I don't care what people fly. I don't care for completely uninformed opinions though. Sure if you have a ton of time in different types I'd love to hear your thoughts. But one of the stereotypes of the Cirrus is the new PPL that is so enamored of the glass cockpit and shiny features that he or she jumps straight into ownership without much experience or perspective.

I have time in Mooney, Cessna, Piper, Beech Bonanza, and yes a few hours of Cirrus. I liked the cockpit and disliked the control feel...

I'd like to get some TTx time...

You advocate for having an informed opinion and not commenting on something you don't know well enough and then go on to support a stereotype? Does that not seem weird to you? For reference, here is the definition of a stereotype:
"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

So if I understand you correctly, your argument is essentially that:
A) people who have lots of experience in their one plane (Cirrus SR2X) and defend that plane are not credible because they don't know other plane X (Mooney or whatever)
B) people who like anything else but a Cirrus are most likely right because they have experience in that particular plane (regardless of whether they have ever seen the inside of a Cirrus)
C) Cirrus owners are by and large not very smart, too much money relative to brains, uninformed buyers because... stereotype.

Ok, well you really have me...

Chute Rudy.....don't feed the troll bro. btw...You have a beautiful plane. :D

thank you....from a stupid Bonanza ower. :confused:

Well, after finally logging some time in one, I happen to like the Cirrus and hopefully can afford to switch over to one at some point. I loved the stick, the smoothness of the ride (was very gusty both days and handled it way better than the Cessnas and Pipers I'm used to), the extra power, the comfort of the plane and, yes, even knowing that CAPS was there if needed. I actually know a pilot who likely would not be alive today if not for CAPS - they tried to aim for a small field by a school (only option in dense urban area), but couldn't make it and pulled at ~600 ft. No injuries.

I'm not really big on the full panel stuff, though. I like the older ones with the six pack panel and the additional screens to the right. Excited that I'll be spending about 12-14 hours flying across the country in one with two other pilots later this week.

RudyP said: "...I have always loved flying and would have LOVED to own a lowly Cherokee 140 or Cessna 150 back in the day..."

<------- scratches Rudy's name off Christmas list. :mad:
Ah man!

I knew that would get me in trouble, I should have worded it differently - what I meant were the lowly versions (beat up 30 year old planes with 15,000 hours of primary instruction in dodgy condition) that I was learning on. Not that I thought they were lowly airplanes if you had a nice one. I used to daydream and draw Cherokees while bored in class constantly in high school.

You advocate for having an informed opinion and not commenting on something you don't know well enough and then go on to support a stereotype? Does that not seem weird to you? For reference, here is the definition of a stereotype:
"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

So if I understand you correctly, your argument is essentially that:
A) people who have lots of experience in their one plane (Cirrus SR2X) and defend that plane are not credible because they don't know other plane X (Mooney or whatever)
B) people who like anything else but a Cirrus are most likely right because they have experience in that particular plane (regardless of whether they have ever seen the inside of a Cirrus)
C) Cirrus owners are by and large not very smart, too much money relative to brains, uninformed buyers because... stereotype.

Ok, well you really have me...

A) people who have only flown one type can't credibly say it's better than a type they have zero experience with. I owned a type. Then I got to fly another type. Was a revelation, and I moved up. You don't know until you try something.

B) nope never said that. I've been in a bunch of types including Cirrus. I'd say the same thing, and have, about someone shopping for a 172 after their private check ride without doing some homework. 172s are priced up because people just buy what they know. Not informed decisions...

C) I'm saying that that is a stereotype and having someone say that it's superior and then turn out to not have flown competing types only sadly reinforces the stereotype.

So did I answer your questions? I'm all for a vigorous competition in GA. Cirrus is very successful. I'm old school and want my wheels to retract and I like the speed which comes with that.... every plane has pluses and minuses some more than others.

And how about this, putting my money where my mouth is. Will trade Cirrus rides for Mooney rides. Just send me a message....

Well.....if you give me a ride in your Cirrus, I'd be willing to put your name back on my list. I may even reciprocate by giving you a ride in my lowly Cherokee. ;)

And don't need a Cherokee ride, fine airplane tho, would be happy to take you up...

And how about this, putting my money where my mouth is. Will trade Cirrus rides for Mooney rides. Just send me a message....

you fly a Mooney.....are you a midget? :eek:

....and full disclosure, I'm not a doctor. :D

If you ever find yourself near Tucson, let me know. I'll even buy breakfast.

Love Tucson, lived there a long time ago. I'm in New England, don't hold that against me this morning :-o

you fly a Mooney.....are you a midget? :eek:

....and full disclosure, I'm not a doctor. :D

Just to set the record straight, Al Mooney was 6'5" he actually built a tall mans airplane. Short people need rudder extensions... and while not Cirrus roomy, it's 1.5" wider than a Bo... sorry for thread hijack

About 6000 plus Cirrus are flying. About 450 or more are being built each year (SR20, SR22, SR22T, SF50). Are all these pilots wrong?

Yes, they're wrong for not flying to Tucson, parking at Millionair, walking over to Handy Hangers hangar 13 and saying, "Hi Tim, you want a ride in my Cirrus?"

About 6000 plus Cirrus are flying. About 450 or more are being built each year (SR20, SR22, SR22T, SF50). Are all these pilots wrong?

Hey Microsoft dominated personal computers for a long time too... and not necessarily with the best product. Popularity doesn't always tell the full tale... there is much to like for sure.

The thing is I'm the sort of pilot that would have bought a new Mooney or Cirrus or TTx. But especially on the Mooney side, there are so many good used planes for sale, it's exceedingly hard to justify a new one...

Last edited:
Just to set the record straight, Al Mooney was 6'5" he actually built a tall mans airplane. Short people need rudder extensions... and while not Cirrus roomy, it's 1.5" wider than a Bo... sorry for thread hijack

I am 6'3" 205lb and a Mooney is cramped and uncomfortable. And no, it's not 'like a 911'. I have a 911 and it's nothing like that.

I am 6'3" 205lb and a Mooney is cramped and uncomfortable. And no, it's not 'like a 911'. I have a 911 and it's nothing like that.

First did you sit in a modern one or something 50+ years old, and second, did you fully adjust the seats including vertically? And three did you fly in one?

I only have about 700 hours between the 20/22/T but it's the most comfortable 700 hours I've had. Have fun sweating your balls off in the summer in a Mooney while I enjoy the A/C!

. I used to daydream and draw Cherokees while bored in class constantly in high school.

Yeah me too, oh, you said Cherokees, I mean boobies. There was this girl the summer before my senior year, and she had....well, let's leave at that. She had 'em!

Hey Microsoft dominated personal computers for a long time too... and not necessarily with the best product. Popularity doesn't always tell the full tale... there is much to like for sure.

The thing is I'm the sort of pilot that would have bought a new Mooney or Cirrus or TTx. But especially on the Mooney side, there are so many good used planes for sale, it's exceedingly hard to justify a new one...

Which plane did you buy? The Mooney, Cirrus or TTx?

Some of that stuff is pretty cool, the weight and balance and IDing the stations, while not new, is nice.

I REALLY like the lights, BUT I hope there is a way of manually fully controlling them on or off for night time ground ops and for IMC ops.

Also the key fob, it's a mix between kinda cool and maybe trying to be a little too much like a car.

Out of my price range and not my demographic, but I'd say there are a few cool tweaks they did, wonder if past generations of cirrus will be able to buy those wing tips?

I only have about 700 hours between the 20/22/T but it's the most comfortable 700 hours I've had. Have fun sweating your balls off in the summer in a Mooney while I enjoy the A/C!

You do know Mooneys have AC option also right?

Which plane did you buy? The Mooney, Cirrus or TTx?

A 1996 Ovation, which goes 1000nm on 13gph and is FIKI.... for 1/4 the price of a new plane....

Cirrus' are nice planes. I owned a 2003 SR22 G1 for about 4 years.

Comments...

1) We have good data on how a Bonanza or Mooney hold up after 40, 50 or 60 years in service. Of course, no such data yet on the Cirrus. My overall subjective impression of the Cirrus was not one of durability*, but time will tell. Plus, long term durability is often not a factor to someone buying a new Cirrus, with many pilots trading up every few years anyway.

2) I think it's a little presumptuous to upgrade avionics and put on fancy lights and call that a new generation. Seems lazy and reminds me of just sticking bigger fins on cars in the 1960's. But if they want to herald it as a new generation, it's certainly their right - there's just not a bunch of real innovation apparent.

*Like GPS antennas stuck to the bottom of the glare shield with Velcro that comes unstuck in the heat, wing root fairings held on with double-sided tape, really chintzy connectors, etc. etc. I opined on COPA that Cirrus needed a "Drek Inspector" to weed out chintzy crap like that.

Last edited:
Any Cirri come up against the airframe life limit yet?

A 1996 Ovation, which goes 1000nm on 13gph and is FIKI.... for 1/4 the price of a new plane....

Shame you're so far from me. I'd like a ride in a moderner mooney one day.

First did you sit in a modern one or something 50+ years old, and second, did you fully adjust the seats including vertically? And three did you fly in one?

Yes to all.

You sound like Peggy from Dell support.

Back