Cirrus SR22 2017 here are the REAL changes.

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I read quite a few incorrect changes to the Cirrus G6 so I decided to post the facts:

Before I watch the video, I thought the only major change was the avionics suite upgrade. Let's see...

I refuse to watch because the purchase price has the decimal in the wrong place.

Those wingtip lights that fade out at 300' AGL reminded me of something... o_O

...Ah yes, remember these things from the 1970s?
"Opera lamps" on the Chrysler Cordoba :D

cordoba.jpg

Why do I get the feeling Cirrus is running low on new things to hang on their planes?

One of my students is taking delivery in March. I'm excited to fly it.

Don't forget to turn out the lights when you are done...:D

"an artistic lighting solution"
"the lights make a statement"

Sounds like they don't have anything new to offer... except lights.

sho is purdy ... the new features of the panel are interesting ... I wonder how long before that becomes available as an upgrade to other certified aircraft?

A video arcade in every cockpit?

Are we at the point where manipulating the multiple ways in which vast amounts of information can be displayed in the cockpit is overtaking manipulating the flight and engine controls to fly the plane?

A video arcade in every cockpit?

Are we at the point where manipulating the multiple ways in which vast amounts of information can be displayed in the cockpit is overtaking manipulating the flight and engine controls to fly the plane?

I don't believe so.

You guys are all very clever keyboard warriors. What amazing new much better tech did other piston GA manufacturers release this year? Let's see the full list - I'm sure it will blow us all away.

I'm always cast a critical eye as I remain sceptical that "amazing new" always leads to "better tech". We have ample examples in our lives where that is most definitely not the case. I see no reason aviation is exempt from that possibility.

Fair enough and no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy new tech but for some of us it is nice to see a manufacturer in such a tiny industry pushing the boundaries further. Cirrus makes fewer planes in a year than Toyota makes cars in an 8 hour production shift but they improve the product every year and whether or not that is your cup of tea, I think it is good for GA and I am really glad they are doing it. Your opinion may vary.

Fair enough and no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy new tech but for some of us it is nice to see a manufacturer in such a tiny industry pushing the boundaries further. Cirrus makes fewer planes in a year than Toyota makes cars in an 8 hour production shift but they improve the product every year and whether or not that is your cup of tea, I think it is good for GA and I am really glad they are doing it. Your opinion may vary.

Well now.... We now know what gets under his skin. :ihih::stirpot:

Now if Cirrus could get an engine that doesn't quit all the time they can stop touting their "saves"

You guys are all very clever keyboard warriors. What amazing new much better tech did other piston GA manufacturers release this year? Let's see the full list - I'm sure it will blow us all away.

I'll agree that cirrus is the leader of the pack in the piston GA world of tech. I just don't think the G6 was nearly as exciting as the G5 improvements. I think part of it is how much their marketing pushes the new improvements even if they are minor technological advancements.

I might change my mind if I got a chance to fly one.

-A touchscreen warrior

I'm looking forward to flying a G6 next week. I have about 150 hours in a G5 and it's an awesome plane. Honestly I would not shell out 900K for a new G6. That puts me in the used turbine category and I'd probably find a decent JetProp or pony up a bit more and get a used Meridian. However, OTOH some fantastic deals on G1 and G2 Cirrus...

I'm looking forward to flying a G6 next week. I have about 150 hours in a G5 and it's an awesome plane. Honestly I would not shell out 900K for a new G6. That puts me in the used turbine category and I'd probably find a decent JetProp or pony up a bit more and get a used Meridian. However, OTOH some fantastic deals on G1 and G2 Cirrus...

Some people have more money than brains. Some just don't care.

The new Cirrus is a direct shot at those who prefer luxury appointments over the aviation experience. I'm sure it will sell just like Grilz sold when Nellie sported one in his first rap video. How long it takes to start seeing them in the pawn shop is the question.

Well now.... We now know what gets under his skin. :ihih::stirpot:

Now if Cirrus could get an engine that doesn't quit all the time they can stop touting their "saves"

Completely agree with you. It would be wonderful if TCM invested some $$$ to make the io550 more reliable and better performing instead of selling the same old 1950s, terrible technology but that isn't Cirrus' issue really. I really wish GA were a bigger market that generated enough money for Cirrus to develop and build their own modern engines but that isn't going to happen without a 2 order of magnitude change in sales volume. Imagine if your favorite car manufacturer only a sold 300 cars a year and had to buy 1950s engines from two potential suppliers who are happy to keep building the exact same engines we had during the Cold War.

I don't disagree with you at all. That Cirrus continually works to improve its product offering and the customer experience is a credit to their company and everyone in it. There is no doubt it is pushing at least some of the other manufacturers. And clearly it has been hitting the mark as far as customers are concerned given its production and sales figures. Nothing wrong with that.

But just like not all of us desire to buy and drive a Tesla tech showcase, or maybe not even a Toyota, we do have choices. And thankfully, to some degree, so do aircraft purchasers. I hope Cirrus sells a ton of planes. That can only be good for aviation overall.

Some people have more money than brains. Some just don't care.

The new Cirrus is a direct shot at those who prefer luxury appointments over the aviation experience. I'm sure it will sell just like Grilz sold when Nellie sported one in his first rap video. How long it takes to start seeing them in the pawn shop is the question.

What exactly is 'the aviation experience' since you are so much smarter than the rest of us?

10 years from now, an A&P somewhere is going to curse whoever designed this lighting controller.

What exactly is 'the aviation experience' since you are so much smarter than the rest of us?

I'm not the one that has to explain that as I made no reference to my intelligence.

Cirrus Cirrus Cirrus... I would point out that 90% of the innovation/improvement they are talking about is Garmin's work. Which will appear in more than one airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cirrus Cirrus Cirrus... I would point out that 90% of the innovation/improvement they are talking about is Garmin's work. Which will appear in more than one airframe.

If Cirrus wasn't pushing it, would Garmin still have produced it?

Yes.

Well some people have more brains than to post something like that but I'm not saying anything about my intelligence either.

Desperation is a stinky cologne......

It's a beautiful airplane. They truly are trying to improve the safety and flying experience of the pilot. Will it make them safer? Depends how well those tools are used.

I refuse to watch because the purchase price has the decimal in the wrong place.

The only way to move the decimal point on the purchase price is to move the decimal point on the number of deliveries a few places.

I'm thrilled with the changes and even more thrilled to be getting mine in a few weeks. Some only see avionics and lights but there are other smaller changes that I'm thrilled about. You can make fun of my choice of plane all you want. It will not bother me one bit when I'm up in the air with the latest technology and added safety of the chute.

I mean, it's just February. Give it a few months.

Hey if you have the money... but except for the chute, I can buy a used Mooney for 1/3 the price with more speed, more range, and plenty nice... just sayin'

Back