Cirrus jet damaged....

Here's hoping the Piper guy wasn't one of those "I have no assets, so I don't have insurance" kind of guys.

Not the same plane, but this is the sort of damage a Cub prop can do, right?
KathrynsReport.jpg

Surprised the guy told anyone and didn’t just fly away :eek: when someone bumps your car in a parking lot they just keep on their way.

Accidents like this one make that standard $1MM policy look woefully inadequate.

The insurance he has may not give him much protection for his assets, as the liability here will be far beyond any limit he would be likely to have selected.

Anybody hand propping his plane is not one who would go high dollar for insurance.

EDITED TO ADD:
All the pilots that I have known who hand propped their plane were low budget.

An exception was an airshow aerobatic pilot, who obviously had high liability coverage, but needed a hand prop due to a low battery. He did not do his own plane, but was waiting for the line boy to come. I propped his plane for him, to reduce my wait for gas.

The low budget owners that I have known only hand propped their planes when they were tied down, tail and wings, plus chocks. After the engine was running smoothly, the tie downs were removed, and chocks pulled into the cockpit. I think they had liability about equal to 10 times their hull value, and their 65 HP planes were 20 years old. One may have had no insurance at all. He did not even have a pilot's license.

Last edited:
Put the aircraft in a LLC and personal assets are protected from anything your airplane may destroy in the process of destroying itself.

Put the aircraft in a LLC and personal assets are protected from anything your airplane may destroy in the process of destroying itself.
FYI: you may want to check the LLC liability laws in your state. Usually an LLC will not protect those assets if you are personally negligent in those damages and is the reason you need liability insurance along with the LLC.

If you are the one propping that plane, the ownership of the plane is not relevant to your liability. The operator of the plane is first in line for liability. This is in any state. The protection of an LLC does vary from one state to another, though.

Large enough legal judgements can make it worth while to follow you wherever you move, and garnish a percentage of any earnings you ever have. Small judgements you may move and avoid, because the cost of getting new garnishments in other states can be costly.

An attractive alternative, if you are in that condition, is move to LA and live in a city provided tent in a convenient downtown park. The proper applications may even provide free food and medical care. I think New Mexico will even buy you a ticket on a bus to LA.

Reminds me of this video of someone hand Propping a Cirrus SR-22 it flew into a hanger while he hung on to the wing trying to stop it by reaching into the cockpit. The only thing worse then hitting a jet is the incident being recorded on video. Wonder what their insurance rate went up to after this maybe not as much as you would think. Likely they would never hand prop again.

Last edited:
I remember back in the 90's reading about a hand propping accident where hubby left his non-pilot wife in the aircraft to goose throttle and hold brakes. Wife panicked, released brake, took off, and hit a hangar roof. I don't remember but I think she was ok.

The insurance he has may not give him much protection for his assets, as the liability here will be far beyond any limit he would be likely to have selected.

Anybody hand propping his plane is not one who would go high dollar for insurance.
Stop assume - ing that…
That’s ridiculous.

Don't airports require liability insurance?

Insurance rates are based upon your claim history. Therefore insurance underwriters believe that when one person has an incident, the chance of another incident is higher and therefore they have higher rates. I’m sure the Cirrus guy will be hand propping again. :D

Be careful with that one, especially if you are the sole shareholder.

Be careful with that one, especially if you are the sole shareholder.
Sole member. LLCs do not have shareholders.
Further, an LLC does nothing for personal negligence. They're not suing the airplane if you screw up.

Sole member. LLCs do not have shareholders.
Further, an LLC does nothing for personal negligence. They're not suing the airplane if you screw up.

Member, whatever. If you're a one man show, an LLC won't protect you from your own negligence. If there's another entity in the LLC who wasn't involved in the incident, it MAY afford some protection. No guarantee.

Yep, that's was the point I was trying to make. There's no magic that's going to protect YOU if YOU do something stupid.

I wonder if one would take the money that they’d spend setting up and maintaining the LLC and put it towards more insurance if it would be better.

If it’s your first time watching that SR22 video, you’ll miss seeing the passenger bailing out and falling to the ground as the plane starts it’s pilotless journey. I did it again even though I’ve seen that video before.

Many years ago I learned of a tragic end to a hand-propping attempt at the local airport. The pilot allowed a non-pilot family member to hand prop the plane and it ended in a fatality.

If it’s your first time watching that SR22 video, you’ll miss seeing the passenger bailing out and falling to the ground as the plane starts it’s pilotless journey. I did it again even though I’ve seen that video before.
Bail out? I thought you were supposed to pull the chute handle.

So how much damage did it do? All I see here are the Kathryn’s report which don’t say nuthin’ about it and a couple once upon a time videos about other accidents.

So the LLC would just go bankrupt in that case?

PA-22's have starters, but do they have reliable starters? Not that they guy didn't screw up, but I don't know if hand propping was routine for that model. First plane I flew was only hand propped.

I remember back in the 90's reading about a hand propping accident where hubby left his non-pilot wife in the aircraft to goose throttle and hold brakes. Wife panicked, released brake, took off, and hit a hangar roof. I don't remember but I think she was ok.

sounds premeditated to me…here hunny goose the throttle while I start the engine.

Back