Chock nose wheel or 2 mains

Mains for me. My parking brake is for temp use only and not designed for prolonged engagement. YMMV.....

Many airplanes there really isn't much weight on the nose wheel. So it is pretty easy for the plane to jump the chocks, at least compared to chocking a main wheel.

Brian

Just make sure you orient the chocks like this...

a87eef4c5439702ef8e04f1f336539fd.jpg

Last edited:
No reason for absolutes, it all depends. Say you park at the fuel pump, winds almost calm, once on the nose is likely enough.

If parking for a few days with unforeseen conditions, maybe everything, with a good tie down.

In my rental T-hangar, the floor slopes out. I have a wedge I only put in front of the nose wheel. It’s usually not to windy in the hangar also.

Always be willing to adjust for current conditions, never be in the mindset of doing things always the same way. That goes for a lot more than just chocking the wheel(s). JMHO, of course.

What I mean is, we don’t necessarily have to all do it the same. Some of us have reasons to do things differently.

The question assumes a nose wheel. That is discriminatory against our esteemed tailwheel brethren.

"2 main wheels" assumes that no one here flies aircraft with more than two main wheels. Again, discriminatory.

And what about the folks with amphib floats? Again, discriminated against.

Reported.

Back