Cherokee cockpit entry technique?

BarryCooper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BarryCooper
Cherokee owners: what is your preferred technique for entering the cockpit? Left leg first, right leg first, do you sit in the right seat and swing your legs over, do you sit in the right seat and scoot your butt over, or do you just swing everything in there like a NASCAR driver?

I just step in with the left leg, follow with the right, hold onto the upper door sill, do the hokey-pokey and sit down on the right seat; then slide over.

Like a Cub, there ain't no graceful way to do it.

Drop into the right seat left foot first,then slide over to the left seat,try to get comfortable.

Left knee on the seat, bring the right leg into the cabin on the floor, skooch over to the left seat. Try not to get tangled in the cables & seat belts.

Everyone figures out their own way to do it, and it will depend a bit on how tall you are. I step in left leg first and slide over to the left seat more or less directly, using the right seat for leverage but not really stopping there.

Except recently, I've had the right seat out in order to get behind the panel more easily, and that makes the whole process lots easier. :)

Cherokee owners: what is your preferred technique for entering the cockpit? Left leg first, right leg first, do you sit in the right seat and swing your legs over, do you sit in the right seat and scoot your butt over, or do you just swing everything in there like a NASCAR driver?

Yup.....

Creature of habit.....;).......:yes:

Being an A&P, my work was usually under the panel so I slithered in and laid on the floor. :yes: :D

Being an A&P, my work was usually under the panel so I slithered in and laid on the floor. :yes: :D

:lol::lol:...

Of course the seats are out by then..... Unless you are a little green lizard named Geico.;);)... Then you can fit with the seats still in...:rofl:

I just ooze through the mail chute on the left side and reform in the seat.

... I step in left leg first and slide over to the left seat more or less directly, using the right seat for leverage but not really stopping there. ...
This. I'll often have a flight bag in the right seat so I will lean my upper body against the right seat back and sort of slide across, keeping my butt above the flight bag.

In a Mooney OTOH, I have to stop in the right seat and work my legs to the left before I can slide over.

Left Leg on right seat.

Right Leg on right seat.

Duck, Left Leg on Left seat.

Right leg on Left Seat.

Right Leg on floor.

Left Leg on Floor.

Passengers freak when I tell them to "Get out."

Odo more likely

8GIYqVr.jpg

I step in with the left leg, grab onto the upper door seal, swing the rear in and mostly over to the left seat and then pull the legs in.... I think..... been about a month since I had do to it :/

I owned and flew a Cherokee for 10 years and don't remember exactly how I got in... I just simply got into the plane and got myself into the left seat :D

Last edited:
6'4" 280 on wing turn around face out....left foot right next to flap handle...right knee on pass seat, fold up and drop on driver seat...like a glove.

I still don't understand why they designed so many airplanes without a door on each side.

Left foot in, Sit in right seat, scoot across... NEVER step on the seat. Eva....

Once I had to enter a Cherokee through the baggage door. Thought I would get stuck and never get out.

The regular way of entry seemed wonderful after that.

I still don't understand why they designed so many airplanes without a door on each side.
Ease of entry and excellent ventalation during ground ops. Super easy access for maintenance and alterations.

I wish that I could say my entrance or exit techniques were graceful...sadly they are not. Getting in involves mostly falling into the right seat with a quick slide over to the left. Getting out is different just about every time. Currently though I turn to the left from the right seat, put my rear on the exit, and use my arms to pull myself up on the fuselage. I can't even imagine what it looks like from the outside watching the whole thing!

I see this a lot.........low wings have the "cool factor"......

Until you have a low wing with one door.....then you take pax for a ride....they almost get the awkwardness out of their brain from a cool flight....and then you land....hoping the flight was enough euphoria to forget about having to exit.:D

To answer the OP....I used to dive head first.....gather myself upright.....80% of the time I was facing the instruments.;)

What's really fun is when my wife get impatient during pre-flight and jumps in the right seat (then expects me to crawl over). You wouldn't want to try this with a stranger!

You just follow the song with instructions. It starts "you put the left leg in ..." and ends with "hokey pokey". :D

The real answer, though, is: whatever works best for you. It takes only a few tries and you will realize what your body likes the best.

Duke's of Hazard style, make sure the engine is off..

I just get my left leg in on the floor, then aim my butt toward the left seat, and fall in. That's a major reason why I bought a Cessna.

I do a Starsky & Hutch across the wing on the preflight then NASCAR into the seat

Ahhh....the Piper roll. I may miss the Archer at times but I sure don't miss getting in and out.

Much easier now with the two door Beech Sundowner!

Attachments

• ramp cge.jpg
    ramp cge.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 25
Same as most others:
Arrival - left foot into the pax floor pan, right foot in and butt on the right seat, all in one motion. Verify not going to tangle anything, slide to left seat.

Departure - slide to right seat, roll out onto the wing while swinging left leg onto walk and right knee on right seat, somehow extract the rest of myself out, while still trying to maintain my cool pilot image.

I don't know. If I think about it I fall all over myself. Guess I need to have someone watch me to see how I do it.

Back