Cherokee cockpit entry technique?

I got into (and out of) Cherokees on thousands of flights from 1994 to 2012. It's never elegant.

Then, I bought a tandem seat plane with a sliding canopy. It's much more jaunty to get into the front hole (think John Wayne in "Flying Tigers") but the back? Let's just say watch me squirm my 6'/200 lb. frame into and out of the back cockpit (my wife's PIC on every other flight) ain't pretty. :)

Flying right seat in the Cherokee was a lot easier.

I used to step into the right seat footwell, to the left seat footwell and sit down.

been a while, but I seem to recall getting both feet onto the floor (left first) and then just sitting down into the right seat and sliding over. Getting out was opposite, just stand up, step right foot onto the wing, going sideways, then twisting...

Wait a minute, it IS the hokey pokey

been a while, but I seem to recall getting both feet onto the floor (left first) and then just sitting down into the right seat and sliding over. Getting out was opposite, just stand up, step right foot onto the wing, going sideways, then twisting...

Wait a minute, it IS the hokey pokey

That......

Or the aviation version of Twister....:rofl::lol:

I am on the portly side, (NO Comments please). Left foot in front of the right seat, back against the strike side of the door frame. Right hand goes to the sill of the door and I lower myself into the right seat. Please don't put your weigh on the copilot seat back as it bends the bolts that are used to hold the seat back upright.

To get out I tuck my right leg under my left to get my right knee on the seat then use that leg to push myself upright to where I can get my left foot on the wing walk.

The only reason I know this is because I hav ehad to explain it to others that gave me that WTH look while atempting to get into the my Arrow.

46219_700x700.jpg

Cherokee owners: what is your preferred technique for entering the cockpit? Left leg first, right leg first, do you sit in the right seat and swing your legs over, do you sit in the right seat and scoot your butt over, or do you just swing everything in there like a NASCAR driver?

OK, I took note when I got in yesterday. Left knee on threshold of door. Then you put your right leg in and on copilot floor. Then swing but across to pilot seat. ;)

Back