Cheapest Twin on EBay Down

It has a lot to do with the youtube reality tv model. I bought "the cheapest plane on ebay". Can I "flip it for a profit"? Shoestring budgets and corner cuts don't do well in aviation. Especially when paired with lack of experience.
Its not just applicable to a reality TV model as it also sounds like a number of threads on PoA... "What's the cheapest aircraft I can buy for training?" and so on. As been stated by many, the cheapest thing with an aircraft is the owner.
On the other hand, maybe when the factual report comes out they'll report they found water and debris in the fuel truck also? Then what? Definitely would change the current narrative. Time will tell.

"The purpose of the flight was to deliver the airplane to its new owner."
You have no idea how many times a customer has been told "It's not ready yet, give us another day/week/month, please". And I'm not talking a bugsmasher at an annual. I'm talking big aircraft in contracts worth millions (tens+). Some of these have daily penalties worth 100k. You HAVE to be prepared to tell a customer "we're not ready". You never skimp on post-maintenance checks because the customer is there taping their foot. In this case, it was the accident pilot delivering it to the customer, but what if that was the customer himself being told "it's ready, take it" and now you have a dead customer at the end of the runway?
Its not just applicable to a reality TV model as it also sounds like a number of threads on PoA... "What's the cheapest aircraft I can buy for training?" and so on. As been stated by many, the cheapest thing with an aircraft is the owner.
There's foolishly (and dangerously) cheap and then there's people that at least are willing to ask the question and see what can be done to have a more affordable (yet still safe) flying experience. How many of you overhaul your engines after 12 years, when they only have 600 hours on them? For some people, not doing that might seem like a foolish and cheap thing to do. The rest of us, we try to work with A&Ps and learn as much as we can about maintenance "on condition".
On the other hand, maybe when the factual report comes out they'll report they found water and debris in the fuel truck also? Then what? Definitely would change the current narrative. Time will tell.
I'd think that would've been mentioned in the prelim. Playing back ADS-B data shows enough local traffic (including flight school planes) that is likely to have purchased fuel there, makes me doubt it it was a fuel truck contamination issue.

For some people, not doing that might seem like a foolish and cheap thing to do.
Not really in my experience. Not following engine overhaul intervals is one thing given the existing data shows limited advantage in complying with it. But to blindly not follow all or most OEM recommendations like 500 hour mag or alternator brush inspections errs more on the cheap side than not. And the existing failure rate data supports that.

Cheap is also buying parts at NAPA and installing them on your aircraft along with zero entries; flying with discrepancies all year waiting until annual time to fix them; and my favorite paying $200 for an annual inspection. Unfortunately there are A&P/IAs who will oblige these types of owner’s wishes.

I'd think that would've been mentioned in the prelim.
Not necessarily. They could have simply quarantined the refueler for future examination after ensuring no other aircraft were affected. Or maybe the NTSB IIC didn’t travel to the scene and wrote his report from the office. Just because its not in the preliminary report doesn’t mean much at this point.

Now hold on big feller. That's twice you've pinned intentions onto people you don't know.

Last I checked narcissism was characterized in part by a stark lack of empathy. First strike, deciding someone is more upset about their youtube channel than a death they just saw, second strike declaring I'm pleased with any of it.

Why don't you take a couple of deep breaths and consider how much empathy you're willing to extend; to the bereaved, or to fellow pilots on this forum.

I'm not saying the pay-for-views economy is good, and I'm not saying I'm happy with the outcome. I *am* saying you have zero business declaring what people's "first thoughts" were, or who is happy with what.

Which has the higher body count? Are you pleased with how this whole thing shook out? Seemed like a basic day in general aviation, or something preventable and pressured into being?

So the NTSB prelim indicates:
There was water in the fuel, possibly caused because the right fuel tank cap was missing a seal.
Following maintenance, the aircraft did not do a run up and did not drain the fuel prior to the accident flight.

So the NTSB prelim indicates:
There was water in the fuel, possibly caused because the right fuel tank cap was missing a seal.
Following maintenance, the aircraft did not do a run up and did not drain the fuel prior to the accident flight.
It did not say that a run up was not done.

So something as critical as gasketing on a recessed fuel cap to prevent water intrusion into the fuel would not have been part of the annual the plane had just passed?
I get that according to the report the pilot failed to sump the tanks, but seems the holes in the cheese wouldn't have aligned as they did had this been noticed by the A&P mechanic- not to mention the guy that fueled the aircraft just prior to the mishap?

Interesting in that the NTSB found water in both tanks....Wonder if the fuel truck got sampled, as a missing gasket on one fuel cap would not necessarily account for water in another tank.

So something as critical as gasketing on a recessed fuel cap to prevent water intrusion into the fuel would not have been part of the annual the plane had just passed?
Maybe. But the detail of the inspection is usually determined by the specificity of the annual inspection guide used, eg. 43 Appx D vs OEM form, and to an extent the mechanic themselves. The more detailed the reference list, the more items get individually checked during an annual. You'll find there is a wide variance in how annuals are complied but still meet the required minimums.

And then theres the "annual done real quick by the guy selling it"...

Last edited:
Interesting in that the NTSB found water in both tanks....Wonder if the fuel truck got sampled, as a missing gasket on one fuel cap would not necessarily account for water in another tank.
I saw another post that said an FAA person that was part of the investigation stated that the left fuel cap gasket was deteriorated.

That's what happened to me, about 40 years ago. Tanked up my 150 at a nearby airport, sampled the tank, mounted up and started for the ~15 minute trip home. Engine started running rough about 10 minutes out as the water dissolved in the fuel by the tank's pump precipitated out. Engine died, but by then was on high final on a straight-in. Afterwards, I drained about four gallons of water out of my sumps.

This was back in the era of underground tanks. The filler cap for the tank had been in a recess in the pavement, and the gasket on the cap was bad. Recess filled with water during a recent rain, which dribbled into the tank itself.

Ron Wanttaja

I get that according to the report the pilot failed to sump the tanks, but seems the holes in the cheese wouldn't have aligned as they did had this been noticed by the A&P mechanic- not to mention the guy that fueled the aircraft just prior to the mishap?
Perhaps the annual inspection log entry noted the gas cap gasket was missing and required replacement prior to return to service.

Lots of assumptions being made in this thread.

Not necessarily. The wise pilot waits a reasonable amount of time after fueling before sampling his tanks. What is reasonable? Like so many questions, the best answer is.....It Depends.

The greater the tank depth, the longer you want to wait. Different fuel tank/system designs may create unknown factors. Different fuel densities(Jet fuel for example) create different effects. But I do like to have 15 minutes from fueling to sampling for AvGas. Longer if it is Jet fuel.

Well that's a new one. I'll put it on my list.

Not necessarily. The wise pilot waits a reasonable amount of time after fueling before sampling his tanks. What is reasonable? Like so many questions, the best answer is.....It Depends.

The greater the tank depth, the longer you want to wait. Different fuel tank/system designs may create unknown factors. Different fuel densities(Jet fuel for example) create different effects. But I do like to have 15 minutes from fueling to sampling for AvGas. Longer if it is Jet fuel.

The wise pilot waits a reasonable amount of time after fueling before sampling his tanks.
Agree. But in my experience, most "wise" pilots pre-flight their aircraft in the comfort of their hangar, to include fuel samples, then taxi to the self-serve pump, top off then head to the run-up area and depart. Regardless, the context of my comment was there can be other reasons for fuel system contamination which is why after a departure accident the local fuel systems are usually quarantined to check for such contamination.

Fuel truck came back clean. Which is what most people suspected at the time as well, since all the flight school planes on the field took fuel from the same truck that day.
But in my experience, most "wise" pilots pre-flight their aircraft in the comfort of their hangar, to include fuel samples, then taxi to the self-serve pump, top off then head to the run-up area and depart.
I see that as well. I try to refuel at the end of the flight, if possible, to allow any water to settle in the tanks. Only time I sumped any water from the tanks is when I was parked outside during a thunderstorm with a fuel cap gasket that was starting to fail.

Any airplane you fly, certainly light singles and twins you need to be spring loaded to deal with engine failure. In fact just assume it is going to happen any minute, every minute of your flight and know what you are going to do so it is muscle memory.

If you stall it or, roll it you will likely not make it.

Apparently to many engines scare me, one is scary, two is worse :)
Actually I would probably like flying multiengine stuff, just never had the money or the need to do so. I seem to have acquired 8000+ hours flying one engine or less.

My friend tells the story of his Multi engine check-ride. The examiner took a clipboard and placed it between the prop and mixture control so my friend could not see the mixture controls. The DPE kept his hand up near the mixtures as if he was going to pull one during the takeoff. He never pulled one, but afterward my friend quizzed him about why he did that if he wasn't going to pull a mixture. The DPE, asked him what were you doing during the take off, for which my friend responded listening and watching the engine gauges to figure out which mixture you were going to pull. The DPE responded, if you do every take off like that you will never have a problem if an engine fails during takeoff.

Brian

Apparently to many engines scare me, one is scary, two is worse :)
Actually I would probably like flying multiengine stuff, just never had the money or the need to do so. I seem to have acquired 8000+ hours flying one engine or less.

My friend tells the story of his Multi engine check-ride. The examiner took a clipboard and placed it between the prop and mixture control so my friend could not see the mixture controls. The DPE kept his hand up near the mixtures as if he was going to pull one during the takeoff. He never pulled one, but afterward my friend quizzed him about why he did that if he wasn't going to pull a mixture. The DPE, asked him what were you doing during the take off, for which my friend responded listening and watching the engine gauges to figure out which mixture you were going to pull. The DPE responded, if you do every take off like that you will never have a problem if an engine fails during takeoff.

Brian
At that point it shouldn’t matter which one gets pulled. You either abort or fly, and if you fly, you run “the drill” when it’s time to figure out which one.

Back