Cheap Modern Sedans (Cars)

How do you define "modern?"
I got a 2007 Ford Police Interceptor (P71) for $600. It blew it's engine completely, also had some transmission damage. A family friend got it fixed up (he's a Ford dealer) and total investment was around $7000. He gave it to his daughter as her first car. I had to lose my "first" car thanks to titling issues with parents. The car was sound and they have a good rep.

As for modern vehicles I wouldn't want to buy a laptop or a car that reminds me of a 777 or Airbus cockpit. Too much glass!

As for modern vehicles I wouldn't want to buy a laptop or a car that reminds me of a 777 or Airbus cockpit. Too much glass!

Just picked up a rental car, a ford 'Edge' (I hate it if I reserve a midsize and they put me into one of those compact SUV deathtraps). When I got in, the AC was on 61deg and the fan on 'full blast'. Changing both of those things is done via context sensitive touchscreen menus :mad2: or via some foil-switches hidden at the bottom of the screen.

I wish I had my last Grand cherokee.

Sold it with 190,000 miles. 4.0 and 42RE trans. Running great, for 2k. It was pristine too, clean inside and out, leather, good paint, everything worked...

Now I have an 2001 GC with the 4.7. The 4.7 is burning oil, the window motors are systematically self destructing, the stupid electronic climate control blend doors break, I had to replace the transmission solenoid ($350) and the plastic radiator tanks have just sprung a leak. Still with 189k on it I've gotten my money's worth.

Old Cherokees were great, new Cherokees are crap. 'Nuff said. :)

The body rust got so bad - door siils and such, that it wouldn't pass an inspection any more. So we finally bought another car, and took that one to the junkyard and gave them the title. And they parted it out. I believe the engine and transmission got used, before they crushed the rest.

You still have inspections? Colorado's Green contingent got safety inspections replaced with tailpipe emissions tests well over a decade. You could drive something so dangerous in that it shouldn't be on the road, as long as it doesn't smoke or have other emissions problems, you're out the door with a sticker.

I prefer Nebraska. No inspections or emissions tests of any kind.

I prefer Nebraska. No inspections or emissions tests of any kind.
If you live outside of the Denver metro counties (which I barely do) you don't have emissions or inspection tests either. Police can still stop you, though. I got stopped in Elbert county for having a headlight out.

I just noticed the thread name. Kimberly said she wants a four door in one of her posts, since here's is a two-door.

Thus, during the portion of the thread where we were discussing her current car, the thread would have been "Cheap Modern Coupes". ;)

thankfully no emissions inspections in kansas, as anyone who has been within breathing distance of Ol' Blue during startup can attest.

It did? Should I say "you're welcome for starting this thread"? What happened?

Yep, it did :) remember my post above that noted I could move up 3 years and unwind 140 thousand miles off the odometer? Well I did and it did! :D
My premise posted originally still stands, however, that the cheapest car to drive is the one you already own. After I sell my older jeep I hope to have $2000 or less out of pocket for a vehicle that should last me another 10 years easily.
Greg

It was a good deal all around. I didn't really use it and since I am a procrastinator extraordinare I would never have gotten around to advertising and selling it which I find to be a PITA.

Hope you enjoy it Greg. I'm sure it's in shock that it will actually have to work for a living!

Thanks for starting the thread, Kimberly! :cheerswine:

It was a good deal all around. I didn't really use it and since I am a procrastinator extraordinare I would never have gotten around to advertising and selling it which I find to be a PITA.

Hope you enjoy it Greg. I'm sure it's in shock that it will actually have to work for a living!

Thanks for starting the thread, Kimberly! :cheerswine:

I love happy endings! I have never known of good things to come of my threads, this is awesome!

Back