Cheap Modern Sedans (Cars)

Yeah, but a 130k is not an 'old car'

Time have changed. I remeber when 100K was alot of miles. That said I currently do not have a car with less than 100K on it. One is close to 300K.

Back to Kimberly original question. The car is just getting broke in keep driving it.
I know I am late it looks like everyone here got you to think that all ready.

Time have changed. I remeber when 100K was alot of miles. That said I currently do not have a car with less than 100K on it. One is close to 300K.

Back to Kimberly original question. The car is just getting broke in keep driving it.
I know I am late it looks like everyone here got you to think that all ready.

You're not late to the party, the party is just getting started.

Oh but I forgot to mention one other strange thing:

My "blower motor" (yes when the owner of the mom and pop repair shop I go to told me this I kind of turned red).

So I broke my blower motor or it sometimes makes squeaky mouse like noises when the fan (A/C or heat - doesn't matter which) is on FULL bars. He told me not to use A/C or heat, or at least use it on a lower setting. He said it was unusual so he had to look it up (about 500 total we're just waiting for it to break).

So yeah my blower motor is sort of - well - not blowing so good anymore.

It's interesting to see the miles that most of us our getting out of our cars now. The last several cars I've had - 145k currently, 170k? and sold it to get a more reliable used car for a college kid, and another that had way more than the broken odometer said (broke at 135k and ran for another 3-4yrs before I sold it).

Most of us remember the days when a car was lucky to last past 80k without rusting apart.

The cars I learned to drive on only had 5-digit odometers. Once they rolled over from 99,999 to 0 again, look it's a brand new car!

I'm buying my daughter an NB-era Miata in a few years when she gets old enough so that she'll learn how to drive a standard, learn how to drive a car that rewards a good driver, and because I like that there's only two seats.

I might even let her drive my '91.

He should have kept the 356... that's a true classic.

He bought the 356 in poor condition and restored it, then sold it. I know he has regretted that decision ever since. The 911 he bought new in Germany when the exchange rate was 4 DM per $1, and he said it was $7000. Someone made him an offer he didn't refuse. I think he regretted that too. They were some fun cars to drive.

The cars I learned to drive on only had 5-digit odometers. Once they rolled over from 99,999 to 0 again, look it's a brand new car!

Yeah - I was riding along with a guy in his old Ford LTD. I noticed the odomoter read 44,000. I commented, "I'm guessing this isn't the first time it's said that." He said, "No, it's the third."

or at least use it on a lower setting. He said it was unusual so he had to look it up (about 500 total we're just waiting for it to break).

I have replaced some of those, you will find that rebuilt units cost 1/3 of that.

No, clutches wear out... but you don't end up spending 3K+ to rebuild a manual the way you might on an automatic unless you really abuse it.

Clutches should wear out at 60-80K The way clutches work means they WILL wear.

60-80K? Ride the clutch much? I've never worn a clutch out on a street car (destroyed some race car clutches though) Current car has 119,000 (Forester)

My "blower motor" (yes when the owner of the mom and pop repair shop I go to told me this I kind of turned red).

So I broke my blower motor or it sometimes makes squeaky mouse like noises when the fan (A/C or heat - doesn't matter which) is on FULL bars. He told me not to use A/C or heat, or at least use it on a lower setting. He said it was unusual so he had to look it up (about 500 total we're just waiting for it to break).

Yeah but those are so easy to fix, 3 screws and a plug.

Those are typically pretty easy to replace, they're usually under the passenger side dashboard and come out without difficulty.

60-80K? Ride the clutch much? I've never worn a clutch out on a street car (destroyed some race car clutches though) Current car has 119,000 (Forester)

He was talking about a post I made that my Dad's SHO Taurus needed one at 60-80K when I was younger. My Dad was shocked. Then again he drove it like a race car so I was not shocked.

Oh wait, you wanted advice on what new car to get. Can't go wrong with the Honda (I've owned 6 or 7) The Yaris too. I really like the 2012 Yaris, and that engine/tranny combo has been around awhile, very reliable. I worked on Hyundais for years, same crap, different wrapper. Their reliability has improved, but only up to the level of American cars. So it will work, just not for more than 5 years or so. And be worthless when you try and get rid of it.

Um... see the original context. Teenager, SHO.

No, Tim, sorry, my fault. I was a teenager (still living at home) when he had the SHO. It was his car. I did not drive it. Ever. Then one day he let me drive the SHO ( at that time, I had a POS Nissan Sentra stick shift). Soon after the go around the block with his supervision in the SHO, it needed a new clutch and he blamed ME. The Nissan I drove 60 miles to high school daily (30 miles each way) had high miles to begin with and I never needed a clutch. My mom had a POS 1979 stick shift Toyota Corolla Tercel (yes it said that on the steering wheel) and that never needed a clutch either.

I drive a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, easily the best car I have ever owned. Phil Edmunston (of Lemon Aid fame) says that Hyundai is building better cars than anything coming out of Japan. Indeed, the Elantra won Car of the Year awards at at least two shows in the last two weeks.

And their pricing can't be beat. And much optional stuff in other makes is standard in Hundais.

I wish they offered a pickup.

Dan

This is far from the truth, I worked on Hyundais until last year, they are nowhere near the durability than Japanese cars, they are about equal with American cars now.

No, Tim, sorry, my fault. I was a teenager (still living at home) when he had the SHO. It was his car. I did not drive it. Ever. Then one day he let me drive the SHO ( at that time, I had a POS Nissan Sentra stick shift). Soon after the go around the block with his supervision in the SHO, it needed a new clutch and he blamed ME. The Nissan I drove 60 miles to high school daily (30 miles each way) had high miles to begin with and I never needed a clutch. My mom had a POS 1979 stick shift Toyota Corolla Tercel (yes it said that on the steering wheel) and that never needed a clutch either.

My mom had a 1979 Corrola, I loved that car.

I'm buying my daughter an NB-era Miata in a few years when she gets old enough so that she'll learn how to drive a standard, learn how to drive a car that rewards a good driver, and because I like that there's no back seat.
FTFY!

Sorry, people, hate to be a buzz kill here, but you would be surprised what daughters can do in cars with only front seats.

Sorry, people, hate to be a buzz kill here, but you would be surprised what daughters can do in cars with only front seats.

You might be surprised that many of us who have daughters used to be "one of those boys" and that's who we're protecting our daughters from! :D

AH, thanks. No not your fault at all.

I had 775,000 miles on my 82 Corrola wagon when it finally went to the scrapyard. It had been almost completely underwater in the ocean once (hurricane while I was on the OTHER coast) and the body was just hopelessly rusting away. But I understand the engine and transmission went on to power another vehicle. I miss that car.

Kimberly... as a father, please let me hang on to my illusions? Ok? Please?

Actually, If I do my job right, then when my daughter does.... it'll be because SHE wants to, and SHE's ready, and SHE's taken responsibility for all the necessary precautions.

And she better not dent the hood of the Miata, it's thin aluminum.

Kimberly... as a father, please let me hang on to my illusions? Ok? Please?

Actually, If I do my job right, then when my daughter does.... it'll be because SHE wants to, and SHE's ready, and SHE's taken responsibility for all the necessary precautions.

And she better not dent the hood of the Miata, it's thin aluminum.

Geez, I meant inside the car - not on top of it. Doing stuff on top of the hood leaves fingerprints and other evidence that fathers can find. Besides, if you are already outside the car go hide in the woods.

Most of us remember the days when a car was lucky to last past 80k without rusting apart.

Engine wise, we can thank Fuel Injection for helping with much of the longevity (if you're taking proper care of it).

An additional trend I am seeing is the consumer accepting a higher mileage as "okay" and still in good nick. Used to, 100K was a "magic" number that folks would say the engine or transmission is no good. Lately, customers are accepting the 120-130k miles as a "normal" range (top of bell curve) and 80-90k as "low miles". This, of course, is for the "average" year range of the fleet, 7yrs old or more.

A shameless plug for me and some other really good auto & truck recyclers. Be sure to ask if warranties longer than 6-months are available. I offer warranties up to 3yrs as an upgrade option. If a recycler is willing to do that for you, you've found a good one. If you're talking to one who will offer only 30-days, then either you're pruposely opting for the low cost/value option, or you need to reconsider whom your spending money with.

AH, thanks. No not your fault at all.

I had 775,000 miles on my 82 Corrola wagon when it finally went to the scrapyard. It had been almost completely underwater in the ocean once (hurricane while I was on the OTHER coast) and the body was just hopelessly rusting away. But I understand the engine and transmission went on to power another vehicle. I miss that car.

Wait is that a typo? 775?

He said it was unusual so he had to look it up (about 500 total we're just waiting for it to break).

I have replaced some of those, you will find that rebuilt units cost 1/3 of that.

And recycled would be about 1/10.

Wait is that a typo? 775?
Nope. I bought it in '88 from my CO with 200,000 on it. And I kept it until 1998. I put two clutches in, replaced brakes and wheel hubs and shocks and exhausts, but never did anything to the engine and transmission except wires/plugs/filters/oil.

Toyota actually paid me $500 and took the car for three days after I had it serviced at 500,000 + miles, and they disassembled stuff and took measurements and reassembled stuff. They told me that that particular engine series just seemed to run forever..

Nope. I bought it in '88 from my CO with 200,000 on it. And I kept it until 1998. I put two clutches in, replaced brakes and wheel hubs and shocks and exhausts, but never did anything to the engine and transmission except wires/plugs/filters/oil.

Toyota actually paid me $500 and took the car for three days after I had it serviced at 500,000 + miles, and they disassembled stuff and took measurements and reassembled stuff. They told me that that particular engine series just seemed to run forever..

Wait - Toyota studied YOU? That is cool.

Yes the dealership called me about a week after the visit and said their system flagged the car because if it's high mileage. Apparently all the major manufacturers do similar research as part of their development efforts.

Impressive. So did the car finally die, or what happened to it?

The body rust got so bad - door siils and such, that it wouldn't pass an inspection any more. So we finally bought another car, and took that one to the junkyard and gave them the title. And they parted it out. I believe the engine and transmission got used, before they crushed the rest.

Yeah, not that far ... and I'm now working (somewhat) closer to you - near KAPA...
Cool. If you're interested let me know. I would sell it. I drive it once in a while just because, but it's really a garage queen. Runs well, haven't done a thing to it except change the oil.

Back