I totally missed the point about "small stint at county". I thought that was about some job at the local county airport.

Good point. In looking back at the OP I see that he did seem to be realistic about prospects being somewhat limited by his convictions.

Normally stereotyping refers to ignoring the particulars pertaining to an individual in favor of making judgements based on generalities.

I fail to see how this is an example of that. We don’t really know much about the OP other than he is 29 years old, may have very good stick and rudder skills (per self report), has been sentenced to some jail time, and failed the checkride twice.

You asked what of his background might indicate he would have a problem finding a job as a professional pilot?

I responded that the jail time and failing twice were two such items.

You then said that was a stupid thought.

In this last post it strikes me we agree that the jail time is likely to create some issues with finding a job.

About 10% of people might be expected to fail the checkride twice, so while not terribly rare it is less common and those results suggest the OP is in the bottom decile of CFI teaching ability.

So based on those facts and agreement, I honestly don’t see why such an opinion or evaluation is viewed as being so terribly offensive to other posters on an aviation board. It is unclear why a comment about the OP would be perceived as applying to more than the OP in the first place. Unless the majority or a substantial fraction of pilots here have been sentenced to jail time and failed their CFI checkrides two of more times. But I don’t believe that is the case.

But we really don’t know much about the OP and he could provide more information if he desires more accurate evaluation.
I got into a huge bar fight after a hockey game, 4th degree assault and 30 days in county

I got into a huge bar fight after a hockey game, 4th degree assault and 30 days in county
Did you workout at all while in prison? If so, I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind answering.

I imagine the airlines will have other questions about this. But others here are likely more knowledgeable of how that might impact their decision making.

Must have been one heck of a fight, jail time for a hockey fight seems odd.

Hope at least you won the fight.

This is an interesting thread. I agree with those who think the OP isn’t cut out to be a CFI.

As far as professors, they have to have a Ph.D.
In college, you start with a BS (Bull Stuff). Then you get your MS (More Stuff - which I have), and finally you get your Ph.D (Piled Higher and Deeper). As best I can tell, I joined too late to encounter the best at Piling it Higher and Deeper.

You can try aerial survey. You’ll be on the road for long periods of time (5-8 months) but you’ll build a ton of time. Some of the aerial survey companies hire wet commercial pilots.

1) I’ve never worked as a pilot without taking some form of checkride.

2) I’ve never done a checkride where the flying comes before the oral.

Hate to be harsh, but get your act together for orals. Obviously you’ve passed a few if you are CP/IR, but they only get harder as the jobs get better.

Back