RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Now I think I’ve seen it all LOL.

The CFI lights a stog during the lesson.
Starts around 6:20.

I’m sure that was very common not too many decades ago.

I remember the back seats of commercial airliners were for smoking...I’m not old enough to remember when any seat was ok for smoking though.

If the student and plane owner is cool with it, personally I don't see a issue here.

No issue to be had. Just thought it was rather uncommon to see this.

Most older airplanes have cigarette lighters and ashtrays lol.

My flight instructor used to turn off all the lights on the panel and interior at night. I had to use the flashlight and then he would light up and blow smoke at me.

"Flick's Foggy Flying"

My flight instructor used to turn off all the lights on the panel and interior at night. I had to use the flashlight and then he would light up and blow smoke at me.

"Flick's Foggy Flying"
He would be down a student if that stunt was tried on me.

A clean cockpit seems like an awesome excuse to put the smoke down for a couple hours.

Now I think I’ve seen it all LOL.

The CFI lights a stog during the lesson.
Starts around 6:20.

It's a helicopter. Land immediately and push him out, then go back to the airport. Send him the bill for cleaning the interior. Cigarettes smell bad, cigars stink!!

I got my instrument rating without being able to see the instruments through the smoke in the cockpit...my instructor never smoked in airplanes unless he was bored.:oops:

It's a helicopter. Land immediately and push him out, then go back to the airport. Send him the bill for cleaning the interior. Cigarettes smell bad, cigars stink!!
I would bet the guy smoking owns the helicopter and either the student was asked if he was ok with the smoking or the owner didn’t care if he lost a student over the smoking. Either way it’s a consenting party in the right seat.

Helicopters are tres cool.

"Flick's Foggy Flying"
Why?

My ppl cfi was a French woman who rolled her own joints. it was hilarious watching her take out her little deltiods sardine can full of tobbaco and cigarette paper and roll one up while I did the walk-around on that 152 with a whopping 3 hours under my belt. She would at least wait until we landed to light up though, which was much appreciated. Interesting personalities abound in aviation for sure lol.

I’m sure that was very common not too many decades ago.
Yes, it was.

Back in the 60’s, my dad’s CFII used to chain smoke every flight. Great times....flying under the hood in a smoke filled Cessna 150 around Phoenix in the summertime.....

I can remember my first solo and my first smoke while flying. Have since quit smoking.

Cessna 120 didn't. So, first thing my instructor did was have me taxi over to the FBO so he could dash inside and grab a "bean bag" ash tray to put on the glare shield.

I wouldn't wait to land before pushing him out.:eek:

"Flick's Foggy Flying"
You smoke in my aircraft, I'll assume you are on fire.

I've seen the day when the nastiest job in Aviation was cleaning cabin out flow valves.

They were clogged with nicotine tar.

It's really bad when you had to remove your o2 mask to smoke.

My plane had both. I installed an ashlight where the ashttay used to be, really makes a lot of red light at night. Never seen the lighter, there's just the hole on the panel with 12V where it was once upon a time.

There's that other thread that mentions make-work jobs when there is no work to do on your main job. One of mine was cleaning the hanging ceiling tiles in our office. The ones above where the smokers sat were the nastiest. Why they didn't just buy new ceiling tiles is beyond me.

Nasty, but I was young, and it was better than being unemployed.

Looks like heli lessons can be a blast sans the smoking part. Flying over trees, putting down all over the place!!

Looks like heli lessons can be a blast sans the smoking part. Flying over trees, putting down all over the place!!
You betcha. Heli’s are fun machines!

I really do like the teaching style of this CFI, but the smoking wouldn’t fly with me. (Pun intended)

Man, the snowflakes hath been triggered.

I don’t smoke, but consenting parties consent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back then people sat around smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and talking about their problems. Now coffee and cigarettes are the problem...
yup....and how else was one gonna sump the tanks and check the fuel? :D

Back then people sat around smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and talking about their problems. Now coffee and cigarettes are the problem...

Since when is coffee a problem? :D

Also, on that note, did you know that the removable center console in a 172 SP is watertight and holds a liter very comfortably? And is easily washable. For when you drink way too much coffee. I mean...not that I've ever...jus' saying...

Flew with a Captain who would firewall it to out stations. After a couple of flights I realized he was a smoker. He'd rush out of the cockpit and get off before the passengers were barely up out of their seats. Guy was crazy. I called him WFO. (Wide ****ing Open)
Another one used to open the side window, or escape hatch, while taxing and smoked. He has passed, great guy. RIP.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but in the Cirrus POH under Limitations it says this:

“Other Limitations
Smoking

Smoking is prohibited in this airplane.”

I wonder if this is now a standard Limitation in other aircraft currently manufactured.

Back