CFI says I can’t use electronic E6B on written — what??

BaltCoFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EchoSierraSierra
Hey, all! I’m finally knocking out the written… just in the nick of time, too. Checkride isn’t too far off!

While endorsing my logbook for the written after today’s flight, I asked if I could use my electronic E6B for the PPL written, and I was told that I need to use the mechanical calculator. Fine, fine, I got the electronic one off eBay for not too much, I’m not upset about that — but I’m confused. Everything I’ve seen points to me being able to use it. I’d like to use it — it eliminates the chance that I misread the whiz wheel, it removes the guesswork of “is it closer to this hash mark or the other?”, and I think it saves time.

I don’t want to go against my CFI, and I don’t want to screw myself over by arriving for the test with nonpermissible equipment, but I also want to use every tool I can, and I believe that includes the calculator.

Haven’t scheduled the test with PSI yet (need to call the help desk to reset my IACRA password in the morning first), but my understanding is that they’ll let me know what’s allowed.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

The E6B doesn't take THAT much more time than the electronic version, and the best way to learn to use it well is to get enough practice with it to be familiar. I wouldn't worry about time. If you use more than half the time you're given for the knowledge test, something's probably not going well.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use an electronic for the test, but do the work and take the old school to the test.

The E6B doesn't take THAT much more time than the electronic version, and the best way to learn to use it well is to get enough practice with it to be familiar. I wouldn't worry about time. If you use more than half the time you're given for the knowledge test, something's probably not going well.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use an electronic for the test, but do the work and take the old school to the test.
Makes sense! Yeah, time hasn’t been a concern. I’ve knocked out 60-question practice tests pretty dang quick and gotten good scores. I’ll get some practice in between now and the test to make sure I’m proficient with the old school version.

Thanks!

When I took mine, no phone or other electronic devices, they loaned you a cheap electronic calculator, but that’s over 10 years ago.

I used my for my IR test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funny, my CFI got mad because I refused to get an electronic one.

Take both with you. They'll let you know.
With some of the technology today, I could see them not allowing any person to bring an electronic device in. They'll provide a calculator if you need one.

I used my for my IR test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Me too. Sporty’s electronic E6B. I suspect the CFI is partially correct. If I recall correctly without looking it up, the issue is having memory capability, so only certain electronic devices are permitted. The Sporty’s is and there are probably others.

Here’s what the FAA says about it.

Last edited:
Your CFI might be interpreting a local testing center policy that is incorrect.

"
  • May be used for FAA and Canadian Exams
    The CX-3® complies with FAA Order 8080.6 and Advisory Circular (AC) 60-11, “Test Aids and Materials that May be Used by Airman Knowledge Testing Applicants”; therefore, you may bring the CX-3 with you to the testing centers for all pilot, mechanic, dispatcher, and FAA exams."

When I took the test, the test software had its own E6b. I had a Sporty's electronic one with me but never used it. The one on the test computer was all I needed.

Here is a novel idea: why not use the electronic E6B to learn how to better use the Analog E6B? Then you will have mastered both and will be a better pilot because of it.

Having said that, I do find it easier to be more precise with the electronic E6B.

Yes, you're allowed to use the electronic and do it. I was taught old school both civilian and the Navy (With the CR3) and the using the electronic one does not detract from you knowing the content but it does help differentiate between the FAA saying the answer is .2 or .4 degrees. (then you'll do what I did and give it away to another student and never think about it again) :yes:

Can you fly as precisely as your electronic E6B can calculate?
Yes and no. I used my electronic E6B to create a True Airspeed table at 10°C intervals. I trim for desired TAS based on altitude and air temp. I know that 140 kts TAS is about 60% power at 5500 feet, and I run LOP at that power level. I use that table on every XC that I fly. 140 kts TAS, 8 GPH cruise at altitudes above 5000 feet. I may not be real fast but at 160 mph I get 20 mpg.

Yes, you're allowed to use the electronic and do it. I was taught old school both civilian and the Navy (With the CR3) and the using the electronic one does not detract from you knowing the content but it does help differentiate between the FAA saying the answer is .2 or .4 degrees. (then you'll do what I did and give it away to another student and never think about it again) :yes:
The advantage of learning the wheel is that you should be better able to understand the ratios involved, and it helps counterbalance the modern over-dependence on electronics to engage critical thinking skills. If a gadget runs out of juice, you can still calculate a ton of stuff with it.

I have an ancient ASA CX2 that I kept around for no other purpose than the writtens. It's still in the desk somewhere.

I think I had exactly 1 question where I needed the e6b. Luckily I brought my own pencil cuz the test center only supplied a pen but did give a calculator. I don't think I had any weight and balance questions either.

Bring both, but they should let you use the electronic one (I used one for IR test a few weeks ago). Use the electronic one. You'll spend the majority of your time flipping through the book looking for the charts, pictures, etc. you can save your self some brain damage.

Once you're done with your checkride, you'll just lug your E6B with you and never use it until the next written test.

Yes, you can use an FAA approved electronic E6B. Buy the Sporty’s E6B. You will use it for the PPL test and your commercial test. IMHO the time spent on learning to use the mechanical E6B won't do you much good.

Last edited:
I always point out, the manual E6Bs have example problems silk screened on the E6B. If you have a brain freeze on a problem, look at the examples. It has the wind correction formulas, how to calculate true air speed, and a bunch of other things that can be useful.
Also - the paper test supplement book they give you has a lot of information in it. You can download the on-line version and look at it ahead of time. There are chart legends that identify symbols you may be asked about on the written. The question may not refer you to a chart - but the answer may be in one of the legends. I remember looking something up on the CFI-I written.

I used my electronic E6B to create a True Airspeed table at 10°C intervals.
That's a great use for an electronic E6B. Taking the written, too, because the precision can help you choose between the FAA's answers.

I switched from the E6B to the CR-5 in the late 1980s. Fits in a shirt pocket and has additional capabilities that most E6Bs don't. i.e. Compressibility for TAS and Ram Rise calculations. I've never had an electronic version.

I trim for desired TAS based on altitude and air temp.
You trim for speed in cruise? How do you maintain altitude?

Yep used ASA CX-3 for PPL written in 2021 and IFR written in 2023 no issues at all.

Here is a novel idea: why not use the electronic E6B to learn how to better use the Analog E6B? Then you will have mastered both and will be a better pilot because of it.
Since I got my private in 1990, I haven’t used either except for teaching and knowledge tests, so you’ll have to explain how the choice of tool to calculate flight plans makes one a better or worse pilot.

When I took the test, the test software had its own E6b. I had a Sporty's electronic one with me but never used it. The one on the test computer was all I needed.
This. Mine also had it's own E6b calculator software.

Since I got my private in 1990, I haven’t used either except for teaching and knowledge tests, so you’ll have to explain how the choice of tool to calculate flight plans makes one a better or worse pilot.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't touched an E6B in years. Totally unnecessary in modern practice. Good, bad or indifferent, I'm a CFII/MEI and I cannot use a manual E6B (I could probably figure it out using the instructions, but if you handed me one, I can't immediately use it).

And for the record, back in 2000 when I got my PPL, I used an electronic E6B at that time, so they're 100% allowed. What you can't use is, for example, the E6B app on your phone. It has to be a dedicated electronic E6B like the ones referenced above from Sporty's.

I was allowed to use my ASA CX-3. The rules are that you have to remove the batteries in front of the test proctor to prove all memory has been cleared. Used December of 2021.
That's what I had to do in 2021 for my instrument written. I also had to leave my phone and Apple watch in a box with the front desk while I took the test. Made sense, but I'd never thought about the watch also being used during a test. That would make it very obvious that you're cheating.

I was allowed to use my ASA CX-3. The rules are that you have to remove the batteries in front of the test proctor to prove all memory has been cleared. Used December of 2021.

Apparently the FAA has not yet learned of non-volatile memory, which says something about the organization's technological prowess.

I used ASA CX-3 for both PPL and (just earlier today) IRA. It’s too bulky to take in flight. I’ve only ever used it for test prep and taking, otherwise I use Sporty’s E6B app on my phone. I wish they let you use that for the test so any time spent practicing for test prep used what I plan to use outside of the testing environment, but understandable why not.

I also spent the time learning the physical E6B mostly just for fun, and appreciated the time spent - it gives you a much more direct appreciation for wind correction if nothing else. Also a physical analog for performing cross products I don’t think you get any other way (slide rule?).

it gives you a much more direct appreciation for wind correction if nothing else
The main reason I like the physical E6B for training. I don’t really care if the student uses one or not, but it makes for a great demo.

Besides, it it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me!
1710853620487.png

Even for crosswind components, if you remember that the sin of 30* is 0.5 and sin of 45* is 0.7, you can do most of them in your head.

Even for crosswind components, if you remember that the sin of 30* is 0.5 and sin of 45* is 0.7, you can do most of them in your head.

I try not to sin.

giphy.gif

Hey, all! I’m finally knocking out the written… just in the nick of time, too. Checkride isn’t too far off!

While endorsing my logbook for the written after today’s flight, I asked if I could use my electronic E6B for the PPL written, and I was told that I need to use the mechanical calculator. Fine, fine, I got the electronic one off eBay for not too much, I’m not upset about that — but I’m confused. Everything I’ve seen points to me being able to use it. I’d like to use it — it eliminates the chance that I misread the whiz wheel, it removes the guesswork of “is it closer to this hash mark or the other?”, and I think it saves time.

I don’t want to go against my CFI, and I don’t want to screw myself over by arriving for the test with nonpermissible equipment, but I also want to use every tool I can, and I believe that includes the calculator.

Haven’t scheduled the test with PSI yet (need to call the help desk to reset my IACRA password in the morning first), but my understanding is that they’ll let me know what’s allowed.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?
You definitely can

You definitely can. I have used the electronic E6B on all the written tests I've taken in the past 5 years.

Having said that, I do find it easier to be more precise with the electronic E6B.

The wind side of the E6b is really all you need to learn for the private pilot written test. The speed and fuel problems can be easily completed with a normal calculator. Density altitude and be calculated using the diagram in the test supplement. Hopefully you know TAS is about 10 knots greater than IAS for the FAA test questions and don’t bother doing the calculation

Back