Cessna 172 Windshield change

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
It’s time to change my windshield. The old one is checking pretty bad now. There’s an old guy at the field who swears up and down a skilled AP/IA can swap a 172 windshield without drilling the boot cowl rivets out. He says you bend and warp the top around and you can get the old out and the new one in that way. I call BS on it. If that’s true… man… would that be so much easier. They sure seem like a nightmare to change in a 172. Thanks all.

Last edited:
I call BS on it.
Not really. But I've found it more aircraft specific depending on several factors. Matter of fact if you look in the restart 182 service manual they tell you to push the windshield out without removing nothing... or to remove the TOP retainer strip. But yes Virginia it can be done without removing the lower forward windshield retainer strip. The key part by the old guy in your post is "a skilled AP/IA.";)

I call BS as well.
I just assisted in a windshield change on a 56 C180. There is no way you could ever remove the old window without breaking it into pieces. Impossible to install a new one without pulling the strip off the boot cowl. Even if you could, how would you trim the windshield to fit? I have been around 3 windshield installs, all required considerable trimming.

An old Cessna like mine has screws, not rivets.

I believe it actually can be done without but I did remove the bottom retainer to install my 172M windshield.

There used to be a mechanic at a remote airport around here who would do super quick Cessna windshield changes without removing the retainers. Strangest thing, he wouldn’t allow anyone watch. He’d shut the hanger doors and knock it out in record time. It was frustrating because it could sometimes take a full day in our shop.
There was a lot of speculation about how he got it done so quickly. Some of our mechanics thought he was trimming it down more than normal and then heating the windshield to allow it to flex into place. Never heard of anyone having a problem with his work though.

The 182 manual says to sit inside with 2 people and push it outward. Makes no mention of drilling the strip.

the old window without breaking it into pieces.
That's a technique issue. I've cracked them on removal but never in pieces. Ambient temperature is everything in window work. Everything.
Impossible to install a new one without pulling the strip off the boot cowl.
Opinion. Its done by many.;)
how would you trim the windshield to fit?
I've always used the old windshield as a pattern to trim then overlayed it to check final dimensions before install.
An old Cessna like mine has screws
FYI: thats because someone already replaced the rivets per the mx manual option which if you do remove the retainer strip I highly recommend.

Some of our mechanics thought he was trimming it down more than normal
FYI: The window is designed to float in the mounts. A number of people do not trim enough or bevel/smooth the trim edges. Or clean all the junk/sealant out the mount channels. Or, etc.
then heating the windshield to allow it to flex into place
As I mentioned ambient temperature is everything when removing/installing windows. He probably didn't want you to see how much "abuse" that window can take then yell at him to stop. Plus if he was using localized heating on the window you would usually spot it as it distorts the plastic. Installing a Cessna windshield without removing the retainers is as close to an art as it gets in my opinion.

I think Dan said he has done it this way, using windshields purchased from Cessna (no trimming needed I guess) and leave them in the sun to warm them up before messing with them.

The price of a new windshield + the cost of shipping, there is no way in hell I'd risk cracking a new one because I didn't removed a few retainer strips....

Plus if he was using localized heating on the window you would usually spot it as it distorts the plastic.
I was thinking he placed the windshield in super hot water for heating, which might not distort. Plus he probably kept the ambient shop temp damn near unbearable.

He probably didn't want you to see how much "abuse" that window can take then yell at him to stop.

Ha, I was a jr mechanic in a different shop. But yes, there’s no doubt, he didn’t want his customers or possibly even the FAA seeing the physical abuse he inflicted on those windshields. The one-hour window change would have been a sight to see alright!

Last edited:
I think Dan said he has done it this way, using windshields purchased from Cessna (no trimming needed I guess) and leave them in the sun to warm them up before messing with them.

The price of a new windshield + the cost of shipping, there is no way in hell I'd risk cracking a new one because I didn't removed a few retainer strips....

its 25-30 more hours at $105 an hour. You make it sound like it’s a 2 hour job.

25 to 30 more hours for what? Removing the retainers? You're only looking at an additional couple hours to remove and reinstall the retainers. It’s not that big of a deal.
Seems like we would typicality plan an 8 hour day for a Cessna windshield job, which included removing and reinstalling the retainers. I replaced ALL the windows and windshield in a 172 once. Took about 40 hours with a helper.

Even with removing the retainers and chasing bucktails/nuts behind the panel that seems a bit high but if there's a lot of prep/paint touch up required or that is for 2 people working on it then it could easily hit that. Without removing the retainers I'd usually bid 6-10 hours with 16hrs being the max which was also dependent on the current window installation. Sometimes if the windshield was replaced previously there could be some issues that would require a bit more work..

Re using adhesive (Bostik 1100) to install that windshield: Cessna used felt strips for a reason. It's to let the fuselage flex around the windshield without breaking it. Ever hear a creaking/squeaking noise when you start the engine? That's the windshield moving in its mounts as the firewall twists and flexes the front doorposts. Landing in a crab can really flex that structure, and a glued-in windshield is likely to break. Cold weather shrinks the acrylic windshield more than the aluminum structure, stressing it that way as well. More cracking.

There is nothing like doing a job right. Shortcuts are often false economies. I know that drilling off that bottom strip is a pain, with rivet bucktails trying to fall into your radios and other electrical stuff, and it sure is more pain trying to buck new rivets or install nuts on screws when there is so much stuff in the way in there. And old fiberglass insulation under there that crumbles and falls into your eyes and down your neck and itches like mad...

The mismatch at the wing roots is a problem with some aftermarket windshields. That low area has to be built up with felt tape or there'll be a nasty draft coming into the cabin there, along with any rain you fly through.

Re using adhesive (Bostik 1100) to install that windshield: Cessna used felt strips for a reason. It's to let the fuselage flex around the windshield without breaking it. Ever hear a creaking/squeaking noise when you start the engine? That's the windshield moving in its mounts as the firewall twists and flexes the front doorposts. Landing in a crab can really flex that structure, and a glued-in windshield is likely to break. Cold weather shrinks the acrylic windshield more than the aluminum structure, stressing it that way as well. More cracking.

There is nothing like doing a job right. Shortcuts are often false economies. I know that drilling off that bottom strip is a pain, with rivet bucktails trying to fall into your radios and other electrical stuff, and it sure is more pain trying to buck new rivets or install nuts on screws when there is so much stuff in the way in there. And old fiberglass insulation under there that crumbles and falls into your eyes and down your neck and itches like mad...

The mismatch at the wing roots is a problem with some aftermarket windshields. That low area has to be built up with felt tape or there'll be a nasty draft coming into the cabin there, along with any rain you fly through.

I was somewhat reluctant to post that video due to that part of it. The sole reason that I posted it was in response to Skip’s post as it talked about popping the windshield out and back in without removing the strip. I was not advocating for the video’s material substitution. I guess I should have stated that rather than just posting the video without comment.

Bell206 listed the key ingredient in working with big expensive chunks of plexi. Shop temperature. I would avoid doing this kind of work in a cool weather unless the shop has total responsibility for the project - buying the new windshield, installing it, etc. You don't want to be in the middle of the "Who's on first?" discussion if you bought the windshield and it broke when the shop installed it. Defective windshield? Poor shop practice? The argument starts now...

There are plenty of tragic stories in the RV community of people cracking $1,000 plastic canopies that had 50 or 100 man-hours already invested in fabrication and assembly. Shop temperature, the correct drill bits (if necessary), edge smoothing, and finesse are the prevention measures.

As far as I know, there's no better substitute for acrylic (Plexiglas is a trade name for the stuff). Lexan (trade name for polycarbonate) is far easier to bend and drill and cut without cracking, but it's a whole lot fussier about being heated and draped or blown, and it scratches far too easily. The day someone comes up with an easily-heat-formed plastic that can be cut, folded or drilled like sheet metal and that doesn't take scratches, will be a good day.

easily-heat-formed plastic that can be cut, folded or drilled like sheet metal and that doesn't take scratches, will be a good day.
"Transparent aluminum"? Beam me up Danny boy.:)

But closer to home this might work it's way into the mix one day... aluminum oxynitride.

I replaced the windshield in my C175 using the method outlined in the video above. This was an LP aero extra thick. Temps in my hangar were around 118 degrees at the time, and though a bit difficult, results were very good. This was eleven years ago, and there have been no issues. I recently saw a C172 that used screws and nuts to replace the rivets, looked like a good clean installation. This may be an option to bucking all those buggers.

This may be an option to bucking all those buggers.
FYI: the Cessna mx manuals I'm familiar with provide an option to use screws, nuts, or rivnuts. In some cases I've fabricated nutplate strips and riveted those in place of a nut/rivnut.

Here’s a pic of my 172 shop manual.

Attachments

• CA940426-16BA-4D28-AAE7-F1EF3968F7C9.jpeg
    CA940426-16BA-4D28-AAE7-F1EF3968F7C9.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 30

Add: Windscreens done properly in 182s can leak, not doing them correctly pretty much assures it.

Anything wrong with using Cherry Max?

Rivnuts are great prep for “ next time”.

I haven’t found cherry max to leak. Don’t know if I’ve never seen one leak in a normal installation. Maybe in a high workload/high heat area, like thrust reversers. We used them all the time at the airlines. I have had numerous problems with rivnuts spinning in please during screw removal. Can’t stand it when that happens.

Anything wrong with using Cherry Max?
At one time there was a doc on using regular Cherry MS rivets (bulbs) in that location. Cherry Max are a bit over kill and could lead to future issues when being removed. But if you're going to the trouble of removing the retainer, reinstalling with screws and nuts/nutplates is a better route in my experience. I'm not a fan of using rivnuts in that application.
they leak
FYI: In some cases a little low adhesion sealant is needed with any blind rivet especially if not self-plugging or over/under drawn.
will be hell for the next windshield job
Agree. Especially if the lock collar is not fully ground off prior to removal.

There seems to be a lot of folks who have successfully replaced the windshields without the time spent on removing the strip. Sounds like it’s an easy job if you make a shoe horn jig and high ambient temps.

Well, they leak and will be hell for the next windshield job. I almost hate those damn rivets.
Yeah. You'll spend a LOT of time getting them out again, especially in a flexible spot like the boot cowl. Impossible to drill due to that hardened pulling stem, making the drill wander off into the aluminum and making "snowman holes" in the cowl. The only way I have found to get them out is to grind the head down with a die grinder and carbide burr to just above the skin surface, which removes the upper stem and locking washer, then push the remaining stem out and drill the remainder. This won't work on countersunk CherryMaxes.

Rivnuts are great prep for “ next time”.
The rivnut's top collar will act as a spacer under the windshield retaining strip. That makes it less rigid and stable against the boot cowl. It could rock back and forth a bit. Adhesive sealants under it, like silicone, can damage the skin (acetic acid released during cure) and wreck that soft-aluminum strip the next time it has to come off.

Screws and nuts would be best, using dumdum as sealant. That's the ancient stuff similar to the Plasticene that we kids played with. A fine clay mixed with an oil. Conforms to the joint, keeps out drafts and water, and makes removal easy. Doesn't harden. Auto parts shops have it.

upload_2021-12-10_10-44-1.jpeg

The rivnut's top collar will act as a spacer under the windshield retaining strip. That makes it less rigid and stable against the boot cowl. It could rock back and forth a bit. Adhesive sealants under it, like silicone, can damage the skin (acetic acid released during cure) and wreck that soft-aluminum strip the next time it has to come off.

Screws and nuts would be best, using dumdum as sealant. That's the ancient stuff similar to the Plasticene that we kids played with. A fine clay mixed with an oil. Conforms to the joint, keeps out drafts and water, and makes removal easy. Doesn't harden. Auto parts shops have it.

View attachment 102609
Exactly. Rivnuts will raise the strip.

I agree cherry max is definitely overkill but works well and makes the job go quickly. At time for removal I hit the heads with a small die grinder. Could have the whole strip off in probably 30 min. They only thing I don’t like is the pressure a cherry max puts on the retainer. It’s a bit much. I would never use riv-nuts in this application. I am interested in the nut plate strips that Bell mentioned. Can’t quite visualize it but sounds like the way to go.

Can’t quite visualize it but sounds like the way to go.
The link below will give you a rough visual idea, but for the windshield look at it as though you are making one or a series of doubler strips for the retainer mount holes. Cut the strip(s) from .020 or .025 as narrow as possible that conform to the shape of the windshield frame. Transfer the existing holes to the strip(s) then flush rivet some 6/32 floating nutplates to the aft side of the strip. I usually tack rivet the strips in place but that’s just me. If you don’t just be sure you use a stud or other screw to hold strip in place after you remove the retainer screws.
http://www.comancheflyer.com/NS/tech_articles/nut_plate_strip.pdf

Got it. Never seen nutplate strips installed on an airplane like that before. At first it kinda sounded like a nonstandard mod but the more I think about it, it’s nothing more than a doubler with properly attached nutplate. Nice example. That area tends to become horribly corroded. Probably one of the worst areas on a Cessna. I’ve heard of mechanics cleaning the corrosion and placing a doubler behind there to beef it up. The nutplate strip wold at least help strengthen in that situation.

Back