Cessna 172 engine out while on the ground.

It depends, but you'll usually pay $30-40 less an hour then a rental for a comparable plane, even when you factor in the monthly dues (you'll hopefully be flying at least 10 hours a month, so it spreads out well). Some clubs even have student memberships that limit you to a certain plane but it's cheaper. Also, almost every club out there charges tach time, not hobbs time (real time). Which means all that time spent at 2000 RPM in the pattern really saves you a ton of money as well.

I'll give you an example. I was in a club at GAI when I lived there. They had a student membership that was $500 to buy in (refundable), $90 a month for dues, and $104 an hour for a very well equipped Piper Warrior.

Now compare that to paying $160 an hour for a G1000 172 or even $130-140 an hour for a steam gauge 172 at most schools.

Also, most independent CFIs are cheaper then schools because there's no middle man. I had one check me out in that club one time and it was $30 an hour.

Yeah, the only thing you can really do is price them. There is A LOT of variability.

Around me, I can get a G1000 172S for $170/hour, a steam gauge 172R with the same autopilot and a KLN94 GPS for $130, and a whole bunch of 172Ns and Ps with Garmin IFR GPS's (most GTN650, a few GNS430W) for $125. One even has a standby electrical vacuum pump, real nice for IFR.

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend a student start with G1000 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they weigh a lot. For the 182s I have ready access to, the weight difference between G1000 and steam is just over 170 lb. It's a lot. And the glass is not at all necessary for VFR; the airplane flies the same with glass except you can fit one less person in it.

Right now, I'm being asked to fly two 182 exercises across the state -- a search and rescue exercise, and a bunch of intro rides for kids. I'm debating whether to take glass or steam. Glass is nice to have for SAR. Kids in glass tend to play the computer game. And that 170 lb comes in.

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend a student start with G1000 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they weigh a lot. For the 182s I have ready access to, the weight difference between G1000 and steam is just over 170 lb. It's a lot.

No way that's an apples-to-apples comparison. Are you comparing a 182P or 182Q to a 182T? The weight difference between most 172SP-steam and 172SP-G1000 is around 45lbs for the planes I see. Ditto between the 182S and 182T.

No way that's an apples-to-apples comparison. Are you comparing a 182P or 182Q to a 182T? The weight difference between most 172SP-steam and 172SP-G1000 is around 45lbs for the planes I see. Ditto between the 182S and 182T.

Sure, it's apples to apples. The OP is not limited to airplanes less than 10 years old.

A 172SP isn't a good choice either. They are fat pigs. A 172N has better power/weight even with the smaller engine. And 40 deg flaps.

The steam gauge 182 I have access to is an R model. It has extra equipment in it, such as two GPS's, direction finder, tactical radio, engine monitor, fuel totalizer, even a useless ADF. What it doesn't have is an autopilot. While you can get steam airplanes with no autopilot, G1000s just didn't come that way.

Sure, it's apples to apples. The OP is not limited to airplanes less than 10 years old.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of apples-to-apples comparison.

An injected Lycoming 540 adds about 100-130lbs over a carb'ed Continental 470 (plus 26g seats, vents that don't pop open on their own, a fuselage that rusts less, etc). A 182R has a Continental O-470 and a 6pack. A 182S has a Lycoming IO-540 and a 6pack. Most 182T's have a Lycoming IO-540 and a G1000. Therefore, apples-to-apples a G1000 plane is ~45lbs difference.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of apples-to-apples comparison.

An injected Lycoming 540 adds about 100-130lbs over a carb'ed Continental 470 (plus 26g seats, vents that don't pop open on their own, a fuselage that rusts less, etc). A 182R has a Continental O-470 and a 6pack. A 182S has a Lycoming IO-540 and a 6pack. Most 182T's have a Lycoming IO-540 and a G1000. Therefore, apples-to-apples a G1000 plane is ~45lbs difference.

G1000 stuff is heavy. I've had it out. It adds up quickly, and the lead-acid standby battery ahead of the panel isn't light, either.

The restart airframes ('97 and on) are heavier because they were beefed up in some weak areas and had fancier interiors. A 172SP weighs 300 pounds more, empty, than a 172M. Some of that is G1000, some is the 26G seats, some is the bigger engine, some is thicker structure.

Give me a break... really? The number of hours dont make a pilot any better or worse of an instructor. Are you a flight instructor? i sure didnt come out of the womb with a few thousand hours, thats for sure.
Trust no one. With six hundred hours he still a beginner. A ppl is only a license to learn. Try to find an experienced instructor with a few thousand hours at least. Your fault. Sorry.

Usually the brand new instructor is the one who's up to date on all the new stuff that the Fuzz come up with. Nothing at all wrong with the young new guys.

Usually the brand new instructor is the one who's up to date on all the new stuff that the Fuzz come up with. Nothing at all wrong with the young new guys.
There's plenty wrong with them! They often have just a few more hours than the student. Few if any will teach a stall spin scenario and many don't even like a full stall. Recovery from unusual attitudes also. There is nothing that replaces experience and that comes with hours and hours of flying. I was taught all this as a student long time ago in a champ on a 2000 foot runway. Was I a better pilot as a result? You bet I was ! Learning to fly a 172 on a 6000 foot runway is not comparable.

Other than no real operational experience, you are correct.
And flight instructing increases the operational experience? Only instructors with 400TT, 750TT are any good?

Time is just a number. 10,000 hours around the pattern isn't worth much.

Give me a break... really? The number of hours dont make a pilot any better or worse of an instructor. Are you a flight instructor? i sure didnt come out of the womb with a few thousand hours, thats for sure.
Are you any better of a pilot now than you were when you were brand new?

And flight instructing increases the operational experience? Only instructors with 400TT, 750TT are any good?

Time is just a number. 10,000 hours around the pattern isn't worth much.
Flight Time is not just a number, it is a number that represents time operating an aircraft. Surely you won't argue that no knowledge is gained during that time?

I got my CFI with 280 hours. I'd still be there if no one gave me a shot at instructing!

Flight Time is not just a number, it is a number that represents time operating an aircraft. Surely you won't argue that no knowledge is gained during that time?
We had a 7000 hour ATP that failed CRJ training here and didn't even make it past ground school. Sure it's usually anomaly but it happens.

This!

I won't argue that. But I will argue that there are 300 hour TT instructors out there that are better than some 1400hr+ TT instructors.

I won't argue that. But I will argue that there are 300 hour TT instructors out there that are better than some 1400hr+ TT instructors.
Not all flight time is equal, and not all pilots with equal flight time are equal, but flight time does signify something, namely experience. In general, more flight time should be a decent indicator of experience when the type of flight time is considered.

There's plenty wrong with them! They often have just a few more hours than the student. Few if any will teach a stall spin scenario and many don't even like a full stall. Recovery from unusual attitudes also. There is nothing that replaces experience and that comes with hours and hours of flying. I was taught all this as a student long time ago in a champ on a 2000 foot runway. Was I a better pilot as a result? You bet I was ! Learning to fly a 172 on a 6000 foot runway is not comparable.
Just to be clear, you're conflating an engine failure on landing caused by an unknown reason -- on a discovery flight, no less -- with being new and afraid to teach a stall/spin scenario? And then because you're a Champ pilot who learned on a 2000 foot runway this silliness would never happen to you.

I've flown all over the Midwest on long runways, short runways, grass runways, rain-soaked runways, icy runways, and snowy runways. I have had an engine fail on landing due to a mechanical issue, despite following a checklist to a tee and having the mixture and all other controls set appropriately. It can happen to anyone.

We had a 7000 hour ATP that failed CRJ training here and didn't even make it past ground school. Sure it's usually anomaly but it happens.
And the airlines count on that being an anomaly. That's why there are hiring minimums, and typically a logbook review for the hiring process. As for a high time pilot flunking out, it can happen. But there are a lot of factors that can contribute to failure besides lack of skill.

Just to be clear, you're conflating an engine failure on landing caused by an unknown reason -- on a discovery flight, no less -- with being new and afraid to teach a stall/spin scenario? And then because you're a Champ pilot who learned on a 2000 foot runway this silliness would never happen to you.

I've flown all over the Midwest on long runways, short runways, grass runways, rain-soaked runways, icy runways, and snowy runways. I have had an engine fail on landing due to a mechanical issue, despite following a checklist to a tee and having the mixture and all other controls set appropriately. It can happen to anyone.
Dear gold seal instructor. You have arrived late in the conversation and seemed to have missed how the statements made progressed to the point I made this statement. I have also had engines fail , both in a Stearman and a mooney, ( at teterboro) My point is that an instructor with high time in the air is in most cases far better than a low time CFI trying to build time. Low time to me for instructing would be a pilot with under 2-3000 hours total time , not simply flying the pattern as one silly comment implied. . My early training and experience flying off and on for fourty years saved me in both instances. They were due to lousy mechanics which are another threat to today's GA which is in slow decline.

And the airlines count on that being an anomaly. That's why there are hiring minimums, and typically a logbook review for the hiring process. As for a high time pilot flunking out, it can happen. But there are a lot of factors that can contribute to failure besides lack of skill.
Yep and the reality is that there a few ways to get experience other than instructing. You'll always find that person who landed right seat in a biz jet with a wet commercial multi but for the most part a lot of people will have to flight instruct in order to start their career.

I personally would not fly it.

Most of the time my final leg of the pattern is at idle, or nearly so. What if I have to do a go-around just as I am about to put the mains down? Will the engine stall because it was at idle during the approach to land?

I wouldnt feel all that good about that.

Does the FAA have new regulations yearly?

Does the FAA have new regulations yearly?
It's not just regs. Things do change.

One current example is that the practical test standards have recently been expanded to include the written test.

CFIs have to get continuing education to keep their certification, so the out of date statement is a red herring.

CFI have to get continuing education to keep their certification, so the out of date statement is a red herring.
This might be a surprise, especially on PoA, but old people are usually very stuck in their ways and resistant to change.

This might be a surprise, especially on PoA, but old people are usually very stuck in their ways and resistant to change.

I believe that is a generalization, I have seen many younger people who are set in their ways as well, It really comes down to personality. To a 20 year old, I'm considered "Old" but I love to learn new things and adapt to a quickly changing world.

I believe that is a generalization
Yes this is very much a generalization. Just like:
Trust no one. With six hundred hours he still a beginner. A ppl is only a license to learn. Try to find an experienced instructor with a few thousand hours at least. Your fault. Sorry.
is a massive generalization.

The real answer is, has been, and will always be "it depends". Yes, even with checklist usage.

Last edited:

Not all are created equal... I'm not a CFI yet, but at 300 hours I was flying a J5 across the country in July.
Are you any better of a pilot now than you were when you were brand new?
I hope I'm better after every flight. I've had CFI's with less hours than me that still taught me a thing or two and were good instructors. And I've had the opposite too.
I got my CFI with 280 hours. I'd still be there if no one gave me a shot at instructing!

Not all flight time is equal, and not all pilots with equal flight time are equal, but flight time does signify something, namely experience. In general, more flight time should be a decent indicator of experience when the type of flight time is considered.
That is right on, I don't care about hours, we have pilots at my home base that only fly with winds under 5mph, and ones that fly whenever they can.

Go fly and don't give any attention to the haters. Do you.

Not all are created equal... I'm not a CFI yet, but at 300 hours I was flying a J5 across the country in July.

I hope I'm better after every flight. I've had CFI's with less hours than me that still taught me a thing or two and were good instructors. And I've had the opposite too.

That is right on, I don't care about hours, we have pilots at my home base that only fly with winds under 5mph, and ones that fly whenever they can.

Go fly and don't give any attention to the haters. Do you.

I agree, with every flight you should learn as much as you can to get better. How do you determine if a CFI is for you and how would you determine if he/she is a SAFE and Competent pilot?

I personally would not fly it.

Most of the time my final leg of the pattern is at idle, or nearly so. What if I have to do a go-around just as I am about to put the mains down? Will the engine stall because it was at idle during the approach to land?

I wouldnt feel all that good about that.

There's a reason the idle check is in the checklist. I'd return to the FBO if it failed the idle check on the second attempt. The one small bit of solace for the issue you raised about being at or near idle on final is that the prop wouldn't be as likely to stop turning with the prevailing wind helping keep it in motion. It might be enough to prevent the engine from dying completely, but it's not something I'd be staking my life on!

There's a reason the idle check is in the checklist. I'd return to the FBO if it failed the idle check on the second attempt. The one small bit of solace for the issue you raised about being at or near idle on final is that the prop wouldn't be as likely to stop turning with the prevailing wind helping keep it in motion. It might be enough to prevent the engine from dying completely, but it's not something I'd be staking my life on!

Actually, the idle check is NOT in the 172N checklist. Almost all of us do it, though. It is in the 172S checklist.

Actually, the idle check is NOT in the 172N checklist. Almost all of us do it, though. It is in the 172S checklist.

I did not know that but I haven't had a chance to fly the pre-P models, I knew it was in my checklist for the R/S and the 172RG.

But, but but.... the checklist is infallible!!!!

It's not in my M checklist either. Nor are a lot of things. There's a reason it's a checklist and not a do-list, nor should it be treated as the instruction manual for the airplane. We're taught and trained to fly these airplanes. We're not just monkeys banging around here. The checklist is to make sure you didn't forget something super-duper-critical like a landing gear. Something like strobes may not show up because you won't die if you forget.

I've never seen it in a checklist.

While my list of flown planes isn't extensive, it includes Pipers, a Socata, Cessnas (182RG and 182P), and an M20J.

I guess it's pretty hit or miss depending on the plane and whether it's included.

I always do it though. My instructor drilled it into me early on when I started flying.

We have "below 1000 rpm" on the before takeoff checklist for the club 172s. N and P models. I do a full idle check. Always a good idea even if it isn't in the checklist.

It's not in the 172P or 172RG checklists either. Once again, we all do it anyway.

My SureCheck 172RG specifies throttle-full back/1000rpm on the run-up section. It's not the POH checklist, but I don't keep a copy of the Gutless POH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back