Cessna 172 engine out while on the ground.

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Question for all of the experienced Cessna people out there. I was in a Cessna on a discovery flight we took off and landed without any issues but when we were on the ground the engine sputtered and then shut off. It was hard to get it started again. He turned everything off, (Avionics) and then back on again and finally it started. He told me that every time the plane is in idle and the AC is on the engine cuts off. Does this normally happen in Cessna's or should I stay clear away from this flight school?

Thank you!

No, no, no. That is not normal.

Most airplanes don't have air conditioning at all. And those that do require it to be turned OFF for landing. This airplane should NEVER be landed with the air conditioning on.

It is VERY important that the engine not quit at idle. Most of us check that prior to takeoff and will reject an airplane that won't idle. That an instructor is not taking that seriously is a big red flag, and you're right to be concerned.

It's possible the air conditioner is overcharged, leading to starting (and slow crank) problems. It will get better with time as the pressure equalizes. But it needs to be fixed. Now. It will be worse if it's stupid-hot, but Florida really doesn't get THAT hot, and the engine shouldn't quit even if you land at Death Valley and it's 130 deg out.

It's possible the instructor is just an idiot and he landed with the engine aggressively leaned from altitude and not adjusted during descent (injected engines sometimes have problems metering fuel under these conditions). It won't necessarily die until the rollout. Then, the air conditioner is just an excuse and the instructor can't handle the airplane. It should be landed full rich unless it's ridiculously hot.

Last edited:
Having the engine quit at idle ,would be a no go for me ,untill I had it checked by a mechanic.

Another thing to check is carb heat. Did you use carb heat on final? In very humid conditions I have had a Piper Archer (generally less susceptible to carb ice than Brand C) ice up on final then stumble and stall on the runway after landing on a very humid day.

-Skip

Another thing to check is carb heat. Did you use carb heat on final? In very humid conditions I have had a Piper Archer (generally less susceptible to carb ice than Brand C) ice up on final then stumble and stall on the runway after landing on a very humid day.

-Skip

If this happened, that instructor shouldn't be allowed near an airplane. Especially if he tried to hide not using the before-landing checklist with a lame excuse about air conditioning.

If it has air conditioning it is probably a late model 172. Some have total electric units that don't have to be shut off on take off and landing. It probably also has fuel injection and it can die as you pull off the runway in hot conditions. Sometimes you have to turn the fuel pump on the low setting to keep a vapor Lock from occurring. I hav had this happen ocassionally on several planes. Once you get in habit of turning pump on problem usually go's away.

Is this the same school that wanted you to sign the waiver? Sounds like strike two.

No AC on landing or the ground???? That makes no sense to me. You don't need AC at 6000 feet.... You need it on the ground when it is 110 degrees in Texas. That is the stupidest thing I have seen. Can't land with AC in the heat. LOL!

It was a 2006 Cessna 172, I believe it has fuel injection.

-Skip
If this happened, that instructor shouldn't be allowed near an airplane. Especially if he tried to hide not using the before-landing checklist with a lame excuse about air conditioning.

He didn't use a checklist, it was a rushed intro flight because of the weather.

If it has air conditioning it is probably a late model 172. Some have total electric units that don't have to be shut off on take off and landing. It probably also has fuel injection and it can die as you pull off the runway in hot conditions. Sometimes you have to turn the fuel pump on the low setting to keep a vapor Lock from occurring. I hav had this happen ocassionally on several planes. Once you get in habit of turning pump on problem usually go's away.

Yep, it was hot (90 degrees) and the engine quit while I was practicing how to taxi. It was a G1000 Cessna 172

Is this the same school that wanted you to sign the waiver? Sounds like strike two.

Yep it sure was, and I'm not going to make it strike three because I might be out...permanently.

No AC on landing or the ground???? That makes no sense to me. You don't need AC at 6000 feet.... You need it on the ground when it is 110 degrees in Texas. That is the stupidest thing I have seen. Can't land with AC in the heat. LOL!

You can use the AC on the ground, just not during take-off and landing because it saps power from the engine. If you have to go-around would you rather be able to climb, or be cool while struggling to clear the trees?

I almost guarantee it was electric ac. You can leave on all the time. That's about all Orlando air puts in these days. They are great units. I've looked into putting in our planes. I wouldn't be at all afraid to fly in this plane.

Him not using a paper checklist is not a big deal.

It's a 172 and he's probably got plenty of time in it.

I've read both your threads and you seem to be looking for reasons to be scared off. Maybe decide if this is something you really want to do. I'm not excusing the engine dying if it's a legit maintenance issue, but there are also legitimate reasons it may of happened that have nothing to do with the airworthiness of the plane.

In this case, you are talking a newer G1000 172 with fuel injection. It's very unlikely it's a clunker or unsafe. Probably just had an issue with the fuel injection from the heat.

Last edited:
I almost guarantee it was electric ac. You can leave on all the time. That's about all Orlando air puts in these days. They are great units. I've looked into putting in our planes. I wouldn't be at all afraid to fly in this plane.
Even though the engine quit?

Electrical air conditioners still use engine power unless they are battery powered.

I've read both your threads and you seem to be looking for reasons to be scared off. Maybe decide if this is something you really want to do. I'm not excusing the engine dying if it's a legit maintenance issue, but there are also legitimate reasons it may of happened that have nothing to do with the airworthiness of the plane.

In this case, you are talking a newer G1000 172 with fuel injection. It's very unlikely it's a clunker or unsafe. Probably just had an issue with the fuel injection from the heat.
A professional pilot who does not use a checklist IS a big deal, regardless of how much time he has in it. As an instructor, it's a **** poor example, and as a professional, it's incompetent. That's how MD-80s take off with no flaps or slats and kill over 100 people.

A professional pilot who does not use a checklist IS a big deal, regardless of how much time he has in it. As an instructor, it's a **** poor example, and as a professional, it's incompetent. That's how MD-80s take off with no flaps or slats and kill over 100 people.

Who p*ssed in your cornflakes?

It's a 172 not a md80.

Who p*ssed in your cornflakes?

It's a 172 not a md80.
And there are ways to kill people with flaps in a 172 as well. Just not as many (usually).

Checklists matter. A professional who doesn't use them is an amateur with an extra certification he's not qualified for. Literally -- read the CSEL PTS.

And there are ways to kill people with flaps in a 172 as well. Just not as many (usually).

Checklists matter. A professional who doesn't use them is an amateur with an extra certification he's not qualified for. Literally -- read the CSEL PTS.
Indeed. I still don't understand people who say, "it's just a 172 you don't need a checklist." It's about checklist discipline. Start early in your 172 days and you'll have good discipline once you fly a 737.

You can preach whatever you want (it may even be good advice). That's not the point though. The fact is, it's not unusual for a CFI who's in a 172 15+ hours a week to not use a paper landing checklist (which was the discussion) when on an intro flight and it's not a reason to bash an instructor you otherwise don't know anything about. My CFI didn't use one on my intro flight.

Last edited:
Depends on how he uses the checklist. "Read and do" or "flow and check?" Either way you're using the checklist. Back up your flow with a checklist and you're still accomplishing every item on it. Who's to say that he didn't use his checklist?

You can preach whatever you want (it may even be good advice). That's not the point though. The fact is, it's not unusual for a CFI who's in a 172 15+ hours a week to not use a paper landing checklist (which was the discussion) when on an intro flight and it's not a reason to bash an instructor you otherwise don't know anything about. My CFI didn't use one on my intro flight.
Neither did mine. And when I learned about weight and balance, I figured out she had also overloaded the 152. Good thing it was winter.

Competency is not determined by the number of people screwing up. This instructor has a basic flaw that would prevent him from passing any FAA pilot checkride. Yes, that's a reason to "bash" him. And if every other CFI did that, too, then they would all be wrong. Except there are some out there who do it adequately or better.

Let's look at something else. He didn't use a checklist because he was rushing ahead of weather. Do you consider that competent ADM? I don't.

That can and has killed people. Even in 172s. As has complacency.

So, what else did that rush cause him to skip? He's already busted on the checklist alone.

Last edited:
Does the OP know the difference in checklist usage? He's a prospective student. Would he know about flows and checklists?

Question for all of the experienced Cessna people out there. I was in a Cessna on a discovery flight we took off and landed without any issues but when we were on the ground the engine sputtered and then shut off. It was hard to get it started again. He turned everything off, (Avionics) and then back on again and finally it started. He told me that every time the plane is in idle and the AC is on the engine cuts off. Does this normally happen in Cessna's or should I stay clear away from this flight school?

Thank you!

Run away

So, what else did that rush cause him to skip? He's already busted on the checklist alone.

You'd have to ask him. Probably better then trying to speculate on his entire competency based on one fact in evidence.

In the case of my CFI, he was an USAF veteran, test pilot (C-17), and jet instructor before he retired from the Pentagon and bought a flight school. Had I written him off because he didn't go line by line while doing his flow on an intro flight, I'd of missed out on a great instructor. And yes, he did drill checklist usage into me while training.

That's a pretty big statement you've made and a pretty broad brush your painting with. What is your experience as a professional pilot?

No. Not normal. Only time I've seen a Cessna 172 do that is landing at a high density altitude airport with the mixture full rich.

...He didn't use a checklist, it was a rushed intro flight because of the weather.

"didn't use a checklist" = strike 1; "rushed" = strike 2, approaching bad weather = strike 3. my first CFI gave me some great advice that I've carried with me...nothing good comes from being in a hurry". I'd find a different CFI and maybe school. a chat with the chief pilot might be a good idea.

Post your location and I'm sure you will get a couple good recommendations on schools.

"didn't use a checklist" = strike 1; "rushed" = strike 2, approaching bad weather = strike 3. my first CFI gave me some great advice that I've carried with me...nothing good comes from being in a hurry". I'd find a different CFI and maybe school. a chat with the chief pilot might be a good idea.

That's fine. But I'd caution that someone on an intro flight may have no idea what they are looking at.

I don't "rush" but I do go through my flow fairly quickly and then check against a list. That's exactly how my DPE encouraged me to do it on my PPL ride. Same with the IFR check ride , which was a different DPE. I've found that to be good advice.

So was he rushed? Or did he fly through his flow in what is actually a very normal way? With the weather, what kind of weather? How close was it? It's not unsafe to go up on an intro flight around the patch even with weather coming later in the afternoon.

There's so much speculation. The best thing in the world for FloridaPilot to do is to simply ask the CFI what was going on and voice concerns. Then make a rational decision to continue or look around.

Either way, the good news for FloridaPilot is that he lives in Florida. I wish I lived in Florida. There are gobs of schools and better yet, flying clubs there. If he's serious about getting his ticket, I'd encourage him to look at flying clubs and independent CFIs as it'll save him a bundle.

The biggest red flag for me given that school would be the G1000 172s. IMO (and only my opinion), there's just no reason to pay that kind of premium on a rental for your PPL. Find a club with a steam gauge 172 or Cherokee and have fun.

Last edited:
How many hours does this instructor have!? is he an old timer or a beginner? does the op even know? How many hours in this type? I'd hate to think how many times I've gotten in the right seat of a shrike with a pilot who flew corsairs in the big war and had probably six-seven thousand hours in shrikes alone, who simply hit the switches , adjusted the throttles, taxied slowly out , letting it warm up a bit, and after using the radio to carefully explain his intentions, hauled azz. I never saw a checklist used. Same with the other high time instructor who used to give me a bi annual. He checked he out in my Stearman which had no check list. I'm going with the fellow who said he doubted there was anything wrong with the airplane and that he would fly it himself. The student even said the CFI was trying to help him beat the weather! The first question I would have asked the instructor was a rundown of his credentials Before I ever flew with him!

That's fine. But I'd caution that someone on an intro flight may have no idea what they are looking at.

I don't "rush" but I do go through my flow fairly quickly and then check against a list. That's exactly how my DPE encouraged me to do it on my PPL ride. Same with the IFR check ride , which was a different DPE. I've found that to be good advice.

So was he rushed? Or did he fly through his flow in what is actually a very normal way? With the weather, what kind of weather? How close was it? It's not unsafe to go up on an intro flight around the patch even with weather coming later in the afternoon.

There's so much speculation. The best thing in the world for FloridaPilot to do is to simply ask the CFI what was going on and voice concerns. Then make a rational decision to continue or look around.

Either way, the good news for FloridaPilot is that he lives in Florida. I wish I lived in Florida. There are gobs of schools and better yet, flying clubs there. If he's serious about getting his ticket, I'd encourage him to look at flying clubs and independent CFIs as it'll save him a bundle.

The biggest red flag for me given that school would be the G1000 172s. IMO (and only my opinion), there's just no reason to pay that kind of premium on a rental for your PPL. Find a club with a steam gauge 172 or Cherokee and have fun.
too sensible! I should add here that I am very careful who I get in an airplane with and have been for over 4000 hours of GA flying. It's kept me well.

Last edited:

Hello, I have been up quite a few times so I'm not afraid to go up at all. If you check my previous posts I love to fly and I do it when time and finances permit. This past tuesday I went up twice, one in a Piper Archer 1977 and one in the 2006 Cessna 172 with two different flight instructors. Both instructors taught very different. The first one just recently came out of the Air force and is VERY busy. Our intro flight was rushed but he actually went through everything we needed to know before and after the flight. He did checklists before the flight, (We went over it together and he showed me what to do). He did a final checklist before landing, On the landing checklist he didn't have a it documented but he announced everything he was doing so I would understand what everything meant. I totally trust him I just can't catch him when he is free.

The second flight was rushed, (I understand most intro flights are) There was a brief flight checklist but not a landing checklist. I asked him why did the engine quit when taxiing and he said: "It was because we had the AC on when the plane is at idle" which probably could've been avoided during a final checklist. Finding the right Flight Instructor, (IMO) is critical because they are going to teach you either good or bad habits that will last throughout your flying. It's best I learn good habits now then try to correct messed up ones. So I'm in no rush.

Depends on how he uses the checklist. "Read and do" or "flow and check?" Either way you're using the checklist. Back up your flow with a checklist and you're still accomplishing every item on it. Who's to say that he didn't use his checklist?

No final checklist, not checking anything just announced to tower he was landing. The wind was picking up and it was rather bumpy because it was thunderstorms here in Florida on Tuesday. It went through the entire state.

Neither did mine. And when I learned about weight and balance, I figured out she had also overloaded the 152. Good thing it was winter.

Competency is not determined by the number of people screwing up. This instructor has a basic flaw that would prevent him from passing any FAA pilot checkride. Yes, that's a reason to "bash" him. And if every other CFI did that, too, then they would all be wrong. Except there are some out there who do it adequately or better.

Let's look at something else. He didn't use a checklist because he was rushing ahead of weather. Do you consider that competent ADM? I don't.

That can and has killed people. Even in 172s. As has complacency.

I think that was pretty much about it, he was a nice guy and I got a chance to see the Skyway Bridge from up top which was pretty cool:

Image.jpg

Does the OP know the difference in checklist usage? He's a prospective student. Would he know about flows and checklists?

From my limited knowledge I would say no, I don't but all of the limited planes I have flown in. The PIC always checked everything before and after while landing. Flaps, 10 degrees, Mixture at full rich..etc

You'd have to ask him. Probably better then trying to speculate on his entire competency based on one fact in evidence.

In the case of my CFI, he was an USAF veteran, test pilot (C-17), and jet instructor before he retired from the Pentagon and bought a flight school. Had I written him off because he didn't go line by line while doing his flow on an intro flight, I'd of missed out on a great instructor. And yes, he did drill checklist usage into me while training.

I have limited knowledge but so far what I have learned I learned from POA, reading and some flights.

How many hours does this instructor have!? is he an old timer or a beginner? does the op even know? How many hours in this type? I'd hate to think how many times I've gotten in the right seat of a shrike with a pilot who flew corsairs in the big war and had probably six-seven thousand hours in shrikes alone, who simply hit the switches , adjusted the throttles, taxied slowly out , letting it warm up a bit, and after using the radio to carefully explain his intentions, hauled azz. I never saw a checklist used. Same with the other high time instructor who used to give me a bi annual. He checked he out in my Stearman which had no check list. I'm going with the fellow who said he doubted there was anything wrong with the airplane and that he would fly it himself. The student even said the CFI was trying to help him beat the weather! The first question I would have asked the instructor was a rundown of his credentials Before I ever flew with him!

This is great advice! something I didn't do. I trusted the company to assign me with someone competent to take me on an intro flight. I asked him how many hours has he flown he told me 600. He has been with the organization for 2 years.

Trust no one. With six hundred hours he still a beginner. A ppl is only a license to learn. Try to find an experienced instructor with a few thousand hours at least. Your fault. Sorry.

Seriously, look at clubs if you really want to do this.

Structured flight schools with G1000 172s are nice, but I'd much rather pay less, be in a good club and do it that way. Then once you have the PPL, you've got planes to actually fly somewhere.

Seriously, look at clubs if you really want to do this.

Structured flight schools with G1000 172s are nice, but I'd much rather pay less, be in a good club and do it that way. Then once you have the PPL, you've got planes to actually fly somewhere.

What is the difference in price?

Back