Cash for plane

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Would you pay cash $100 dollar bills for a aircraft. "This is a no reserve auction and the plane will be sold. However keep in mind, I will only except CASH and that means Hundred Dollar Bills only. So don't bid if you can't come up with the cash". This plane sold for $49K on ebay.

In non-sequential bills dropped at as many as three locations of your choice

If the ol wallet was fat enough to support a large purchase in cash, I'd do it. A bill of sale would be a good enough proof of purchase for me.

if I had the cash, sure. but imma show up with a mutha flippin entourage of dudes with guns a blazin. briefcase handcuffed to my wrist. everyone wearing a dark suit and shades. you know, just like in the movies!

in all fairness you didn't really say anything about 'traveling across country' with the cash. the question just seemed related to paying in cash.

I say I paid cash for my plane, but in reality I handed him a check for the down payment and then a cashier's check for the balance about 3 days before he and I flew her from AZ to TX. So he definitely had all his monies before I took possession.

Now if it had to be hundies... that's odd. Would add to my investigation of certification status, liens, etc.

Trying to understand the scenario better... The OP is interested in a purchase from a no-reserve auction and the seller is wanting 49k paid in full with only cash hunnids? If this is the case then I would have to do some further digging on it and that may pose a red flag.

My first reply was under the impression as eman said, asking if we would make a purchase in cash. Clarify?

There is also another factor to consider. If one withdraws over 10k from their bank the bank is required to report the transaction to the government. This was enacted to catch criminal activity. If the money is found during a police stop and search it may be confiscated.

Perhaps the seller has had a bad experience with a cashiers check. I hear that there have been bogus cashiers checks before.

As one who is selling a plane I am getting tempted to refuse flights in the plane before receiving at least a deposit. There are a lot of tire kickers out there.

There is also another factor to consider. If one withdraws over 10k from their bank the bank is required to report the transaction to the government. This was enacted to catch criminal activity. If the money is found during a police stop and search it may be confiscated.

Perhaps the seller has had a bad experience with a cashiers check. I hear that there have been bogus cashiers checks before.

As one who is selling a plane I am getting tempted to refuse flights in the plane before receiving at least a deposit. There are a lot of tire kickers out there.
yup....and I'd have to explain the reason for the transaction with the seller's name....so the purpose of the cash transaction will be thwarted. :D

but....honestly a cashier's check from a major bank shouldn't be an issue....or even use an escrow company if it's that bad.

it is pretty obvious the seller wants cash to hide it from someone, a wife, IRS, BK, etc, but then there are still people that do not trust banks , right now I don't trust Wells Fargo, or any of them really, I might be getting a new mattress bank.

Do your home work on the plane, get a title search etc, the big obstacle for the buyer is getting $49,000 cash from his bank, with out 80 questions.

Being one of those rich IA's you owners are always whining about, there may be that much in the safe in my basement.

Crap! I just looked and there's only 48.5.

it is pretty obvious the seller wants cash to hide it from someone, a wife, IRS, BK, etc, but then there are still people that do not trust banks , right now I don't trust Wells Fargo, or any of them really, I might be getting a new mattress bank..

I have been known to do a little agriculture banking.....

A few years ago a friend of mine sold his diesel pusher RV. The buyer paid cash. He was actually carrying the cash in a pillow case. The bills were bundled, and he divided the pile into 6 smaller piles. There were 6 of us, and we all counted our assigned pile, wrote it down, then switched piles, wrote it down, and so on until all 6 of us had counted all 6 piles. Turned out the buyer had put in 1000 too much.

There is also another factor to consider. If one withdraws over 10k from their bank the bank is required to report the transaction to the government. This was enacted to catch criminal activity. If the money is found during a police stop and search it may be confiscated..

James will be along shortly to ***** about government oversight and all his other tin-foil hat stuff...:rolleyes:

....The bills were bundled, and he divided the pile into 6 smaller piles. There were 6 of us, and we all counted our assigned pile, wrote it down, then switched piles, wrote it down, and so on until all 6 of us had counted all 6 piles. Turned out the buyer had put in 1000 too much.

wouldn't you only have had to switch piles twice? if the first two counts matched, what is 4 more times gonna do?

We pay for all major purchases with cash. We never get any questions. Nothing to hide, we earned it. We have not paid interest since 2008, before beginning flight training.

We pay for all major purchases with cash. We never get any questions. Nothing to hide, we earned it. We have not paid interest since 2008, before beginning flight training.

Or, put it on your card, let the greedy/piggy bank think they're gonna make a few bucks off you. Then pay it in full when they send the bill. Screw them like they are screwing their customers.

Or, put it on your card, let the greedy/piggy bank think they're gonna make a few bucks off you. Then pay it in full when they send the bill. Screw them like they are screwing their customers.

I use a credit card for everything, and just pay off the balance each month. I only carry cash for tips. I wonder if one of the greedy computers at the bank thinks I will be paying interest. Unsure how that is screwing anyone.

I had to write a check a few months ago. It took me a while to remember how to do that.....:lol:

wouldn't you only have had to switch piles twice? if the first two counts matched, what is 4 more times gonna do?

In case you didn't notice, we discovered that the buyer had put 1000 bucks too much in. After one count, we all counted again, and again until we were positive that it was 1000 over. The sale price was well over 100k. If the first two counts had added up to the expected amount, we might have called it quits.

The seller was happy, the buyer was happy, and the counters got paid with a fish fry and beer, so we were happy.

in all fairness you didn't really say anything about 'traveling across country' with the cash. the question just seemed related to paying in cash.
Can we have a little common sense ? how would you get here with he cash in hand? if you didn't travel with it. would you expect the podunk bank to have that mush cash on deposit?

Can we have a little common sense ? how would you get here with he cash in hand? if you didn't travel with it. would you expect the podunk bank to have that mush cash on deposit?

why don't YOU use a little common sense, tom? do you think if I was expecting to take 50k out of a bank I'd stroll up to the friggin atm? if I or anyone was going to take that amount out, small bank or big bank I would think you'd have to give them notice regardless. why are you assuming I don't live in the same town as the sale? or close enough to pass a bank? why are you so freakin smart that you know everything about this hypothetical scenario that no one else knows? the OP didn't state anything about traveling, then later said travel across the country. how do you know I wouldn't have the seller meet me at the friggin bank and therefore I wouldn't have to get anywhere with cash in hand? did you think about that before you unleashed your dooshbagery on us?

Escrow is your best bet, suppose you buy the Airplane with all cash and then the previous owner reported the airplane stolen?

I wouldn't travel with the 49K I would just go to the city with the airplane and then withdrawal the money from that city. If it's a big bank, it shouldn't be a problem.

Paying cash is not that big of a deal.

Back in 2010, four of us bought an L-4 for $45K. The plan was set: two of us would fly halfway across the country in a 172 to pick it up. Our airline pilot buddy who owned a Cub himself, was scheduled to meet us on a Sunday at the pickup point and fly it home with us, with the 172 being the chase plane. I was scheduled to get the cashier's check on Friday. I got a call from the seller. She said her brother (or uncle?) warned her not to take a cashier's check, unless she could take it to her bank and have it verified. Seriously? I've bought two planes prior to this one, and I used cashier's checks both times. Everyone uses cashier's checks, I said. But she was adamant. I told the guys the deal was probably off, because none of us were available during the following week. My buddy suggested cash. I thought if a cashier's check was a problem for her, a bag full of money might really spook her, but what the heck. I called and explained that we couldn't reschedule for Monday because of everyone's work schedule. I then asked if cash would be okay. Her response came before I had time to blink: "Cash is good." She then went on to say if I was bringing that much cash that she'd be packin'. I told her I would be too, of course. What a weird conversation.

Who really cares if the bank reports the amount? I wasn't buying drugs, just an airplane. The real problem with that much cash is getting it from the bank. Branch banks normally cannot give you that much cash on a moments notice. You have to let them know days in advance. In my case, I had to get the money the same day, because it was Friday, and we were flying up on Saturday. I had to go to the main bank downtown to make that withdrawal. I brought a small duffel bag to put the money in. Heck, I didn't know how much space it would take up. (as it turns out, not much). I felt pretty silly carrying that duffel bag with a tiny little stack of money inside. On the way to get the plane I carried the money in a fanny pack worn in the front -- much less conspicuous.

The other crazy thing was that she had an associate with one of those pens to check for counterfeit bills. I get that they need to count it. 450 Benjamins. But running that pen over every one? Really? She was counting and he was doing the pen thing. We were going to get a late start home. After about 100 bills, he got tired of the pen thing and just began neatly stacking the money after she had counted it.

We flew the Cub home and all was good.

I know several people who keep several hundred thousand or more around the house. My uncle used to keep a million in a safe at home. He paid cash for everything. He was a doctor and investor so was all legit. He always said cash in hand will buy a lot more than a check.

I know several people who keep several hundred thousand or more around the house. My uncle used to keep a million in a safe at home. He paid cash for everything. He was a doctor and investor so was all legit. He always said cash in hand will buy a lot more than a check.
Were they alive during the 1930s?

thats a LOT of interest to be missing out on...

thats a LOT of interest to be missing out on...
Usually folks like that have millions actually in the bank, but like to have cash on hand because they either remember what it was like in 1929, or they grew up listening to the stories of someone who did.

My grandfather was a little like that, but he only kept tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands on hand.

I'd have a hard time sleeping at night, knowing I had a million dollars in cash laying around my house.

Pretty sure I'd be calling ahead to whatever bank was nearby (preferably a branch of my bank) and making the arrangements ahead of time. With the specific intent of NOT carrying that much money across the country with me.

With forfeiture laws being what they are if the cops stop you for a traffic violation and find that much money you've just made a major contribution to their budget.

Who's going to eat the merchant fee?

That's a couple bucks on a 49k

As for cash, we would have a much better country if everyone worked only in cash/trade/barter, no paper trails, etc.

James will be along shortly to ***** about government oversight and all his other tin-foil hat stuff...:rolleyes:

Of course.

You mean stolen.

And if you think civil fortitude/theft and for profit policing is about "criminals" I got a bridge to sell you.

Even as a law abiding guy, I'm more likely to be killed and robed by someone who works for the government than some "gangbanger" or "terrorist".

With forfeiture laws being what they are if the cops stop you for a traffic violation and find that much money you've just made a major contribution to their budget.
Do you really believe it would be where they could see it. Jeeeze

Back