Can't get a cold one in Arkansas on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I'm in Murfreesboro AR.
Great weather. Grillin and relaxing.

I asked the woman at this hotel where I can grab some beers and she says "can't buy beer in Arkansas on Sunday"

Is that true? In Texas it's liquor specific.
But grilling and drinking LaCroix is not cutting it.

No one in Arkansas wants to drink Beer on Sundays. They are all at church atoning for Friday night!

No one in Arkansas wants to drink Beer on Sundays. They are all at church atoning for Friday night!

I wanted to and couldn't. That's why I live in Arizona now.

Not the real reason of course but I surely don't miss the blue laws, the hypocrites, the humidity, mosquitoes and tornadoes.

Can't buy alcohol here in Gallup on Sundays, except at a couple high priced hotel bars.

I saw an old sign in an antique shop I wish I had bought. it said, "No alcohol sales to Indians after 3pm"....

Can't buy alcohol here in Gallup on Sundays, except at a couple high priced hotel bars.

I saw an old sign in an antique shop I wish I had bought. it said, "No alcohol sales to Indians after 3pm"....

A bar in a town on the Klamath River in northern California had one that said, "No minors under 21 allowed". I'll leave it to you to figure out why it was worded the way it was, suffice to say that the bar wasn't making a mistake.

She said the closest place I can go to get beer is Texarkana. But I don't have a trans am and a frog.

I had a layover in Texarkana years ago and there was a taco joint next to the hotel. Went over to grab a couple tacos and they had bottled beer on the menu too! Cool, grabbed a couple of those too and back to my room. Had to hurry though as I had to report to fly the morning flight to DFW in a couple of hours. :popcorn:

If only we could legislate mandatory "planning ahead" in other areas of life, not just vice.

Ridiculous.

Some counties in AR are dry all week, not just Sunday.

I guess I've been in KS long enough to know to plan ahead. We have goofy beer laws, too.

We have similar laws in Texas. You can only buy liquor until 9 p.m. and not on Sundays. You can buy beer 7 days a week afternoon but no later than midnight. I really thought we might be the worst or perhaps Oklahoma but flat-out not selling anything on Sunday, me off guard

Things are weird everywhere. I don't know why but in upstate NY (Watertown) you can't buy beer and liquor at the same cash register.

That's one thing we got right in California. Seven days a week, 0600-0200. Grocery stores carry all types of alcoholic beverages, as do most convenience stores. Nevada is even better - 24/7.

They didn't even have the beer and liquor in the same room of the store. I don't know why.

I live in Arkansas. Can't say for sure if there is such a state law or not.. It surprises me. Arkansas is local option by county and I live in a dry county but every other restaurant has a license as a "private club". I don't eat out much so maybe I just haven't ran into such a law. I think that liquor stores are open on Sunday. I don't appreciate a 50 mile round trip to get to one though. I don't think there is a person still alive in the county who voted in the last wet/dry election here. Some time in the 1940s.

Australia has some goofy laws on alcohol. They cannot sell alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) in a supermarket. It can only be bought (outside of a bar) in a package store that only sells alcohol. Nevermind that every supermarket has a package store next to it.

Yep, I’m originally from a dry county in Arkansas too. Lost lots of friends on the roads to/from the liquor stores in the nearest adjacent county.

Always wondered how they got away with that with the separation of church and state and all.

Plus religion is filled with booze, Jesus making moonshine wine, all the monks brewing beer, etc

That's one thing we got right in California. Seven days a week, 0600-0200. Grocery stores carry all types of alcoholic beverages, as do most convenience stores. Nevada is even better - 24/7.

I remember after growing up in OR, moving to just about anywhere else and being confused that there was liquor on the shelves in grocery stores.

Also, I think this was probably the only place I've lived like this, but Mississippi also only sold alcohol Mon-Sat. Had to plan ahead if you wanted to booze in the comfort of your home on Sunday.

Bizarre laws......

Sounds like Wyoming. And the package store might be a drive-up.
Australia has some goofy laws on alcohol. They cannot sell alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) in a supermarket. It can only be bought (outside of a bar) in a package store that only sells alcohol. Nevermind that every supermarket has a package store next to it.

You can still buy beer at a bar. Or private club.

We have some supermarkets here with a separate liquor section too, in NE, but AFAIK, it's not mandated by law. When I saw the same in Australia, I thought it was the same sort of arrangement. Buy groceries, go through the opening in the wall, and buy the booze (Sydney).

Australia has some goofy laws on alcohol. They cannot sell alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) in a supermarket.

Way back in the day as a kid here in Georgia I remember when the supermarkets didn't sell beer or wine. We'd go to FL on vacation and I'd always see beer and wind in the supermarkets there and thought it was weird.

"can't buy beer in Arkansas on Sunday"
Don't know if this is the policy in AR, but back in the day, hunted in a Sunday dry county. One year decided to stay through Tuesday and stopped at our favorite 4 corner gas station, shop-rite, hardware store on Sunday for beer. She smiled and said no beer on Sunday as I approached the counter, beer in hand. As I returned to the cooler....

A local passed me up, grabbed a 12 pack of a different libation, slid it into a paper sack off the pile next to the cooler, paid his $10 and left. I looked to her and she responded the paper sacks are $10, the beer is free.

Don't know if this is the policy in AR, but back in the day, hunted in a Sunday dry county. One year decided to stay through Tuesday and stopped at our favorite 4 corner gas station, shop-rite, hardware store on Sunday for beer. She smiled and said no beer on Sunday as I approached the counter, beer in hand. As I returned to the cooler....

A local passed me up, grabbed a 12 pack of a different libation, slid it into a paper sack off the pile next to the cooler, paid his $10 and left. I looked to her and she responded the paper sacks are $10, the beer is free.

Did you say FREE beer? :D

Next time come me to ND, 7 course meal is available everyday. Burger and 6 pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived all my life in Arkansas. The Sunday beer law is goofy but it’s really not an issue for me. At any one time I generally have a 2-4 week supply of beer. On the off chance a tragedy strikes and I slip up and run out on Sunday I live about 15 miles from Missouri and (not coincidentally) one of the busiest liquor stores in the state.

In Colorado you can only buy wine and hard liquor in liquor stores. But you can buy 3.2 beer in grocery stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back